NBA 2K21 Franchise - Pistons GM

MKnight82

15 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Great updates, sucks that you weren't able to get a franchise big and lost your starting center. Can't wait to see Vernie scoring close to 30 a game. Did you figure out how to correct the shot clock?

Ya you can force rule changes in the offseason.  So it’s back to normal.

@MKnight82 I haven't played 2K since 2K18, is the reason you aren't doing myGM because of the Action Points?  I saw how cheap the game was today and picked it up, why in the world would they ever make this a thing.  

I found a way to give myself 13 points per day so I don't think it will be too big an issue but are you unable to sim multiple days in a row?  Can't tell if I'm missing something or if you can only advance a day at a time...

16 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

@MKnight82 I haven't played 2K since 2K18, is the reason you aren't doing myGM because of the Action Points?  I saw how cheap the game was today and picked it up, why in the world would they ever make this a thing.  

I found a way to give myself 13 points per day so I don't think it will be too big an issue but are you unable to sim multiple days in a row?  Can't tell if I'm missing something or if you can only advance a day at a time...

Ya basically you have to go day to day doing waste of time stuff like chit chatting with staff.  

I love following your threads but feels like exactly what I am afraid of for the Pistons.  They will continue to not get an elite player and keep running a bunch of 80 overall caliber players out there and try to compete.  It feels like the same thing is going to happen to you that always happens to the Pistons and you find a player good enough to keep you out of a top pick and struggle to hit on super stars in the 5-14 pick range.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I love following your threads but feels like exactly what I am afraid of for the Pistons.  They will continue to not get an elite player and keep running a bunch of 80 overall caliber players out there and try to compete.  It feels like the same thing is going to happen to you that always happens to the Pistons and you find a player good enough to keep you out of a top pick and struggle to hit on super stars in the 5-14 pick range.  

In Vernie we trust

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Side note, are you able to use uploaded draft classes still?  I havent played in a couple of years but always found it more fun to simulate with real players in future years.  Is there a reason you chose not to do that if it is still an option. 

Yes you can still download and share draft classes.  

I personally prefer the cpu generated classes.  There are many reasons for this.  First, I don't follow college basketball enough to know who the top prospects are so having them in a draft class isn't any different for me than a random one.  Second, I find that a lot of the user generated classes are overpowered.  Third, I enjoy the randomness of the cpu generating the classes.

• Like 2

TRADE DEADLINE UPDATE

I am 18-35 at the deadline, 13th in the East and already 10 games behind the 8 seed.  I'm definitely not making the playoffs.  Bummer to take such a huge step back this year. I knew losing Precious and Hayes would hurt but I didn't know it would be this bad.  I have a bottom 5 offense in the league.  SG Vernie is averaging 25.4 ppg but he's not getting any other help from anyone.  My #2 scorer is SG Madison (13.3 ppg) who comes off of the bench.  Precious averaged 13.7 rebounds per game last year, his replacement Hudson is averaging 9.0.  Killian Hayes averaged 9.6 assists per game last year, Elliot is averaging 3.5.  

I like PG Elliot as a fit but he's a 3 & D guy, not an offensive facilitator.  SG Vernie obviously isn't going anywhere, and I like PF Kerimoglu's size and ability to stretch the floor from 3.  But Elliot and Kerimoglu are just complimentary players.  I need a SF that can be a point forward offensive threat.  Also I don't think Hudson should be starting at Center.  

I have three first round picks for this upcoming draft, all three are trending towards being lottery picks.  So I have no immediate need to pick up more picks. However I do have some players with expiring contracts that I might need to consider moving on from. 

*TRADE*

Spurs Receive

PF Rickey Stone (82)

SF Fausto Garbaldi (71)

Pistons Receive

C Willard Forbes (80)

2030 Spurs 1st Round Pick, unprotected

It sucks to trade Stone because he was my first draft pick of this rebuild, but he just doesn't make any impact on the court.  Maybe a change of scenery will help his career.  The Spurs asked for Garbaldi too and I don't really care about him so sure.  

Forbes was in the same draft class as Stone so he's also an expiring contract and he wasn't starting for the Spurs (the Spurs drafted a superior Center prospect the following year).  My intention is to give Forbes a contract extension if he asks for something reasonable.  I picked up a future first way down the line too.  

Forbes will enter the starting lineup for the rest of the season.

End of the Season – Year 6

Final Record 30-52, 13th place in East, and 27 games out of first place.  Terrible.

Season Stats

Season Stats - Year 6
Points Per Game Rebounds Per Game Assists Per Game Steals Per Game Blocks Per Game
SG Alec Vernie 24.9 C Willard Forbes 12.1 PG Donte Elliot 3.9 PG Donte Elliot 1.5 PF Omer Kerimoglu 1.4
SG Antonio Madison 12.7 C Louie Hudson 9.0 C Louie Hudson 3.6 PG Lonnie Anthony 1.3 C Willard Forbes 1.2
PF Omer Kerimoglu 12.3 PF Omer Kerimoglu 7.8 SG Alec Vernie 3.4 C Willard Forbes 1.1 C Louie Hudson 0.6

Vernie's scoring was down a bit, but that makes sense with Hayes not feeding him the ball.  Forbes is obviously a much better rebounder than Hudson.  Assists were pretty terrble across the board.  

Final Standings

End of the Season Standings - Year 6
West East
Seed Team Record Seed Team Record
1 Nuggets 63-19 1 Knicks 57-25
2 Suns 55-27 2 Hornets 55-27
3 Rockets 50-32 3 76ers 52-30
4 Kings 49-33 4 Celtics 51-31
5 Spurs 47-35 5 Hawks 50-32
6 Grizzlies 47-35 6 Bucks 49-33
7 Timberwolves 41-41 7 Raptors 48-34
8 Pelicans 39-43 8 Heat 45-37
9 Warriors 38-44 9 Cavaliers 45-37
10 Mavericks 38-44 10 Pacers 39-43
11 Jazz 37-45 11 Magic 36-46
12 Thunder 34-48 12 Nets 32-50
13 Lakers 25-57 13 Pistons 30-52
14 Trailblazers 22-60 14 Bulls 25-57
15 Clippers 13-69 15 Wizards 18-64
*Indicates I have their first round pick

Award Winners

MVP – Luka Doncic, Nuggets

ROTY – Henrik Andersson, Magic

6th Man of the Year – Marvin Bagley, Kings 

Defensive POTY – Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks

Most Improved Player – Bryan Solomon (#1 pick in 2024) 

Coach of the Year – Mike Malone

1st Team All NBA

G – Trae Young, Hawks

G – Luka Doncic, Nuggets

F – Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks

F – Anthony Davis, Lakers

C – Bryan Solomon, Heat (#1 pick in 2024)

2nd Team All NBA

G – Stephen Curry, Lakers

G – Lamelo Ball, Hornets

F – Jayson Tatum, Celtics

F – Kenny Reece, Wizards (#16 pick in 2022)

C – Nikola Jokic, Rockets

3rd Team All NBA

G – Chuck Ingram, Knicks (#2 pick in 2021)

G – Radoslav Bilic, Pacers (#6 pick in 2021)

F – Zion Williamson, Pelicans

F – Jaren Jackson Jr, Kings

C – Deandre Ayton, Suns

All Rookie 1st Team

C – Henrik Andersson, Magic (#30 in 2024)

F – Sheldon Marks, Bulls (#7)

C – Cecil McLeod, Grizzlies (#41)

G – Walter Benson, Kings (#19 in 2024)

G – Luis Finley, Bucks (#9)

All Rookie 2nd Team

G – Preston West, Lakers (#6)

G – Conrad Palmer, Mavericks (#4)

F – Alfred Ball, Nuggets (#18)

G – Doyle Graham, Knicks (#16 in 2024) 

G – Todd Nixon (#14)

Edited by MKnight82

Offseason Happenings

The #2 seed Suns won the NBA Championship over the #1 seed Knicks.  

Deandre Jordan won Finals MVP. 

Notable Retirements: Kevin Love, Mike Conley, Danilo Gallinari, Jrue Holiday, CJ McCollum

Staff Retirements: Melvin Hunt

HOF Inductees: None

Jersey Retirements: None

League Meetings: Nothing  

Draft Lottery

nba-draft-lottery.jpg

I have the #5 (via Lakers), #6 (my own) and #11 (via Mavericks) odds in this draft. The top 5 odds are:

1.       Clippers (14.0%)

2.       Wizards (14.0%)

3.       Trailblazers (14.0%)

4.       Bulls (12.5%)   

5.       Pistons via Lakers (10.5%) 

Who’s it going to be…..

My pick at 11 held at 11.  My pick at 6 fell to 7.  My pick at 5 moved up to pick 3.  The Bulls jumped from 4 up to 2.  The Magic won the lottery.  Wow.  

Current Staff - Year 7
CFO Assistant GM Head Coach Assistant Coach Head Scout Trainer
Andrew Moore Owen Masters Logan Schmidt Chris Paul Kuba Gooding Sean Lee
4 years - $800k 3 years - $800k 3 years - $5.50 4 years - $1.0 3 years - $500k 3 years - $500k
Business - B+ Contracts - A- Offense - A- Offense - B+ Scouting - A Training - B+
Potential - C+ Trading - B Defense - B+ Defense - D- Potential - B+ Potential - B
  Potential - C Potential - B- Potential - B+    
Previous Staff
CFO Assistant GM Head Coach Assistant Coach Head Scout Trainer
Andrew Moore Owen Masters Logan Schmidt Deon Blount Kuba Gooding Sean Lee
1 years - $800k 4 years - $800k 4 years - $5.50 1 year - $900k 4 years - $500k 4 years - $500k
Business - B+ Contracts - A- Offense - A- Offense - B Scouting - A Training - B+
Potential - B- Trading - B Defense - B- Defense - B- Potential - A- Potential - B
  Potential - C Potential - B Potential - B-    

2026 NBA Draft

nbadraftlogo.png

Draft Picks

Round 1 – 3 overall

Round 1 - 7 overall

Round 1 - 11 overall

Round 2 - 36 overall

So I can't just go BPA here, I have legitimate needs on my roster.  Specifically I have a huge need at SF.  The top SF in this class is Samuel Rose, who's listed as the 4th best prospect.  The issue is that the 2nd & 3rd best prospects are Euro stashes, and the cpu usually passes on Euro stashes early.  So with the 3rd pick, there's a serious risk Rose goes before my pick.  The top player is a really good PG, so in the case that Rose went #1 overall (I don't think he will) I could just take the PG and he'd be an upgrade over Elliot.  Not ideal but still worthy of the pick.  So I think I need to move up from 3 to 2.  

*TRADE*

Bulls Receive

#3 overall pick 

#36 overall pick

PG Lonnie Anthony (75)

Pistons Receive

#2 overall pick

The Bulls get Anthony, a 20 year old PG prospect with B+ potential and pick 36 just for moving down 1 pick.  

The Magic take PG Drew Brand (78) #1 overall.  That leaves me Rose.  

With the 2nd Pick in the NBA Draft the Detroit Pistons Select:

SF Samuel Rose, High School

PyCdczv.jpg

DE Rank Position Name Height Weight Wingspan School OVR Potential
4 SF Samuel Rose 6'10" 214 6'9" High School 74 A

INS MID 3PT INS D PER D PLMK REB IQ PHYS
B C B+ D+ C D D- C- A

He's a great athlete (99 LQ, 99 SPD, 71 ACC, 90 VERT) who can shoot and is very young.  He's a decent enough perimeter defender but unfortunately is not the passer I was hoping for.  He also only has 1 badge, the Pick & Roller badge.  He will start right away.  

Ok I'm on the clock again at 7.  The Bulls take SG Lucas Tate (78) at 3.  He's a pretty good all around player.  The Wizards take C Nihat Akyel (80) at 4, he might be the best player in this class but he's not coming to the NBA for 2 years.  That is a bummer I would have loved to have taken him at 7.  He's a Stretch 5 btw.  The Celtics take SG Wallace Goodwin (74) at 5.  He is a combo guard, I don't think he would have been at the top of my list.  Unfortunately the Trailblazers take PF Mirko Popovic (79) at 6, he was the other talented eurostash.  I'm on the clock.  

Here are the top players available at 7: 

5 PF Tom Arthur 6'10" 227 6'11" Duquesne 78 A

C+ B B+ B+ D D- C B- B-

Arthur is a Stretch 4 with good shooting, good interior defense and ok rebounding.  His athletic profile (80 LQ, 80 SPD, 64 ACC, 70 VERT) is quite elite for his size.  He has the Rim Protector badge and his 78 OVR is the highest left in the class.  He could replace Stone as my top big off of the bench.  

9 C Laurence Roberts 7'0" 256 7'7" St John's 76 A

B- A C- A- F F A C- C

Robert is a traditional big with size, great rebounder and interior defender.  He can shoot a little bit too.  His athleticism (59 LQ, 51 SPD, 48 ACC, 68 VERT) is quite poor.  He has a bunch of badges though, Putback Boss, Difficult Shots, Pick & Popper, Dream Shake, Rim Protector and Worm.  If you put those badges on Tom Arthur and he'd be a sick prospect.  

15 SF Patric Baker 6'9" 211 7'6" Wichita St 74 A-

B+ B+ D D C- D- D- C- A-

Baker is a great athlete with a sick wingspan.  61 LQ, 99 SPD, 82 ACC, 98 VERT with a 7'6" wingspan is a force to be reckoned with.  He's super raw though, with no real talents at this point.  His only badge is Fastbreak Finisher.  

I do have another pick at 11.  I think Baker is my main target for that pick as he feels like a reach here.  So that leaves Arthur vs Roberts.  The only thing Roberts has going for him over Arthur is the badges.  The thing is, the Center I just traded for has great badges too, and I have Sundin coming over from Europe next year.  I do need to fill the backup PF spot after trading Stone.  Also there's always the chance Kerimoglu bombs.  Arthur's athletic profile gives him high upside, and his shooting and interior defense make him a good role player right away.  

With the 7th Pick in the NBA Draft the Detroit Pistons Select:

PF Tom Arthur, Duquesne

yJzsOxL.jpg

He will be in the rotation right away.  

Ok I have a pick at 11 too.  Laurence Roberts goes immediately at pick 8.  Bummer.  Baker has fallen to 11, he's the pick.  

With the 11th Pick in the NBA Draft the Detroit Pistons Select:

SF Patric Baker, Wichita St

u0uUwvD.jpg

He's a super raw long term prospect on the wing.  

That's it for this draft.  Lot's of depth at both forward spots from this class, exactly what I needed.  

Edited by MKnight82