House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16

Acgott

28 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I liked seeing The Wall again, Starks, and other houses that we got introduced into w/ GoT. The fact we heard "winter is coming" and they talked about The Wall protecting from "death" again makes me think there's a slight chance we see white walkers. I'm not necessarily leaning that way just yet though.

The white walkers weren’t seen for thousands of years at the time of GOT which is a 100 years or so after this civil war.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

The white walkers weren’t seen for thousands of years at the time of GOT which is a 100 years or so after this civil war.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the timeline. Just hearing those words obviously lead naive me to the conclusion I did. Appreciate it

Eh, they could easily pull them back in as long as everyone who sees them ends up dead before they can spread the tale.  I don't think they should do it, but you could absolutely write around that.

3 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

It’s understandable why they toned down blood, and cheese from the boos. 

It's the motivation and plan behind it being changed that I don't like.  Let Daemon be Daemon.

6 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

It's the motivation and plan behind it being changed that I don't like.  Let Daemon be Daemon.

Daemon like his name sake will make deals. There's a reason we didn't see his response to what should happen if they didn't find aemond.

15 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Can you link me to a good summary of what transpired in the books? I don't want to ask you (or anyone) to type a summary lol.

I tried searching for one but a lot gave me potential future spoilers so I am halting my own research

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

30 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Can you link me to a good summary of what transpired in the books? I don't want to ask you (or anyone) to type a summary lol.

I tried searching for one but a lot gave me potential future spoilers so I am halting my own research

It’s tough to do a summery of what happens without spoiling anything. Only info I could provide is everything that happened with previous kings leading up to this point. 

54 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Now the bad and good thing about the book is that the book is written in that it is from various historical people's perspectives, so even what's in the book could not be the truth.  This gives them lots of leeway for the show to decide "this is how it really happened...", but it also creates things like what we got in the book was a lot better scripted than what was in the show.

I'll try a brief recount about this one particular incident

Spoiler

So if I recall correctly (it's been a while since I read Fire and Blood), Aemond wasn't even in Kings Landing when Blood and Cheese happen, one of Helena's kids were the target all along as Aegon always has the Kingsguard around.  They don't ask which one is the boy, they make her choose one to kill and then just do the opposite and tell the other one that "always remember, your mother wanted you dead".  She chooses the younger one to die because they won't understand, and they kill the older one.  I think Alicent may have even been there as well at the time, but i'm not sure about that.

I'm sure there are details that i've forgotten, but that's the gist of it, and I remember that part of the book being way more enthralling than what we got on screen.

Oh, and...

Spoiler

**** George RR Martin, that fat lazy bastard is never going to finish book 6, let alone book 7 or the remaining planned Dunk and Egg stories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Now the bad and good thing about the book is that the book is written in that it is from various historical people's perspectives, so even what's in the book could not be the truth.  This gives them lots of leeway for the show to decide "this is how it really happened...", but it also creates things like what we got in the book was a lot better scripted than what was in the show.

I'll try a brief recount about this one particular incident

Hide contents

So if I recall correctly (it's been a while since I read Fire and Blood), Aemond wasn't even in Kings Landing when Blood and Cheese happen, one of Helena's kids were the target all along as Aegon always has the Kingsguard around.  They don't ask which one is the boy, they make her choose one to kill and then just do the opposite and tell the other one that "always remember, your mother wanted you dead".  She chooses the younger one to die because they won't understand, and they kill the older one.  I think Alicent may have even been there as well at the time, but i'm not sure about that.

I'm sure there are details that i've forgotten, but that's the gist of it, and I remember that part of the book being way more enthralling than what we got on screen.

Oh, and...

Hide contents

**** George RR Martin, that fat lazy bastard is never going to finish book 6, let alone book 7 or the remaining planned Dunk and Egg stories.

I like the way you described it in the first spoiler quote!! I think that would've made for better TV but I guess they wanted to build up more tension w/ him having the knife to her throat and them contemplating w/ making one choice then walking back on it. That line is pretty awesome too!.... well, from a story telling standpoint. I'm not a psychopath lol.

I respect there's probably a lot more to it but seeing so many people say they liked the book's version of that scene way better than the show really had my curiosity going. 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

It’s tough to do a summery of what happens without spoiling anything. Only info I could provide is everything that happened with previous kings leading up to this point. 

Oh I was mainly just referring to that scene in general. I didn't need a huge backstory or much which is what I was getting from my searches as well as future actions that this scene caused. That is when I stopped searching. I just wanted to see how the book depicted that specific scene and why so many people said it was better than what the show did.

32 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Oh I was mainly just referring to that scene in general. I didn't need a huge backstory or much which is what I was getting from my searches as well as future actions that this scene caused. That is when I stopped searching. I just wanted to see how the book depicted that specific scene and why so many people said it was better than what the show did.

Spoiler

In the book they ask her to choose which child to kill, and after she chooses they kill the other child instead. Leaving the child alive to know that he was the one that was picked to be killed. I don’t remember much else from that scene.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 1:11 PM, THE DUKE said:

I did like the Cregan Stark intro

Possible spoilers from the book, so going to mask it. 

Spoiler

I was kind of surprised they introduced him. If I remember right, Cregan is basically a non factor until the hour of the wolf. I'm curious if they were just popping in for the nostalgia or if they are planning to deviate from the story 

Regarding Blood and Cheese, most of what everyone has posted is correct, but I'll add a couple details that were left out:

Spoiler

Aegon and Helaena have a 3rd child, Maelor. He's around 2 at the time of Blood and Cheese IIRC. They kidnap and tie up Alicent first, and wait for Helaena to bring the 3 children to her room. Once that happens, they put a knife to Helaena's throat and make her choose between Jaehaerys and Maelor to die. She picks Maelor because he's younger and doesn't understand, but they kill Jaehaerys anyways.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Possible spoilers from the book, so going to mask it. 

Reveal hidden contents

I was kind of surprised they introduced him. If I remember right, Cregan is basically a non factor until the hour of the wolf. I'm curious if they were just popping in for the nostalgia or if they are planning to deviate from the story 

Spoiler

Correct. He's not super involved after Jacaerys leaves Winterfell until late in the war. He sends men throughout to support, but doesn't fully march south until very late...too late to actually help Rhaenyra and Jacaerys, but honors his oath in the Hour of the Wolf to put Aegon the younger (son of Rhaenyra and Daemon) on the throne. 

I would bet they alter the story to keep the Starks more involved. They'll condense some of the northern lords down and keep Starks at least a little more involved.

Edited by seminoles1