What are you thinking about?

pwny

2 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

I feel like you just look at the country in the aggregate, and it makes sense why Ramsey has the following he does.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to finance. Thanks Nikola. But even I will stop to ask for a 2nd or 3rd opinion on things. Guys like Ramsey just think they are the smartest people in the room.

To be fair to him……he probably is in many cases.  The issue that I’ve come across is that there is no nuance.  He’s got his baby steps, and you HAVE to do it, and everyone is doing it.  Doesn’t matter if you have a crazy high 401k match from work, which is free money……use that to get out of debt.   Student loans under 5%?  Doesn’t matter, get them gone before you take the match.  No nuance on a state by state basis on state taxes, etc.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

To be fair to him……he probably is in many cases.  The issue that I’ve come across is that there is no nuance.  He’s got his baby steps, and you HAVE to do it, and everyone is doing it.  Doesn’t matter if you have a crazy high 401k match from work, which is free money……use that to get out of debt.   Student loans under 5%?  Doesn’t matter, get them gone before you take the match.  No nuance on a state by state basis on state taxes, etc.  

He's the other extreme of the debt situation I suppose.

Debt can absolutely destroy people/ruin families/etc, so I don't know that I blame him for being so anti-debt, but he could definitely tone down his extremes/be more understanding about certain situations.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I have a few other caveats of things, like:

1. He does a poor job of explaining what is a savings account and what type you should have/use. Is this a lockbox HYSA, money market, investment, etc?

2. How can someone today save up 50% on a down payment for a house when the average annual salary is ~$75K and average home is ~$420K? He hasn’t adjusted his stance and operates like it’s 1999.

3. In light of #2 above, when am I going to retire while saving up $200+K for a house (btw prices will only increase) and putting that on pause? (Hint: Never)

4. Why would I rush to pay off my 2.25% mortgage when inflation is ridiculous and my return on investment is over 10%? And don’t give me your “Over 10,000 people we have surveyed who are everyday millionaires…” spiel.

5. When do I get to live life and go on vacations and spend time with my family?

• Like 3

So I got a promotion at work...will be managing trips for the school district. Going to be getting an office and a nice little pay bump.

The nice thing is it'll still allow me to take the time to study and take the IT certifications I need to land a job in that field. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

All this financial stuff is depressing

Dont we have a thread for that

Probs.

I miss the days when we'd all get drunk and just post random memes and GIFs in here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Malfatron said:

All this financial stuff is depressing

Dont we have a thread for that

We used to until the speculating day traders took over and mocked those of us who advocate compound interest and utilizing an HSA as a secondary retirement vehicle. But now that I know it depresses people, I’m happy to burn this thread down too since I can’t have my old one back. It’s the mature thing to do.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2024 at 6:59 AM, MWil23 said:

We used to until the speculating day traders took over and mocked those of us who advocate compound interest and utilizing an HSA as a secondary retirement vehicle. But now that I know it depresses people, I’m happy to burn this thread down too since I can’t have my old one back. It’s the mature thing to do.

My best friend growing up got super lucky with a business of his, and can now afford to spend all day looking at his algorithms and day-trading.  None of us plebs really have that option.  

• Like 1

Just took my phone to a repair place to fix the shattered screen. Guy asked for my name, phone number, and then the phone password. I just looked at him for a beat and said " you don't need that". My wife says that was an extremely rude way to handle it, I say it was rude for them to ask. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, adamq said:

Just took my phone to a repair place to fix the shattered screen. Guy asked for my name, phone number, and then the phone password. I just looked at him for a beat and said " you don't need that". My wife says that was an extremely rude way to handle it, I say it was rude for them to ask. 

Would have done the same. x, y, no. No need to respect someone who is obviously trying to scam personal information from you. Honestly I wold have just left.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adamq said:

Having worked at a place in a busy mall for a bit, it’s funny how much the average person can get taken advantage of by workers like that.  I always wore my name tag around there and everyone left me alone.  

• Like 2

On 8/3/2024 at 2:36 PM, adamq said:

Explain to your wife that dude had really bad intentions and thought you were an idiot.