House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16

Acgott

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Try to view it as if the first 7 episodes were them just showing the viewers the backstory to the overall story.  Otherwise if they didn't have time jumps to rely on, then the show may as well have just started where it was in Episode 8.  But then we wouldn't know anything about Alicent/Rhaenyra's past, Otto's obvious motivations or how/why Alicent married Viserys, etc. 

It was a necessary evil.  At the end of the day, the main story is Dance of the Dragons.  So they just needed to explain to the viewers why everything is the way it is before jumping into that.  IIRC, there are no more massive time jumps left.  So we're done with the backstory and can focus on the main story.

But that's my gripe, it took them 3/4s of a  season of confusing time jumps and recasts so they could tell a.... 2-3 episode story? I get that it's going to be for the greater good of the next 4 seasons, but it makes for a very bad season one. Surely, there's a better way to make season one good while including some backstory. I think it was a poor way to go about it. 

12 hours ago, NickButera said:

But that's my gripe, it took them 3/4s of a  season of confusing time jumps and recasts so they could tell a.... 2-3 episode story? I get that it's going to be for the greater good of the next 4 seasons, but it makes for a very bad season one. Surely, there's a better way to make season one good while including some backstory. I think it was a poor way to go about it. 

I think there's a balance they need to strike between showing what's happened, and hand holding the audience through it all. I'd prefer the show to do the former as it provides better replay value than one that hits you over the head so you can follow along. The downside is some viewers may struggle to keep up, but I think it's better than a simplified approach. The characters we've watched grow up in season 1 are going to take us through the rest of the show, and gives us an understanding of where they've come from to better explain their personalities and decisions, instead of a heavy-handed "I can't believe my former best friend married my father, and is now pushing her children onto the throne!" type of one-liner.

23 hours ago, NickButera said:

My wife and I are trying so, SO hard to enjoy this. But the writers are making it extremely difficult to enjoy. We're almost at the seasons end, and they're still time skipping, replacing actors, some people have visibly aged, some re-casted and others looks the same, they continually refer to characters that have only had 2-4 scenes and minimal lines, etc. We spent the first 20 minutes of the episode trying to catch up on who's who, what's happened since 5-10 years ago, etc, that we're having a hard time just enjoying the story.  GoT was one of my favorite TV shows I've watched, and it feels like they just flopped on this one because they're trying to do too much.  We'll be loyal watchers and may even re-watch it, but it's a shame it can't be enjoyed on its first watch through. 

I actually thought the most recent episode with the dinner was one of my favorite scenes in all of GOT.

I don't mind the time jumps as much because it's still obvious who all the characters are. Not like Daario going from Francis one season to the guy from the flight attendant inbetween seasons. 

Might be because I hyped myself up for a big episode 9, but I feel like not that much really happened. 

Spoiler

Aegon became king, which we already knew would happen after last week's episode. I guess the big twist was Rhaenys pledging her allegiance of some sort to Rhaenyra and we found out that there has been planning for this moment behind the scenes for a while, but we're kind of in the same place we were at the end of the previous episode. I guess I was expecting a bigger episode before the season finale as GOT has always done that. 

It was good to see that Alicent was against her father's way of going about it though. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 1:05 AM, NickButera said:

I think you're expectations were just different than what the show has done.  ALL of season 1 is the prelude up to the war.  The season finale almost assuredly has the first real shots of that war.  Season 2 will be when the war begins in earnest and I believe they have said they are now done with time jumps.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 2

I just watched it. Last night as I was going to bed i realized I’d forgotten there was a new episode lol. First time I’ve forgotten since season 4 of GoT, when I first got HBO. 

It wasn’t a bad episode. I wanted Aemond to off Aegon because it’s clear he’s the only competent baddy of the 3 kids. I also wonder if Rhaenys specifically regrets not taking the shot when she had it. One word and she wipes out the entire gang. 

Holy crap that ending. The last 4-5 episodes have just been nuts. 

Also this show uses music SO well to build tension

This episode was probably the most I have liked Alicent. I know a lot don’t like her but she’s far from the worst. 

Love Aemond. Aegon (Alicent’s) seems like he’ll be even worse/more cruel than Joffrey. 

• Like 2

• Acgott changed the title to House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16