House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16

Acgott

8 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Pretty sure that's a different spinoff series. There's been lots of talk that this series will turn into an anthology series after the Dance of the Dragons is done. Sapochnik compared this storyline to Star Wars starting with episode IV. They can go backwards or forwards from here.

That makes sense. Would be a cool idea. Aegons conquest, blackfyre rebellions, Robert rebellion. Definitely some good options

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Laena holy he**, was not expecting that at all, im not entirely sure why she did it, she seemed happy ish. Wonder how that affects Daemon and his daughters.

She was about to die in childbirth, something very common in the middle ages Westeros is modeled after, and she wanted to go out a dragonrider in a blaze of fire.

I found it very interesting that Daemon didn't make the same choice Viserys did and make Laena's last moments horrific just to maybe get a male heir.  Daemon certainly has his faults, but he's one up on Viserys here.

11 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

She was about to die in childbirth, something very common in the middle ages Westeros is modeled after, and she wanted to go out a dragonrider in a blaze of fire.

I found it very interesting that Daemon didn't make the same choice Viserys did and make Laena's last moments horrific just to maybe get a male heir.  Daemon certainly has his faults, but he's one up on Viserys here.

Ahh I didnt know that, I thought she just lost her child thats it.

I do agree with the 2nd place as well, I found that sorta peculiar as well for Daemon. Wonder if hes getting more of a soft heart per se.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

How is Viserys still alive. He looks like death warmed over. And if he is still alive how does he not even try to step in mediate what is clearly happening between Alicent and Rhaenyra. This guy is a pretty terrible king

Seriously. He's still the king. If he wants Jacaerys and Helaena to be married, he can make it so very easily.

• Like 1

Pretty hard to empathize with any of these characters. Hope they all die painful deaths after living lives full of regret. I guess I’m rooting for daemon to rattle some cages now before going out.

It’s missing a lot of what made the 1st season of GOT so good. But it wasn’t ever going to match that I guess. What are the other provinces/houses doing for example. It’s not bad, a lot of it has been very good…the acting, dialog, visual effects. But in terms of just the story, it’s more of a soap opera to me than I’d like. 

Next week though, it appears as though the violence ramps up. That will be welcome. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

I'm glad Laenor isn't dead, but poor Corlys and Rhaenys. I guess everyone got what they wanted, but poor family of Laenor right after Laena was killed. I'm glad they had the twist that he was alive because that would have made neither of the two main characters likeable.

A better episode. A serious slow burn where you had to read a lot of body language, which I liked.

Everyone needs to hire new guards because the fact that the kids could fight for that long, Alicent could get that close to and injure Rhaenyra, and Qarl could "kill" Laenor is kind of pathetic.

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm glad they had the twist that he was alive because that would have made neither of the two main characters likeable.

There’s 2 characters in this that are …(gulp)…likeable? That’s a stretch. Lol. 

Edit. I guess it wasn’t the little boy but the guy that daemon killed that was in the pyre. Regardless, these characters are just about irredeemable to me. Bring on that civil war and turn this circus into a train wreck.

Edited by SMashMouthMike

7 hours ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Edit. I guess it wasn’t the little boy but the guy that daemon killed that was in the pyre. Regardless, these characters are just about irredeemable to me. Bring on that civil war and turn this circus into a train wreck.

Agreed. I can't really find one character that I'm rooting for. Maybe Viserys because everyone else are jerks? 

Great episode overall though. Best of the season. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Also, did anyone else find this episode maddingly dark? Like, I could barely tell who was on screen half the time

Yes.

But I always thought that the boy that rode the dragon was a little girl until this episode. Aegeon? Aegon? the eyeless, lol. Otto is gonna turn him to the dark side. 

54 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Yes.

But I always thought that the boy that rode the dragon was a little girl until this episode. Aegeon? Aegon? the eyeless, lol. Otto is gonna turn him to the dark side. 

Aemond. He's clearly already turned to the dark side considering his actions and words after claiming Vhagar.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, SMashMouthMike said:

I meant moreso that they would make each of the two main characters (Rhaenyra and Alicent) completely on the wrong side of grey as opposed to having both good and bad qualities. As much as the show runners have said this show keeps everyone in the grey, these last 2 episodes have made it significantly harder to root for Alicent as opposed to Rhaenyra.

Rhaenyra isn't perfect, but she's been painted in a much better light than Alicent since the time jump. Had Rhaenyra actually had Laenor killed, then both her and Alicent would both be beyond redemption to most of the audience.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Rhaenyra isn't perfect, but she's been painted in a much better light than Alicent since the time jump.

How so? They are equally deplorable to me. Both live in a web of deceitful lies. Both prideful, vicious and concerned with appearances more than virtues. Both get taken advantage of by the men around them or dominate them. Neither is a very good mom from what we’ve been shown. 

I hope those two mother hens peck each other’s eyes out. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike
  • Like 1

• Acgott changed the title to House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16