Steelers set to name Canada OC

warfelg

19 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Dulac also reported that we would be bringing in another QB coach. Canada isn’t doing both.

I usually roll my eyes when someone says “oh that player would be a great coach”....but I really hope we go after a former, younger pro QB. 

One of my biggest knocks on Tomlin has been his handling of the coaching stage. I think it’s time he really tries to build a pipeline instead of relying on hold overs and older generation guys. This QB spot with a pro guy combined with a college-esqu OC like Canada is a good start. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 43M said:

Only happy cuz its NOT Hue Jackson, but I don't expect much from Canada.   Hopefully, he proves me wrong, but its very doubtful.

I hate it because it's an in house hire and I'm afraid it's gonna mean more of the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

I hate it because it's an in house hire and I'm afraid it's gonna mean more of the same.

Even though he is technically an in-house hire, I don't think the in-house hire argument makes much sense for Canada. If this hire is made last year, he's considered a college coach with an innovative scheme and everybody would be incredibly pleased. Adding him to the staff put the steelers in the top 10 for teams utilizing motion pre-snap. 

The most concerning part of Canada's resume is how many times he's been fired; it's unclear whether it was his personality, his schemes etc. that led to such firings. Nonetheless, he certainty brings some innovation to an offense that has been stale for a long time so I'm looking forward to seeing what he draws up. 

7 hours ago, warfelg said:

The good thing about it though is that Canada has only been here one year and was a completely outside hire. He doesnt have a long standing relationship with Ben. Fichtner was here 11 years, 10 of which were spent as the QB coach directly working with Ben. That's a lot of time together. 

Im hoping Canada's one year helps with terminology flips, but that his direction is going to be completely different. 

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Our best OC in the last 20 years was a huge jerk(Haley). I don't care if Canada is prickly, I just want a good offense. 

Respectfully....Haley was absolutely not our best OC.   Whiz and Arians were both better.    Haley just had insane talent to work with and still often made our offense look anemic.  As bad as Arians was at times with playcalling, I feel he was instrumental in Ben's development.   I feel like Haleys ego clashed with Bens and often held us back.   Ben had some great years under Haley, but I feel like almost any OC with that talent couldve had success.    Whiz wasnt special either, but I feel like his time here was a bit muted due to the fact he was running a Marty-ball offense under Cowhers direction.

We really havent had a great offensive coordinator.  There arent many out there.   Arians and Whiz were flawed, but serviceable.    Haley was bad....but Fitchner made me miss Haley.

56 minutes ago, 43M said:

Respectfully....Haley was absolutely not our best OC.   Whiz and Arians were both better.    Haley just had insane talent to work with and still often made our offense look anemic.  As bad as Arians was at times with playcalling, I feel he was instrumental in Ben's development.   I feel like Haleys ego clashed with Bens and often held us back.   Ben had some great years under Haley, but I feel like almost any OC with that talent couldve had success.    Whiz wasnt special either, but I feel like his time here was a bit muted due to the fact he was running a Marty-ball offense under Cowhers direction.

We really havent had a great offensive coordinator.  There arent many out there.   Arians and Whiz were flawed, but serviceable.    Haley was bad....but Fitchner made me miss Haley.

That is actually what was going through my head as I was typing my post. I was thinking of Haley’s development of Ben, which I saw as more important than anything any other OC we’ve had. I agree with you that the pickings are slim if people are yearning for the days of Haley. 

• Like 1