House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16

Acgott

3 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

One thing they could have done better is illustrating the Strong family ties. They did a poor job of showing that the crippled guy and big badass were the sons of Lyonel. 

Also, is it just me or does Breakbones look older than Lyonel. Not sure how they managed to miscast that agewise so oddly. 

Agreed. Wasn't exactly super clear between episodes 3-5.

Also true. The actor playing the father is only 10 years older.

On 9/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, Fresh Prince said:

The older actresses were cast first and the younger ones second to mirror them. So I can only believe  the older lady’s kill it in their role.

but damn Dameon have a hot wife in Rhea all along. But she must’ve hated him from the beginning.

Based on the show demonstrating Daemon on more than one ocassion struggling to rise to the occassion, you've got to imagine that their wedding night did not go according to plan, and likely contributed to their spite at each other - he's publically playing it off as her being ugly, but she knows the truth of him.

On 9/19/2022 at 7:54 AM, JonStark said:

I think the fight happened because Criston was unraveling and being confronted (and basically threatened, as well as the princess) pushed him over the edge. You could see him grab his sword after the talking was over. Even though she shot him down, he clearly still loves Rhaenyra and some random guy blackmailing her probably didn't sit too well. 

It may come out that there was another thing that added to it but that was definitely the framework behind it.

I didn't view it as him being upset and loving Rhaenyra and defending her secret, but rather, he's upset and loses his cool because he's realized that not only does the Queen know, but now this knowledge is starting to spread amongst new arrivals - keeping that secret from spreading further resulted in face bashing. Criston clearly values his perceived honor highly - Kingsguard was a huge status boost for him, but he broke his vows to bed the princess. Getting married to her to 'restore' his honor, but when he got shot down he realized he's stuck in his situation. He confessed to the queen, and now that a new guy comes up and shares the same secret, he thinks it's just a matter of time and decides to try and restore some honor on his terms with his suicide (instead of the punishment for breaking his vows, it sounded awful and he wanted mercy from the Queen as well). I expect that with Queen Alicent coming out to stop him, he's going to become her ally against Rhaenyra.

Am I missing something redeeming about Alicent. In the "younger" years episodes she was pretty innoncent but not totally naive. She was used as a pawn but didn't really seem manipulated to where she didn't know what was actually happening. She just seemed pure evil in this episode. No nuance to her at all. Are we to assume in these intervening years she's been corrupted by impending power?

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

I already miss Milly Alcock

I do too. But I do think both the actresses did a really good job.

Also RIP Laena that was a badass way to end it

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Am I missing something redeeming about Alicent. In the "younger" years episodes she was pretty innoncent but not totally naive. She was used as a pawn but didn't really seem manipulated to where she didn't know what was actually happening. She just seemed pure evil in this episode. No nuance to her at all. Are we to assume in these intervening years she's been corrupted by impending power?

I think we are supposed to sympathize with her situation. She was forced into a loveless marriage simply for status and to churn out rugrats. She is used like a machine rather than a person, the "sex" scene we got when the King asked for her showed that. Now she has something she cares about, her sons, and she has been put in a situation where it seems like there are only three outcomes, her sons die, her childhood best friend dies, or there is all out war where more than likely they all die. 

However, her current characterization does not convey all that development. Whether its the way the adult version is written or that subconsciously we know as viewers we are watching a different human, I am not sure. 

• Like 1

Larys came off so cruel and plain sick when he recruited those prisoners to kill his brother and father

looks like we got our 1st character that everyone will hate(cole may also get that title too after this episode..dude is a prick)...another great episode.. the tension is building

Edited by August4th

On 9/19/2022 at 6:15 PM, Ray Reed said:

I always take to/root for non traditionally main characters in thrones because it’s one of the few shows that lets you feel like anyone can thrive and anyone can die.

My current rooting interest: the right hand man to the new hand of the king (Lyonel?) who grabbed Rhaenyra at the wedding during the commotion and is shown to be decked out as a knight in next week’s episode.

edit: Found it. Harwin Strong, eldest son of the new hand of the king. Wiki is telling me in the books he’s known as “Breakbones” Strong. LFG

Welp

• Like 4

Only gripe with this show is the fact that didn't really develop some of these main characters.... well, now main characters. Larys was just someone who showed up and now he's doing big things with only being in .5 episodes prior unless I missed something. 

Did I miss something?

Overall though, this show has been excellent and I'm very excited for the future especially after last night's episode

51 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Only gripe with this show is the fact that didn't really develop some of these main characters.... well, now main characters. Larys was just someone who showed up and now he's doing big things with only being in .5 episodes prior unless I missed something. 

Did I miss something?

Overall though, this show has been excellent and I'm very excited for the future especially after last night's episode

Curious to see him at the fringes maybe on a rewatch, it did seem like not as much build up.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Curious to see him at the fringes maybe on a rewatch, it did seem like not as much build up.

Yeah, maybe that's the case. He's a character that sticks out with his obvious "handicap" lol. Figured I would've seen him prior to last episode for a guy who looks like a major player. Maybe the lack of introduction then being shoved into the forefront means he won't be around that long. I honestly don't know so don't think I'm saying what will happen lol. I don't read books. Did enough of that in teh school

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah, maybe that's the case. He's a character that sticks out with his obvious "handicap" lol. Figured I would've seen him prior to last episode for a guy who looks like a major player. Maybe the lack of introduction then being shoved into the forefront means he won't be around that long. I honestly don't know so don't think I'm saying what will happen lol. I don't read books. Did enough of that in teh school

Looking it up and skipping through, yeah he was introduced during the hunt in ep3. Very nonchalantly meets Alicent, she offers a passing kindness.

Really makes any of these characters potentially important, because his brother was also there and neither seemed all that important at the time.

• Acgott changed the title to House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16