WFT, Alex Smith parting ways

ARTMONK HOF

15 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

My Guess is he'll go to Jacksonville with his college coach Urban Myer and play mentor to Trevor Lawerance maybe even start the beginning of the year depending on where TLaw is after shoulder operation 

Probably about as good a guess as any. I was thinking potentially to Chicago with Matt Nagy — might be his only shot to actually compete for a starting position. 

The only folks who are going to take him, in my view, are people who have already worked with him. Who know the extent of his character and locker room presence, and who can rely on him to come in immediately familiar with their concepts and terminology. Which leaves a pretty thin list of options. He and Nagy were effusive in the praise for one another after they parted ways in leaving KC, and I could easily see Nagy being talked into giving his good buddy one more chance to make a run at a starting gig. 

Who knows what Chicago is going to do at QB, but if Nagy and Pace are feeling mega-heat to win this year, I could see them wanting to throw a guy into the mix who knows Nagy’s stuff inside and out, and who happens to have won 80 of his last 117 starts. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I saw something on twitter today that we were trying to acquire Mariota but the talks broke off. I’m assuming the Raiders wasn’t too much and the escalators in his contract aren’t helping matters. 

Also the fact that he sucks.

• Like 2

Sad but necessary I guess. I really think Alex should retire now, but maybe he won’t. Maybe someone will sign him to be their back up.

Here’s to the future. I sure hope we find a QB that can win us some games consistently in the way Alex did in his 16 starts as our QB.

I’d love for it to be Heinicke, I’m very interested to see if he can be that dude. I’m not totally bought in that he is after just 6 quarters of good/great QB play, but no fanbase deserves it more than Washington’s to find a franchise QB.