Maximum Carnage Mafia (Legacy) - GAME OVER Bcb wins and everyone else loses, lol

Blue

10 hours ago, SwAg said:

Okay, so we have made it through our lesson on how Anthony Kennedy is a terrible writer and an even worse legal scholar.

My term paper in advanced criminal law was about how poor writing in Atkins v. Virginia made it a decision without any legal teeth. Not everyone is a Scalia.

10 hours ago, The Orca said:

Need the to long didnt read

Gays can diddle each other and there’s nothing the states can do about it.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Serious question:

Legally, how would a missing comma make such a profound impact on the outcome of a case? And, what are the ramifications for all parties involved and legal precedent?

A serial comma (Oxford comma) indicates when things are a part of a list. If you leave it out, it creates an ambiguity on things being together. That can really screw up a list that relies on “ors,” but “ands” get ****ed up too.

Any scenario where you have a list, if you leave out the serial comma, it can make the last two items appear to be a single class, separate from the test of the list.

And in contract law, if there’s an ambiguity, it gets construed against the drafter. So if you write contracts without them, you’re borderline committing malpractice IMO.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Daniel said:

My term paper in advanced criminal law was about how poor writing in Atkins v. Virginia made it a decision without any legal teeth. Not everyone is a Scalia.

Gays can diddle each other and there’s nothing the states can do about it.

A serial comma (Oxford comma) indicates when things are a part of a list. If you leave it out, it creates an ambiguity on things being together. That can really screw up a list that relies on “ors,” but “ands” get ****ed up too.

Any scenario where you have a list, if you leave out the serial comma, it can make the last two items appear to be a single class, separate from the test of the list.

And in contract law, if there’s an ambiguity, it gets construed against the drafter. So if you write contracts without them, you’re borderline committing malpractice IMO.

It’s actually amusing in some contract contexts.  “Contract black holes” where corporations use the same exact contract language from their original contract template from the 1800s to preserve the original meaning, and no one actually knows what it means because there is no reading of it that actually realistically means anything, but people keep suing over it for some reason.

I suppose updating it with a disclaimer of no substantive changes would remove a fallback option for them to frivolously argue plaintiffs into bankruptcy that whatever claim against them is actually addressed in that provision someone.

4 minutes ago, SwAg said:

It’s actually amusing in some contract contexts.  “Contract black holes” where corporations use the same exact contract language from their original contract template from the 1800s to preserve the original meaning, and no one actually knows what it means because there is no reading of it that actually realistically means anything, but people keep suing over it for some reason.

I feel like this started because their lawyers were lazy and didn't want to draw up a new template.

Because I will move heaven and earth to not make a template from scratch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SwAg said:

I mean, in terms of work for me, yeah.  In terms of the stupid contracts people have, I would definitely want to tear it up and start anew.

And this is one of the many reasons I try to stay out of transactional law.

Although it is hard to be a trial lawyer when you don't have trials.