House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16

Acgott

Hmm. Kind of disappointing. Episode 9 was always the big one in GoT, so somewhat my fault for expecting more I guess.

Seriously manufactured tension. Are we to believe it actually made a difference who got to Aegon first? Like that changed everything? Even Alicent admitted that Otto would still try to convince Aegon to kill Rhaenyra.

And Rhaenys...what a missed opportunity. Everyone lined up with no defense. That was a cool scene, but it also just makes no sense. I know Rhaenys isn't a bad person, but boy that was just a dumb decision to fly off.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Hmm. Kind of disappointing. Episode 9 was always the big one in GoT, so somewhat my fault for expecting more I guess.

Seriously manufactured tension. Are we to believe it actually made a difference who got to Aegon first? Like that changed everything? Even Alicent admitted that Otto would still try to convince Aegon to kill Rhaenyra.

And Rhaenys...what a missed opportunity. Everyone lined up with no defense. That was a cool scene, but it also just makes no sense. I know Rhaenys isn't a bad person, but boy that was just a dumb decision to fly off.

Guess it's time to go to TAST.....😂

What I don't get is that she had no problem with the likely dozens if not hundreds of people dying when her dragon busted through the floor, why stop at the entire group of people who you saw as usurping the throne?  Her not wanting to be a butcher would have had a lot more weight if she didn't literally just kill a boatload of innocent bystanders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

What I don't get is that she had no problem with the likely dozens if not hundreds of people dying when her dragon busted through the floor, why stop at the entire group of people who you saw as usurping the throne?  Her not wanting to be a butcher would have had a lot more weight if she didn't literally just kill a boatload of innocent bystanders.

I don't see it that way. She has known Alicent since she was a girl. She knows Rhaenyra reconciled with Alicent. She also knows what its like the be an overlooked woman in the game. That bedroom scene set it up for me. She sympathized with Alicent because she knows that Alicent didn't want to be there in that moment but ultimately she had no choice and was just protecting her family. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I don't see it that way. She has known Alicent since she was a girl. She knows Rhaenyra reconciled with Alicent. She also knows what its like the be an overlooked woman in the game. That bedroom scene set it up for me. She sympathized with Alicent because she knows that Alicent didn't want to be there in that moment but ultimately she had no choice and was just protecting her family. 

She also knew that the Hightower's were coming to kill all of Rhaneyra's family, including her granddaughters (and illegitimate grandsons), not to mention probably herself as soon as they have the chance.

13 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

If she saw herself as a prisoner that needed the dragon to hatch her escape, her showing mercy to them as she departed might be a showing of good will she hopes would be returned to her later on. She doesn’t want to kill family or partake in wanton savagery or war. 
On the subject of why did she kill a hundred civilians and relent on the usurpers? Peasants have considerably less value than anyone of higher perceived standing. It’s like crashing through the floor and stepping on dozens of rats. 

1 hour ago, mattyice0401 said:

So basically Aegon is a sick ****?, can only imagine what kinda of ish he would do.

Well, just of what we know:

• Rapist
  • Frequents child fighting pits
  • Alcoholic
  • No self control
  • No sense of responsibility
  • No morals
  • Generally seems to be a moron

So yeah, the longer he's around, it's likely going to be pretty messed up.

It’s interesting to me that this show has wiped the floor with season 1 of the ROP, when the source material(as far as I know)seemed far more intriguing in ROP. The ROP had the rise of Sauron in middle earth and the orcs, balrogs, the peak of the dwarves, the failings of the elves and the birth of the ringwraiths for godssakes. This is just a family soap opera, a struggle for legacy and the iron throne. Maybe that singular focus gave it the advantage. But I think it speaks volumes more about the production qualities of HBO vs Amazon and the showrunners of each. The characters are fleshed out more and seem more real and believable. Not annoying. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Well, just of what we know:

• Rapist
  • Frequents child fighting pits
  • Alcoholic
  • No self control
  • No sense of responsibility
  • No morals
  • Generally seems to be a moron

So yeah, the longer he's around, it's likely going to be pretty messed up.

Good. Because up to this point the show hasn't really given me anyone I want to hate. 

11 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

She also knew that the Hightower's were coming to kill all of Rhaneyra's family, including her granddaughters (and illegitimate grandsons), not to mention probably herself as soon as they have the chance.

Honestly, it might seem like a cop out, and it kinda is, but dragons. She's got em, her chosen allies got em, and her new enemies have significantly less. They even point that out int he episode. If I have the hand with the majority of the dragons, Im also overconfident AF. 

1 hour ago, SMashMouthMike said:

So why was that dragon in kings landing? I guess she came to kings landing on that dragon. And is there any obvious way to tell the dragons apart?

Rhaenys (really all dragonriders) almost always use their dragons to travel long distance.  You are correct in stating she rode her dragon to King's Landing.

All dragons in King's Landing are kept in a huge building called the Dragonpit, which houses all domesticated dragons. The dragons there are protected by dragon keepers while the people are out doing their business. Aegon's coronation took place in the Dragonpit for many reasons, like it being able to house the most people (witnesses) and as a show of strength.

The showrunners have done their best to make it easy tell the dragons apart physically. They are different colors, sizes, and have different body types. The best way to tell them apart besides their unique designs is also by who is riding them. Dragons and their dragonriders have a special bond; no dragon will let a human ride them as long as their current rider is alive. For example, if Aemond had tried to take Vhagar while Laena was still alive, Vhagar would have killed Aemond.

Here is Rhaenys' dragon, Meleys:

Meleys-in-House-of-the-Dragon-Episode-5-

Here is Aemond's dragon, Vhagar:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by seminoles1
  • Like 2

• Acgott changed the title to House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16