What rating would you give Brady out of 99 for this past season?

mdonnelly21

54 Total TDs, took a 7-9 team with a losing culture to a Super Bowl championship in Year 1.

His only real struggles at any point came via natural bedding-in and adaptation problems due to everything new and covid, in the first half of the year. Out of the Bye, through to the end of the Super Bowl, he was the best QB in the league and typical Brady. Never looked like throwing a pick outside of that second half NFCC flurry, which even then, if you really analyse a couple of the picks, were the result of a tipped catch and then a blown protection/3rd down anyway that were self-preservation decisions and effectively 'chuck it up towards Mike or it's an arm punt anyway' deals.

It's an extremely high grade to me once context is applied. Sure, his first half of the season was more in the late 80's range let's say, but when it mattered most, he completed the season holding aloft the Lombardi, just having beaten three Super Bowl MVPs in the Playoffs and was performing as the best QB in the league in doing so.

It was a truly exceptional NFL season for any QB, never mind a 43-year-old.

Edited by Aztec Hammer
  • Like 5

High 90s reserved for QBs like Rogers and Mahomes who are top two in MVP talk, are as athletic as they are smart, rocket arms but also good touch etc. Almost perfect.

Brady was elite (hence 90s), but some of the deep ball picks, a few mistakes, defense winning a few games and just not being those two above (which isn't a criticism at all).

Would put him 3rd or 4th on the year. Rodgers, Mahomes, Watson, Brady - probably 

• Like 2

Like a 94 just for the Regular Season. Really under-appreciated season. 97 for the Regular Season and Playoffs combined. Defense was the main reason for the Super Bowl, but he still played incredibly well in the Super Bowl and was pretty good overall outside that horrendous Packer Second Half. 

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

High 90s reserved for QBs like Rogers and Mahomes who are top two in MVP talk, are as athletic as they are smart, rocket arms but also good touch etc. Almost perfect.

Brady was elite (hence 90s), but some of the deep ball picks, a few mistakes, defense winning a few games and just not being those two above (which isn't a criticism at all).

Would put him 3rd or 4th on the year. Rodgers, Mahomes, Watson, Brady - probably 

I guess I’m a little more generous. I’d give Mahomes a 98 and Rodgers a 99.5 for their 2020 seasons. 

Winning a Super Bowl at 43 is eventually going to stand out as so ridiculous that it's difficult to assign anything other than the highest number or greatest superlative. It only gets normalized somewhat now since we've seen Brady's level remain mostly stable into his 40s. Once we're removed from Brady's career and nobody else is stretching that caliber into those ages the upward adjustments will follow. 

Regular season is splendid trivia

If a 99 is an all-time elite season, I'll take that as the 90s being a generally elite season, so I'd give him somewhere in the mid-80s. 84 - 86. I get that the Bucs won the superbowl, but he wasn't a top 5 QB in the regular season, and he didn't do anything particularly great in the postseason either. Was super efficient in the superbowl, but that was never really a game. Was at 55% completion the 3 games prior, and honestly did enough to blow it against Green Bay. But if you give him like a 93 or 94 like many are saying, then you have to, IMO, give Deshaun Watson, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and Aaron Rodgers all higher grades than that for sure. Probably Russell Wilson as well. The stats would even argue a guy like Tannehill, too. And I don't think, if we're grading on an all-time scale, you could argue that there were 5-7 performances this season that rank that high all-time.

52 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

If a 99 is an all-time elite season, I'll take that as the 90s being a generally elite season, so I'd give him somewhere in the mid-80s. 84 - 86. I get that the Bucs won the superbowl, but he wasn't a top 5 QB in the regular season, and he didn't do anything particularly great in the postseason either. Was super efficient in the superbowl, but that was never really a game. Was at 55% completion the 3 games prior, and honestly did enough to blow it against Green Bay. But if you give him like a 93 or 94 like many are saying, then you have to, IMO, give Deshaun Watson, Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes, and Aaron Rodgers all higher grades than that for sure. Probably Russell Wilson as well. The stats would even argue a guy like Tannehill, too. And I don't think, if we're grading on an all-time scale, you could argue that there were 5-7 performances this season that rank that high all-time.

Completely disagree. I think he had the 5th best QB season behind Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, and Watson. And overall probably his 7th or 8th best season out of 20 seasons. Before we go in circles, can you name 6-7 QB's you think had better regular seasons than Brady in 2020?

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Completely disagree. I think he had the 5th best QB season behind Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, and Watson. And overall probably his 7th or 8th best season out of 20 seasons. Before we go in circles, can you name 6-7 QB's you think had better regular seasons than Brady in 2020?

I literally already listed, in that post, the 5 QBs that had better seasons than him, and a 6th that did statistically, at least.

Mid 80s, maybe bonus points for doing it while being so old.   Did enough to beat the hapless Saints and Packers, sat back and watched his defense demolish the best QB in the league in the Super Bowl.  Proved he had enough left in the tank to exploit a stacked offense.  Impressive leadership.