Stranger Things

BobbyPhil1781

On 10/30/2017 at 6:12 PM, Gmen4ev said:

Just finished season 2.

Minor spoilers ahead.

But does anyone feel like Steve got the shaft this season?

Granted he was a piece of trash early on last season. But as the season progressed he grew up, tried to fix the mistakes that he made, and imo ultimately turned into a better person.

Onto this season he seems to be trying hard to still fix any past mistakes he made. Trying to improve/get better as person. Honestly by the looks of it seemed like a genuine dude who cared about his gf and wanted to try to be the best bf/ person he could be.

Then ultimately gets cussed out by his gf because he tried explaining to her how unreasonable she was(and imo she was being unreasonable), and that ultimately there was nothing they could realistically do (and in all honesty he was right).

He then ends up getting cheated on (assume they hadn't broken up). But rather than reverting back to the piece of filth he was in season 1. He ends up going above and beyond and proving how much of changed man he is and how great of a dude he is.

By the end of season 2 he ends up being a fairly good role model/if not more of a big brother for Dustin.

But we're supposed to sit back and just be fine with Nancy and Jonathan because the nerd is supposed to get the girl in the end?

Not complaining about the show. I just feel like Steve pulled the short straw. And honestly I don't understand why. Hopefully in season 3 we see him find someone better for him than Nancy.

Yeah, Steve is the man. Probably my favorite character.

Incredible season.

Really don't know why people keep calling Jonathan a nerd.  Liking photography is synonymous with a nerd now?  He's far from a nerd.  Not excusing what Nancy did because yeah, she technically cheated on Steve, but it's annoying to see this "Jonathan is a nerd, girl always picks the nerd," whining. 

Don't know why people feel sorry for Steve either.  Why would anyone want to be with someone who doesn't love them or even really like them? 

Also, they're in high school.  If you put that much thought into Steve/Nancy/Jonathan, you kinda missed a TV show, and I'd recommend Twilight. 

On 29/10/2017 at 5:32 PM, jfinley88 said:

agree seemed like a pointless episode that didn't even have the same feel as the other 16 episodes in the series. would've been a nice little stand alone thing in between season 2 and season 3 if that character is important for future seasons imo. which i assume she definitely will. 

Well, they definitely turned it around. Final 3 episodes were great TV :) 

9 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Really don't know why people keep calling Jonathan a nerd.  Liking photography is synonymous with a nerd now?  He's far from a nerd.  Not excusing what Nancy did because yeah, she technically cheated on Steve, but it's annoying to see this "Jonathan is a nerd, girl always picks the nerd," whining. 

Don't know why people feel sorry for Steve either.  Why would anyone want to be with someone who doesn't love them or even really like them? 

Also, they're in high school.  If you put that much thought into Steve/Nancy/Jonathan, you kinda missed a TV show, and I'd recommend Twilight. 

In season one Jonathan was picked on and bullied consistently, he doesn't have friends, only hangs out with his little brother. Definitely stereotypical "Nerd" stuff.

I don't give a crap about the stuff with him and Nancy anyways. I just like Steve's character. He's grown a lot since the beginning of last season, and his interaction with the kids, especially with Dustin is awesome. 

Just now, bigbadbuff23835 said:

In season one Jonathan was picked on and bullied consistently, he doesn't have friends, only hangs out with his little brother. Definitely stereotypical "Nerd" stuff.

No, that's not stereotypical nerd stuff.  None of that is stereotypical nerd stuff.  Loser you could say, but a nerd is a science nerd, a math nerd, overly studious... Call him a loser if you want even though choosing not to have friends doesn't make someone a loser, getting bullied does not make someone a loser, and choosing to hang out with your brother certainly doesn't make you a loser. 

And it's not that I don't like Steve because yeah, he's one of the best characters on the show.  It's just that Jonathan is getting too much crap, and why?  Has he done one selfish thing?  He was obviously into Nancy for a long time, as far as he knew Nancy and Steve had broken up, and he was respectful of their relationship the entire time he thought they were in one.

All I'm saying is that Jonathan is getting a bad reputation from fans really for no reason at all.  He's selfless, brave, kind and the only negative thing people can point to is "he has no friends, hangs out with his much younger brother and got bullied." 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No, that's not stereotypical nerd stuff.  None of that is stereotypical nerd stuff.  Loser you could say, but a nerd is a science nerd, a math nerd, overly studious... Call him a loser if you want even though choosing not to have friends doesn't make someone a loser, getting bullied does not make someone a loser, and choosing to hang out with your brother certainly doesn't make you a loser. 

And it's not that I don't like Steve because yeah, he's one of the best characters on the show.  It's just that Jonathan is getting too much crap, and why?  Has he done one selfish thing?  He was obviously into Nancy for a long time, as far as he knew Nancy and Steve had broken up, and he was respectful of their relationship the entire time he thought they were in one.

All I'm saying is that Jonathan is getting a bad reputation from fans really for no reason at all.  He's selfless, brave, kind and the only negative thing people can point to is "he has no friends, hangs out with his much younger brother and got bullied." 

First off, I said stereotypical, not that that's what constitutes being a nerd. But you get what people are saying, because "nerd" and "loser" are both used in derogatory ways like it or not. 

First off, I said stereotypical, not that that's what constitutes being a nerd. But you get what people are saying, because "nerd" and "loser" are both used in derogatory ways like it or not. 

No, I don't get what you're saying because stereotypical nerd is someone with glasses who over studies.  You're not getting what I'm saying because I'm saying that nerd isn't remotely a good term for what Jonathan is.  You ask somebody on the street to describe a nerd, and literally nobody describes Jonathan.  Google nerd, look at images.  It's not Jonathan.  Jonathan is a Kurt Cobain wannabe, he's not a Sheldon, he's not anybody on The Big Bang Theory, he's not Urkel.  Call him a social outcast, call him a loser, a weirdo, a creep, call him anything but nerd is not the right term for him and that's what I was getting at, and I really don't know why you're still arguing whether or not Jonathan is a stereotypical nerd because every time you or anybody else says Jonathan is a stereotypical nerd, I don't think you know what stereotypical or nerd actually means. 

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No, I don't get what you're saying because stereotypical nerd is someone with glasses who over studies.  You're not getting what I'm saying because I'm saying that nerd isn't remotely a good term for what Jonathan is.  You ask somebody on the street to describe a nerd, and literally nobody describes Jonathan.  Google nerd, look at images.  It's not Jonathan.  Jonathan is a Kurt Cobain wannabe, he's not a Sheldon, he's not anybody on The Big Bang Theory, he's not Urkel.  Call him a social outcast, call him a loser, a weirdo, a creep, call him anything but nerd is not the right term for him and that's what I was getting at, and I really don't know why you're still arguing whether or not Jonathan is a stereotypical nerd because every time you or anybody else says Jonathan is a stereotypical nerd, I don't think you know what stereotypical or nerd actually means. 

Nerd, geek, loser, outcast. Same difference in the highschool world. Getting way too hostile over subjective words lmao.

• Like 1

Nerd, geek, loser, outcast. Same difference in the highschool world. Getting way too hostile over subjective words lmao.

No, they're not.  Nerd and outcast are not remotely the same thing.  That's why you have those stereotypical indicators.  That's why there are multiple words.  That's literally why those words exist.  Why do words exist?  To separate things from other things.  So when you see a group of jocks, you can assume they are into sports.  When you see a group of stoners, you can assume they are into drugs.  When you see a group of goth kids, you can assume they're into a particular niche of music and they dress in dark clothing.  When you see a group of nerds, you can know that they're studious, book smart with little social skills. 

Nerd and geek are close, but they're not the same thing as loser and outcast, and the only reason you're still arguing is because for some unknown reason you feel the need to be right about a trivial issue.  The only reason I'm still arguing is because I can't help arguing when I see someone wrong on the internet. 

They're not subjective words.  They have a definition.  Would you argue that a cat is a canine that barks?  Would you argue that a turtle is a mammal primarily in Africa with spotted skin and a long neck?  How are you going to tell me that words are subjective? 

Edited by HorizontoZenith

7 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No, they're not.  Nerd and outcast are not remotely the same thing.  That's why you have those stereotypical indicators.  That's why there are multiple words.  That's literally why those words exist.  Why do words exist?  To separate things from other things.  So when you see a group of jocks, you can assume they are into sports.  When you see a group of stoners, you can assume they are into drugs.  When you see a group of goth kids, you can assume they're into a particular niche of music and they dress in dark clothing.  When you see a group of nerds, you can know that they're studious, book smart with little social skills. 

Nerd and geek are close, but they're not the same thing as loser and outcast, and the only reason you're still arguing is because for some unknown reason you feel the need to be right about a trivial issue.  The only reason I'm still arguing is because I can't help arguing when I see someone wrong on the internet. 

They're not subjective words.  They have a definition.  Would you argue that a cat is a canine that barks?  Would you argue that a turtle is a mammal primarily in Africa with spotted skin and a long neck?  How are you going to tell me that words are subjective? 

Would I argue that I don't give a crap about any of this? No, I wouldn't

• Like 1