Thoughts and Observations: Ravens

WindyCity

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Jeremy Stoltz has some good screen grabs of Tanner Gentry getting open and not getting the ball.

Looked like he and Trubisky were not in sync.

But makes me feel better that he was getting open against a good secondary.

I saw that in the beginning of the game, were there additional instances of that occurring?

I'm just going to chime in and say that pegging Howard as the Bears best RB since Payton downplays the all around contributions of Neal Anderson and Matt Forte. While he may be the best pure runner, the position requires contributions in all phases (running/blocking/receiving). Anderson, during his short prime, was among the best in the league in all three categories. Forte, while never strong in blitz pickup, was vastly superior as a receiver to Howard. Howard has made significant improvements this season as a blocker, but his receiving skills are so far behind the other two that I cannot rate him as highly as them at this point. He doesn't need to become the dynamic receiver (both out of the backfield and split out wide) that the other two were, but he needs to at least catch the passes that come his way. His hands have not proven reliable though.

1 hour ago, mikee said:

I'm just going to chime in and say that pegging Howard as the Bears best RB since Payton downplays the all around contributions of Neal Anderson and Matt Forte. While he may be the best pure runner, the position requires contributions in all phases (running/blocking/receiving). Anderson, during his short prime, was among the best in the league in all three categories. Forte, while never strong in blitz pickup, was vastly superior as a receiver to Howard. Howard has made significant improvements this season as a blocker, but his receiving skills are so far behind the other two that I cannot rate him as highly as them at this point. He doesn't need to become the dynamic receiver (both out of the backfield and split out wide) that the other two were, but he needs to at least catch the passes that come his way. His hands have not proven reliable though.

Neal Anderson had the misfortune of following a living legend RB. Anderson was a fine runner and he was probably the best deep threat receiver as a RB over at least a decade time period. At least once a game the Bears would get him isolated on a LB or safety on a deep fly pattern and you could almost see the pee stains forming on the defensive coordinator's pants every time. 

9 hours ago, mikee said:

He is a better runner. And baring health he will smash their numbers.

RBs primary job is to run the ball and he is better at the primary job.

I love Forte, but he needed to be subbed out in short yardage.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

It is to bad the Bears could not pair Forte with a good goal line back.

Beside Barber but he will be remembered for one play.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Howard may be a better pure runner but he is also a liability in the passing game from a receiver standpoint. The other two were not just better in that capacity, but were light years better. 

All of this is of course irrelevant. Howard is a stud and we are lucky to have him. 

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Howard may be a better pure runner but he is also a liability in the passing game from a receiver standpoint. The other two were not just better in that capacity, but were light years better. 

All of this is of course irrelevant. Howard is a stud and we are lucky to have him. 

Agreed total stud but I think everyone has a soft spot for Forte. I know I do. He was one of my fav Bears during that era.

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Let's really throw the cat amongst the pigeons...who you starting if both are on the team Howard or Forte? And no split carries Howard on short yardage and Forte on 3rd down answers lol...who you got?

I got Forte- he can do it all (catch, block and perfect for the cutbacks in the zone runs we do).

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Let's really throw the cat amongst the pigeons...who you starting if both are on the team Howard or Forte? And no split carries Howard on short yardage and Forte on 3rd down answers lol...who you got?

Depends on the type of team you have, tbh......

Forte (assuming a younger/prime Forte) would thrive in a NE-type offense (or Detroit or N.O.) where they are pass heavy.....like he did in Trestman's system

Current Bears I don't think Forte would be nearly as productive.... He wasn't great up the middle, and lacks the elite burst/change of direction to hit the edge where our WR grouping isn't as strong either catching or blocking (Forte had Alshon and B-Marsh blocking for him in his day)

Howard is pretty vastly superior in every aspect of being an actual runner, and I think that's more important to the Bears right now.... even if I think Forte is still the better overall player by being so versatile... and has higher potential with a proper setup and a skilled offensive coordinator (I'm still not very high on Loggains outside of a gimmick 1-2 plays a game)

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

If I'm a run-first team - Howard is my lead back without a doubt. Forte if in a pass heavy setup.

That being said I'd have both touching the ball 15+ times per game, and I'd be utilizing both in a splitback formation with regularity. Run either way, RPOs galore, over a dozen play action variants, and Forte can be used to motion out (to see man or zone) and still be an effective slot receiver.

On 10/19/2017 at 2:02 PM, Madmike90 said:

Neal Anderson

Archived