Nick-GB 2021 Packers Mock Offseason V1

Nick_gb

DISCLAIMER: All Contract Signings/Restructures/Extension savings were figured using OTC/PFF Top 150 Free Agents Sites and are not my own, so do not slander me for the numbers if you feel they are wrong, bring it up with those sites! Thanks!

Projected Salary Cap: $190 Million (This is a presumption of a few experts, thinking the NFL will borrow Cap space, over the next two years with the TV Deals set to run out) 
2021 Packers Cap Projections:  $212,059,574
 2021 Packers Cap Space: -$22,059,574

Restructures:

David Bakhtiari - creating $8.3 Million in Cap space
New Current Cap:  -$13.759

Aaron Rodgers - creating $14.516 Million in Cap Space - I know people are going to be upset that we wasted a FRP on a QB last year, just to extend Aaron Rodgers and keep him on this GB Roster for what is hopefully the remainder of his career. However, I'm pretty sure this move is going to happen and they're just waiting for the official numbers to come out in regards to the 2021 cap space. Aaron will want the Packers FO to back up their words from the pressers with some action. 
New Current Cap: +757k

Extension:

Davante Adams, creating $9.34 Million in Cap Space
Za'darius Smith, Creating $12.48 Million in Cap Space

New Current Cap Space: $22.577 Million

Cuts:

Christian Kirksey, creating $5.6 Million in Cap Space
Dean Lowry, creating $3.3 Million in Cap Space
New Current Cap Space: $31.477 Million

Tender: 

Robert Tonyan, TE- 2nd Round Tender, $3.422 Million

New Current Cap Space: $28.055 Million

Resign: (Using PFF top 150 Free Agents Projections)

Corey Linsley - 3 years @ $33 million - (9/11/13 Cap hits)
Mercedes Lewis - 1 Year @ $1.5 Million (1.5 Cap hit)
Kevin King, CB - 1 Year @ $3.5 Million (3.5 cap hit)

New Current Cap Space: $14.055 Million

Free Agent Signings:

JJ Watt, DL - 3 Years, $20 Million  (4/7/9) cap hits (This is the only cap figure I came up with, because I'm not willing to pay him what PFF had and hoping a hometown discount will be in play here with a chance at a ring)

Mike Hilton, CB - 3 Years, $12 million (2/4/6 cap hits) 

New Current Cap Space: $8.055 Million

Other potential move/s:

Preston Smith - Cut / Trade / Pay-cut, I decided to leave this one here as my preference is to keep him on a pay cut, but I wanted to show that there were other ways to create cap space for the Draft / Roll-over if the team felt it was necessary to do so. I'm trying to keep as much as the 2020 team intact as possible while keeping the depth in place.

Packers Potential Cap space heading into draft: $8.055 - $16.055 Million

2021-NFL-Draft-no-location.png

2021 NFL Draft - Green Bay Packers

Round 1: Jalen Mayfield, OT, Michigan

Explanation: With David Bakhtiari out of the fold possibly (most likely) to start the season, it becomes imperative to protect the face of the franchise. Mayfield offers you the ability to play him either at OG/RT allowing for ample flexibility along the OL between Turner / Mayfield / Jenkins.

Scouting Report:

Michigan versus Penn State 2019 - Tape

Round 2: Javonte Williams, RB 

Explanation: The Packers just let Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones walk in free agency this year. Typically, I wouldn't take another RB with a Day 2 pick after you just took one last year and have even said I felt it was wasted resources. However, Dillion got injured in a year he was barely used and took awhile to get over his covid-19 case and Williams is just a downright stud, having him and Dillion in the fold provides you the depth to keep running your scheme despite injuries and in a year where it's Super Bowl or bust, I think you protect that scheme that has got you to the NFC Championship two years in a row and you stack that room up with talent.

Scouting Report:

Javonte Williams Highlights

Round 3: Alim Mcneill, DL 

Explanation: We just signed JJ Watt on the DL, but we need to continue to bolster this line up, ideally you're not looking to play him 90% of the snaps, we want to keep the man healthy throughout the season and a good rotation of lineman is a great way to ensure we can do that. Personally, Lowry / Lancaster etc was not the answer and so we're looking to revamp that entirely here in this draft.

Scouting Report

Alim McNeill Highlights

Round 4:  Kelvin Joseph, CB

Explanation: I know people will be upset that I waited until the 4th round to address this position, but this kid has the capabilities to be a starter in this secondary. We also resigned Kevin King and added Mike Hilton in Free Agency at this position which allowed us to address this later in the draft. 

Scouting Report

Kelvin Joseph Highlights

Round 4: Greg Newsome II, CB

Explanation: Despite resigning King and signing a CB in Free Agency, I'm going to double dip at the position here. I think it's necessary

Scouting Report

Greg Newsome II Highlights

Round 4: Kenneth Gainwell, RB

Explanation: Yes, I'm aware that we took Williams in the 2nd after taking Dillion in the 2nd round last year. However, adding Gainwell to the RB room give us a trio of RB's of Dillion / Williams / Gainwell and that has the potential to be more dominant than Jones / Williams / Ervin.

Scouting Report

Kenneth Gainwell Highlights

Round 5: Shaun Wade, LB/S Hybrid

Explanation: I think Wade provides nice value right about here, I provided his 2019 highlights for a reason as his 2020 season was one to forget. However, he's worth the pick here if you believe you can get him back to the 2019 version we saw on the field.

Scouting Report

2019 Shaun Wade Highlights

Round 6: Jonathan Adams Jr, WR

Explanation: Gives the Packers a developmental option this year, with a big year of potential departures in Free Agency from some of our current depth next off-season.

Scouting Report

Jonathan Adams Jr Highlights

Round 7: Max Duffy, P

Explanation: Do I really need to explain this?

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 4

Really like your off-season.  Loved getting Lindsley back.

We are going to have the biggest set of quads in the NFL in our backfield.  I don't think RB in round two is a good place to do it, but I'm not going to fault the player at all.

Wished we took a WR earlier.

But overall, I liked the mock.

• Like 1

I like the direction you went with this mock as well, but I question whether or not a few of these guys will be available where you select them. I like the idea of moving Shaun Wade to Safety and having him play that hybrid LB role. Huge fan of Adams in the 6th and I've got him as a top-150 player on my board.....at 150 exactly lol. Not so sure on the Punter TBH; I think Scott has struggled due to his environment. As a die-hard 'Bama fan, I've seen him go through slumps before, but he's always come back. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Really like your off-season.  Loved getting Lindsley back.

We are going to have the biggest set of quads in the NFL in our backfield.  I don't think RB in round two is a good place to do it, but I'm not going to fault the player at all.

Wished we took a WR earlier.

But overall, I liked the mock.

My thought on the early RB is that after losing Williams / Jones in free agency we’re an AJ Dillion injury away from not being able to stay true to our offensive game plan. Getting Williams ensures that we have quality depth at the position. 

Think of it like the Bucs getting Fournette despite having a Ronald Jones. Williams in the 2nd was a move made for late December / January football. 

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

I like the direction you went with this mock as well, but I question whether or not a few of these guys will be available where you select them. I like the idea of moving Shaun Wade to Safety and having him play that hybrid LB role. Huge fan of Adams in the 6th and I've got him as a top-150 player on my board.....at 150 exactly lol. Not so sure on the Punter TBH; I think Scott has struggled due to his environment. As a die-hard 'Bama fan, I've seen him go through slumps before, but he's always come back. 

Very big possibility - Its hard this year to predict where players will or won’t be available. It’s all over the place currently. 

I like how you squeezed Tommy Togiai in there!

I'm all for double dipping CB( and even D-Line )but RB?  Not so sure we don't draft a WR sooner but works for me.

Wade has fallen in our hearts no doubt, would be good value here.  Not sure Duffy is draft worthy, thought only the Ohio St dude was.  Probably neither.

Overall, this was a lot of good work.  Congrats on a job well done, and this draft works super good for me.

1 minute ago, 15412 said:

I like how you squeezed Tommy Togiai in there!

I'm all for double dipping CB( and even D-Line )but RB?  Not so sure we don't draft a WR sooner but works for me.

Wade has fallen in our hearts no doubt, would be good value here.  Not sure Duffy is draft worthy, thought only the Ohio St dude was.  Probably neither.

Overall, this was a lot of good work.  Congrats on a job well done, and this draft works super good for me.

lmfao I had him in and took him out to double dip at CB - That's on me. Love the player and really wanted him in there - but I felt after taking JJ Watt in Free Agency and getting McNeill in the 3rd it probably wasn't the right call for our scheme currently. lol. I think a lot of teams could do a lot worse than Clark / Watt / McNeill and Keke - but having Alexander / King / Newsome / Joseph is pretty darn solid! 

With the extra cap you have left I'd rather sign White or any FA back for cheap and use that premium 2nd elsewhere. That or hang onto Lowry and use the 3rd elsewhere. No reason to cut the guy if we're going to have that much money left. Might as well hang onto him and use him in rotation. He's fine there

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

With the extra cap you have left I'd rather sign White or any FA back for cheap and use that premium 2nd elsewhere. That or hang onto Lowry and use the 3rd elsewhere. No reason to cut the guy if we're going to have that much money left. Might as well hang onto him and use him in rotation. He's fine there

Left-over money was to allow flexibility in case the cap #'s did not come in at $190 million, we couldn't get JJ Watt on a 3/21 deal, to sign the draft picks and to allow roll-over into 2022. It's essentially there in case things don't play out the way that I have laid out and to negate any "That player isn't signing for that price" chatter or "The cap figures aren't coming in that high" chatter and still allow the mock to be done. 

I really like your offseason/FA. Gives us a nice piece. I also think a nice stable corner would be huge.

Personally not super high on the draft. With Wagner on the team, I don't think a OT is necessary (especially a guy we are grooming). I also don't see us using 2 top 4 round picks on RBs (maybe a 3/5)

2 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I really like your offseason/FA. Gives us a nice piece. I also think a nice stable corner would be huge.

Personally not super high on the draft. With Wagner on the team, I don't think a OT is necessary (especially a guy we are grooming). I also don't see us using 2 top 4 round picks on RBs (maybe a 3/5)

I think OL depth is ALWAYS necessary and will ALWAYS be worthy of a premium pick. Wagner wont change my mind on that. It's not a sexy pick by any means but it's a necessary one.

I give this mock an A for content and an A for formatting. I love it when people actually work to make a mock easy to read and follow.

My one critique. For the price we are paying to keep Linsley, could we instead keep Wagner and Jamal Williams? I think that gives you a little bit of flexibility when drafting an RB in the 2nd. Then again, how many OTs do you need if you are already targeting Mayfield in the 1st.

Great job

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

My thought on the early RB is that after losing Williams / Jones in free agency we’re an AJ Dillion injury away from not being able to stay true to our offensive game plan. Getting Williams ensures that we have quality depth at the position. 

Think of it like the Bucs getting Fournette despite having a Ronald Jones. Williams in the 2nd was a move made for late December / January football. 

If Williams is the pick in round two.....we would have 2 first string running backs.  I'm not sure that Williams isn't better than Dillon.  Williams appears to catch the ball well.  Write up says he can block.  I don't fault the player at all, just wondering if it wouldn't be best to pick up an NFL running back like Breida or Coleman instead.  And I did like the second RB you picked up, he plays a different role than a true featured back.  

Back to Williams....if we do want to run early and run often while utilizing that short, quick passing attack, that is the way to get it done.  Draft investment be damned.

Williams looks exactly like a back who would excel in our scheme.