49ers release Navarro Bowman

textaz03

Now would be the perfect time with the bye week.

Him and Lee used to be teammates at Penn State so maybe that could help our chances if we are interested.

Also worth noting our first game after the bye is against the 49ers.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Is he healthy?

He is healthy, but the Achilles injury has limited his range. He’s average in pass defense but still been pretty solid in run defense. His tackles through 4 games would be 2nd on our roster as it stands now. 

2 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Why was he cut??

From what I saw, he was being shopped, but because of his contract size, no takers. He had a sit down meeting last night with GM and HC, they agreed to part ways at his request so he could start a new chapter

59 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

Why was he cut??

Big contract, diminishing returns, poor cover skills (new system, new requirements).

Look everyone, I know it seems like a good opportunity to fix the Lb issue. But where are you going to play him?

At Mike, over Hitchens, who knows the system thoroughly and can cover better, while hitting just as hard and tracking the ball just as well? 

At Will, over Lee, who is the best player on this defense over the last 8 years, covers tremendously well and is known for finding the ball?

At Sam, where he best fits this system, but also where he will see 20 snaps a game if hes lucky but likely seek Lee level money?

Not worth it. Honestly Jaylon played poorly, and Lee not up to par, and Hitch has been out, but signinf a big name big buck FA isnt going to solve a problem it will only create a new one.

10 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Big contract, diminishing returns, poor cover skills (new system, new requirements).

Look everyone, I know it seems like a good opportunity to fix the Lb issue. But where are you going to play him?

At Mike, over Hitchens, who knows the system thoroughly and can cover better, while hitting just as hard and tracking the ball just as well? 

At Will, over Lee, who is the best player on this defense over the last 8 years, covers tremendously well and is known for finding the ball?

At Sam, where he best fits this system, but also where he will see 20 snaps a game if hes lucky but likely seek Lee level money?

Not worth it. Honestly Jaylon played poorly, and Lee not up to par, and Hitch has been out, but signinf a big name big buck FA isnt going to solve a problem it will only create a new one.

I'm not seeing any of those problems. Bowman isn't getting big money. Hitch/Bowman interchangeable at Sam/Mike. Jaylon gets to do what was intended from start. Bowman > Wilbur, Durant, and Wilson, not close. Better than Smith atm too.

Bowman is a four time all pro. You think he isnt going to want a payday? He is salivating over his release from a losing squad with a chance to get paid again while joining a better team. 

Im no expert on the numbers by any means, but you are probably looking at a multi-year deal worth at or around what Lee is getting. While I wont argue his being upgrade at Sam, you do realize the Sam on this defense plays like 20 snaps only, right? While Wilbur and Wilson arent great, they are also low value players playing a low value position. 

Sure, itd be an upgrade, but for an all pro price at a position of very little value to the team. Itz be a waste. 

If you play him at Mike, yiure telling me to sit Hitch and/or move him to Sam. In exchange for what? The same style of play albeit with a bit more sideline to sideline pursuit ability but a big downgrade in coverage?

Its not a fit, man. Again, and I keep saying this, it isnt Madden my man. You cant just plug in a high overall rating guy and call it making your team better. The guys contract, the role he would play, and how it fits thensystem and the team all need to be accounted for, and in this instance, it does not work 

Archived