Dragon Age: The Veilguard (Bioware, Fall 2024)

Kiltman

On 2/25/2021 at 1:11 PM, MKnight82 said:

Idk about this franchise.  I absolutely loved Origins.  At the time, I didn't like DA2 when it came out, mostly because it was so extremely different than Origins.  I replayed it a few years ago and as a stand alone game I think its actually a pretty solid game.  I could never make it through Inquisition, too many boring fetch quests and other tedious crap.  Inquisition to me is the definition of the "open world" game that is large in scale and low on enjoyable content.  I never went back and replayed it.  Maybe I should give it another chance.

My biggest issue with the Dragon Age franchise is that every game is so different from the previous one that there's no continuity or familiarity to it.  I don't want that in a franchise.  

It's absolutely hilarious how much in line your experience was with mine to this franchise. DAO is one of my top gaming experiences ever; DA2 I got for the console and disliked the controls but more importantly, hated the 'cheap' approach with the reused dungeon templates - so many dungeons were mirror images, just had different doorways opened and closed, but it felt like a very short-cut approach and didn't make each location feel unique like DAO did. I did manage to beat it once, and while some of the gameplay and characters redeemed it somewhat, it just left a sour taste in my mouth.

Inquisition... I was disappointed with DA2, so I waited on Inquisition, and when I finally got into it... I found myself not caring about the characters and you describe it perfectly, large open world but low enjoyability. I'm not even sure I got around to recruiting all companions before I just stopped playing.

And I agree with your final point as well - while the 'setting' was in the same world, it just didn't feel like a continuation. DA2 felt like it borrowed some elements to call itself DA, but by and large could have been a completely different story. Mass Effect did a phenomenal job of feeling like your Shepard played a role, DA failed to capture that same element.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, 43M said:

I dont necessarily disagree, but Sony quickly bounced back from their "rough" spot back then.   Most of that stemmed from the disastrous PS3 launch, but they recovered nicely.

Anyway, you are right that, at the time, Microsoft made more sense, but I was thinking big picture.    I feel like Microsoft would have sidelined those franchises over the last several years like EA kinda has.   I feel like, under Sony the last 7 to 10 years, Mass Effect and Dragon Age would have gotten more love, because Sony never really lost sight of the single player experience the way both EA and Microsoft did.

Xbox would’ve 100% pushed them to do that 4v1 game that went nowhere too.

Would’ve been a trade off, Xbox clung onto their teams in that middle period and throws more money at stuff marketing/the games. So the scope would’ve stayed the same at the least. BioWare would’ve been the jewel of XGS until Phil started buying teams. They probably would’ve kept more of the BioWare locations and staff going comparatively. Some of them had left EA to go work at Microsoft.

Sony I think would’ve definitely helped push the story beats further for post trilogy BioWare. Like Andromeda could’ve been saved maybe. Anthem wouldn’t have happened so we’d have a whole other game, perhaps even a 3rd IP. But I’d be a little worried it’d be a shorter experience for like Mass Effect 3, maybe that fear is unfounded though. We might’ve had one BioWare team that’s consolidated doing a great 50-60 hour single player RPG every 4 years, and that’d be just fine.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 8:32 PM, Kiltman said:

Anthem wouldn’t have happened

God what Anthem could have been...... That game was fun till you realized how shallow it actually was.. Why studios continue to make the same mistake with looters and lack of end game content is sad..... 

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

God what Anthem could have been...... That game was fun till you realized how shallow it actually was.. Why studios continue to make the same mistake with looters and lack of end game content is sad..... 

it’s always sad when the industry learns the wrong lessons from a popular game and then makes worse versions of it. The co-op looter run was rough post Destiny year 2.

• 1 year later...

😄

I dont know whether to laugh or cry.    This looks like hot trash.   Just the trailer reminds me of the terrible Suicide Squad game.    Doesn't bode well for Mass Effect 4.

Guess thats what happens when you force out all the people who made BioWare great and replace them with people that have little experience and even less talent.   Same reason why I have low expectations for the Witcher series going forward...CDPR did the same thing.

3 hours ago, 43M said:

😄

I dont know whether to laugh or cry.    This looks like hot trash.   Just the trailer reminds me of the terrible Suicide Squad game.    Doesn't bode well for Mass Effect 4.

Guess thats what happens when you force out all the people who made BioWare great and replace them with people that have little experience and even less talent.   Same reason why I have low expectations for the Witcher series going forward...CDPR did the same thing.

Wonder if it's going to end up a Live Service game? 

39 minutes ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

sub header on their site is

"Recruit distinct companions and defy the gods in an immersive single-player RPG."

Think it'll be like Inquisition, ie a mix of 1 and 2

Marketing trailer aside the focus is in the correct place, i.E companions and story which Bioware always seems to nail when not outsourcing or rushing games.

7 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Character models look horrid and tone is way off for Dragon Age.    Gameplay may end up being decent, I suppose, but everything about this trailer just hits me the wrong way.   I got the same vibes from games like Saints Row (the reboot), Forespoken and Suicide Squad.

Could be wrong....but I have a feeling what kind of game we are getting, and its absolutely infuriating.

I didn't even know this was a thing. I'm very curious about the game play trailer that is coming today. That'll matter a lot to me. I love Dragon Age Origins. I really enjoy Dragon Age 2. Inquisition, something about it was too open world and the camera was making me slightly motion sick which is really rare when I'm playing a game. So I'm hoping that this one is better. The "game play" type footage I thought looked good, the introduction to the characters aesthetically was a bit rough.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

- Game Play

Still a hard pass for me, sadly.

The gameplay doesn't look that bad, necessarily (even though its miles away from what made DA popular to begin with), but nothing about it looks or feels like Dragon Age.   The character models are embarrassingly ugly.   The writing, based on the taste we have gotten, is laughable.   The tone is nothing close to Dragon Age.  Feels like a game made by Pixar.

Again, just reminds me of the Saints Row reboot....for many reasons.

On 6/10/2024 at 5:48 AM, 43M said:

Character models look horrid and tone is way off for Dragon Age.

I only played a little bit of Origins and Inquisition(I really need to revisit the series) but this is my thought as well. Nothing about the trailer looks bad to me but it's so tonally different than the previous games. The music is especially awful. If they had released this trailer launching a new IP, I think we'd be seeing a much more positive reception.

Combined with the fact that Larian and BG3 completely raised the bar for a game like this last year, this just looks destined to fail. 

• Like 2