Read this IF you got time...the DaWg_L.b. Offseason.....

DaWg_LB.

Hotep Good Brothers….

I hope, trust and pray that everyone is doing good. On to my offseason and thoughts on the matter. This was inspired by @Mind Character, @Horseunit and my two guys @LETSGOBROWNIES and @NudeTayne…….dang yall, while I’m writing this, I have a very cute neighbor…and very thing walls…..I think she’s over there “Double Clicking her Mouse Button” in an urban dictionary sort of fashion…..Interesting……I digress.

Now my thoughts abound like so….we have a team, that made the divisional round of the playoffs and took the defending world champions and eventual Superbowl runners up, down to the WIRE……in THEIR own House….and this is with missing our superstar RB for 4 games, 3 of our All Pro O-lineman for 7 games combined….our DPOY candidate for 2 games and Covid affected the rest of the year…and at LEAST half our Starting 2nDary for the ENTIRE season. Now I don’t know about you…but I do NOT want to go and start MONKEYING around with that sort of formula, especially after living through back to back years of 1-15 and 0-16.  Here is what I would to attempt to  mitigate the losses…and maximize our strengths…as well as getting some talent in the funnel for decisions that will have to be made 2 years from now to keep our CORE together. 

The Offense….There is not much that needs to be added here IMO, we should be focusing on keeping this band together…we know that it carried us to the AFC divisional round. We HAVE our Franchise QB, and his backups is a highly respected and functional Vet, that had is best year as a starter in the NFL when our Now NFL Coach of the year and play caller was his OC in Minny…were set..I’d like to see a developmental guy in one of the protected Practice Squad spots all season….we should NEVER not be developing and NFL starting QB on our team IMO. We may have the best Oline situation in the NFL, the coach…the staring 5 which includes the NFLPA player President, a top 10 LT going into year 2 after an impressive rookie season and the other 3 are either 1rst or 2nd team All Pro (Resign Teller to a 3 year good money, not GREAT money…extension NOW)….not to mention, I am thinking about our backups….Nick Harris looked like the future at Center when he had to fill in at RG IMO, his technique, Intelligence, quickness and use of leverage is evident to make up for his 6’1 height, short arms and sub 300lb girth….also do we attempt to stash Alex Taylor on the PS for a 2nd year? I wouldn’t. And we have 3 OG’s that I would like to see….one may be able to be traded or stashed on a Protected PS. Spot, Michael Dunn, Blake Hance and Project X of 2 seasons ago Drew Forbes…..Nuff Said. At WR, our 2 starters have combined, a former NFL receptions leader, a former OROY, with 2 All Pro teams, and 8 pro bowls, one of the top #3 WR in Rashard Higgins (who should be resigned to a 3 year deal), and a great developmental prospect in the “Peoples WR” Donvovan Peoples-Jones, and our # 5 is a 6’2 205lb WR who is a best on special teams and runs a 4.3….we should be looking to churn ONLY the #5 WR position, and that could come as a late round pick, UDFA, a low risk-high reward FA (John Ross?) or some of the guys on the P.S. (Derrick Willies). RB, best combo in the league….we should look at give Stump Mitchell a good lump of clay to work with and be ready to step in, in a year or two. TE…might be the deepest in the league…I would KEEP Njoku and make him the #2 this year., and 1rst to step in, in the slot if there are injuries at WR, his improved hands and impressive blocking is too much to let go, I think he recognizes he will be paid decently, and could be making a S.B. run next year, along with his increased playing time, I think you can sell that for one more year (turning 26 coming off a productive season with a ring?)….H.B,K. (Kid Harrison Bryant) had a VERY solid Rookie year, were good…and stash Steven Carlson on one of the Vet Practice squad spots. Offensive assessment Complete.

Now on Defense is where we get into needing major improvements. Joe Woods, I am enthralled with…by specifics he runs a Base Big Nickle…and before the season started, he lost HALF his starting secondary for the SEASON…..WOW, let that sink in for a minute LOL. I saw him haver our team leading the NFL in Forced Turnovers through like week 8 (fact check this)?  And he began to do almost what the Patriots were doing in their heyday, he was taking literally who we had available THAT week (we had a lot of injuries/Covid on D), and crafted our BEST possibility to win against THAT opponent THAT week, the D in Tenn was nothing short of mind blowing, and he had the D motivated to come up BIG in certain crucial spots….lack of talent availability is what cost us any consistency, IMO. So needing new DT’s, LB’s, CB’s and safeties (We have 2 good ones….with Injury concerns and Joe likes to run 3)…so onto the Draft…..This ones for YOU Joe Woods…(Free Agency choices can be seen in the final projected roster)

NFL Draft

1rst Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, OLB/S, Notre Dame
Height: 6-1. Weight: 215

2ndJevon Holland*, S, Oregon
Height: 6-1. Weight: 200

3rd Elijah Molden, CB, Washington
Height: 5-10. Weight: 190

3rd Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 319

4th Jordan Smith, DE/OLB/Edge, UAB
Height: 6-7. Weight: 255

4th Ar'Darius Washington, S, TCU
Height: 5-8. Weight: 181

5th Elerson Smith, DE, Northern Iowa
Height: 6-7. Weight: 245

6th Chase Lucas, CB, Arizona State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 175.

7th Ja-Maine Martin, RB, North Carolina A&T
Height: 5-10. Weight: 214
(reminds me of Kareem Hunt) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFOoiVOyTyM

Roster 2021 first 52 (I left a spot open, Maybe sign FA John Ross??):

QB: Mayfield/Kennum

RB: Chubb/Hunt/*Martin

FB: Jankovich

TE: Hooper/Njoku/Bryant

WR: OBJ/DPJ/Hodge

WR: Landry/Hollywood/Hodge

LT: Wills/Taylor

LG: Bintonio/Dunn

😄 Tretter/Harris

RG: Teller/Forbes

RT: Conklin/Hubbard

DE: Garrett/Weaver/(DPR)*El.Smith

DT:  Billings/*Wilson

DT: Richardson/Elliot

DE: Clayborn/*Jo.Smith/(DPR)*El.Smith

ILB: Phillips/B.J. Goodson

OLB: *Koramoah/Taki-Taki/Wilson

CB: Ward/T.Mitch/*Lucas

CB: Williams/*Molden/A.J. Green

Big Nickle: *Holland/*Washington/*Koramoah/Redwine

FS: Delpit/*Washington

SS: Harrison/Redwine

K: Parkey OR Cole Tracy (Bring this Kid in for a try out PLEASE!!!)

P: Gilliam

LS: Hughlett

All comments and Critiques are Welcome and encouraged.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

1rst Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, OLB/S, Notre Dame
Height: 6-1. Weight: 215

Like the player a lot. I just don't like the idea of taking a LB so high--especially an OLB. Koramoah would be a welcomed addition to our team, but I doubt our FO does it. I'd take JOK over Collins all day because JOK is a legitimate coverage pieces that can play Man/Zone. I'd like the pick, but we'll see if we go NEED over POSITIONAL VALUE.

2ndJevon Holland*, S, Oregon
Height: 6-1. Weight: 200 

Great athlete that covers at a high level. I'd be all for bringing in another S in round 2. I like Paris Ford a little more, but it's splitting hairs. Holland's a more talented cover player.

3rd Elijah Molden, CB, Washington
Height: 5-10. Weight: 190 

Might be my favorite slot CB candidate outside of Asante Samuel Jr. Molden is just all-around solid. Master of nothing, but can do anything you ask him to do pretty darn well. Good tackler that could even play some S in a pinch.

3rd Marvin Wilson, DT, Florida State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 319

Like the value. He was so dominant before this year. No idea why he's slipped so much recently. Still, he's a good gamble in the 3rd. I'm sour on him because I watched so many teams just gash FSU right up the gut with zero resistance. I haven't watched him formally from 2020, but I saw FSU play multiple times and Wilson was a ghost.

4th Jordan Smith, DE/OLB/Edge, UAB
Height: 6-7. Weight: 255

Jordan Smith is the kind of great upside edge-bender that you bet on. I still think we need a base LDE to stop the run, but Jordan Smith is a great fit for sub package pass rushing.

4th Ar'Darius Washington, S, TCU
Height: 5-8. Weight: 181 

Super steal! Washington is right up there with the top safeties in this class, IMO. He could also play some CB. He, Holland, and Molden are all versatile enough to play C/CB interchangeably. That's a great thing to have.

5th Elerson Smith, DE, Northern Iowa
Height: 6-7. Weight: 245

Was very unimpressed from Smith's tape. He just seemed to be very meh. Invisible against the run and was really only a speed rusher. I also question how much speed he really does have. I guess he did well at the Senior Bowl, which I didn't keep up on. Maybe he's improved, but I didn't like his 2019 tape.

6th Chase Lucas, CB, Arizona State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 175.

Didn't he go back to ASU? I thought he did. Anyways, he's got some legit skills. I don't think he's a great athlete and he's undersized (weight), but the dude is pesky in both man and zone. I like all three of the Arizona State upperclass DB's. I think they all went back except for Aashari Crosswell though. 
https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/ASU-football-Chase-Lucas-return-Sun-Devils-2021-defense-Jack-Jones-Evan-Fields-Chris-Hawkins--158443834/

7th Ja-Maine Martin, RB, North Carolina A&T
Height: 5-10. Weight: 214
(reminds me of Kareem Hunt) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFOoiVOyTyM

Love Martin. Hunt is a great comparison too, by the way. He's powerful, but has burst and pass catching skills. NFL body with the necessary athleticism to be an every-down back. He's not Najee Harris, but if you like Najee, you'll probably really like Martin too. He can do everything.

I'd be happy with this draft. Our coverage ability would be fantastic, but I still think we need to add a DT/DE then via free agency. I can't imagine us wanting to start the year with Clayborn as our starting LDE.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I have a very cute neighbor…and very thing walls…..I think she’s over there “Double Clicking her Mouse Button”

girth

tenor.gif?itemid=5187329&f=1&nofb=1

ENGLISH!!!

What is this dawgofLB's guy even talking about!?

Edited by NudeTayne
other than donvovan

8 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Getting through 

Some sports writers are saying we can get in the teens with 2 seconds

What chance do you think that is true?

I think it'd take a whole lot more than simply two 2nd round picks to get a pick in the teens. Are you saying that we could get a pick in the teens and keep our pick #26?

Beside Marvin Wilson, the person I would be most excited about out of this draft would be Ellerson Smith. I'm a big fan of his upside/potential (He has a bit of Jason Taylor to his game)

Also, don't you think if we do select a back, wouldn't it be one with a different style? IIRC, the Vikings having Latavius Murray and drafted a guy Mattison who was like 5'11 220, maybe we can get bruiser back to switch things up, perhaps a guy like Rhamondre Stevenson.

1 hour ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

I'd take JOK over Collins all day because JOK is a legitimate coverage pieces that can play Man/Zone

Its crazy how people assume JOK is better in coverage, but the numbers suggest Collins is actually better than JOK (93.7 to 82.3)

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Its crazy how people assume JOK is better in coverage, but the numbers suggest Collins is actually better than JOK (93.7 to 82.3)

Collins doesn't have to cover TE's and slot WR's in man coverage. He's a zone dropper that does effectively SCF drop. But he'd get absolutely abused in man-man coverage. Zaven Collins is responsible for covering backs out of the backfield and dropping to the numbers in cover 2/3 looks. He doesn't draw nearly the difficult assignments that JOK does. The chances of JOK staying with Kelce or guys like that are significantly better than the chance Zaven can. JOK is a legitimate coverage chess piece. Zaven is not. While Zaven isn't going to be bad in coverage, I don't think he'll draw any man-man responsibilities in the NFL outside of zone drops.

Zaven Collins is really polished in his pass drops and has good eyes for finding the "settling" in-breaking WR's and TE's. But for me, that should be an expectation in the NFL, not something that makes you valuable. If I'm drafting a linebacker in the 1st round, they have to either be elite in terms of their diagnosing inside the box or have the traits to cover the league's best TE's.

3 minutes ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

If I'm drafting a linebacker in the 1st round, they have to either be elite in terms of their diagnosing inside the box or have the traits to cover the league's best TE's.

But technically he is elite in covering and blitzing/pass rushing? you mean to tell me he wouldn't be dynamic in how our defense is set up? 

in the 4-2-5, you have no idea what he would do? and he would be really good doing it whether it is blitzing or in coverage. Plus we have Ronnie Harrison to do what JOK would be doing, they are essentially the same player, except Harrison can play more on the back end. What would JOK's value be on 1st and 2nd down?, because the way you all describe JOK, he is essentially a specialty player, YOU DONT DRAFT SPECIALTY PLAYERS at #26. Sorry for the rant 

• Like 1