Brandon Scherff hit with franchise tag again

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He’d sign long term here bc we can give him near the contract he wants and we can give him guarantees in his contract there would be twice as much or more than the $18 million on a franchise tag. Last time I checked $30-40 million guaranteed in a long term deal is more than $18 million when he could have a serious injury at any time. 

He’s the only 4 time pro bowler/All-Pro I see on the market.

I believe 32M is the highest guaranteed a guard has ever been paid.  He made more than that in 2 years now. 

At some point you got to recognize that we just overpaid massively and we got zero security in the position long term out of it.  You can be ok with that, but don't pretend that isn't the case.  This is the kind of move that makes it hard to keep your own players much less add pieces.  Now instead of resigning 1 elite defensive player next year in payne, we also have to resign scherff in a year the cap is reportedly going to explode.  Its just bad management of the cap.  

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I believe 32M is the highest guaranteed a guard has ever been paid.  He made more than that in 2 years now. 

At some point you got to recognize that we just overpaid massively and we got zero security in the position long term out of it.  You can be ok with that, but don't pretend that isn't the case.  This is the kind of move that makes it hard to keep your own players much less add pieces.  Now instead of resigning 1 elite defensive player next year in payne, we also have to resign scherff in a year the cap is reportedly going to explode.  Its just bad management of the cap.  

What do you mean $32 million is as much as a guard has ever been paid?

David DeCastro has made $57 million in his career.

Alan Faneca made $56 million in his career.

Zach Martin has made $52 million in 7 seasons.

Also, if the salary cap is going to explode bc of new TV deals next year that opens up more $ to re-sign Scherff now & get ahead of next year when there’s a lot more cap space will be available.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

What do you mean $32 million is as much as a guard has ever been paid?

David DeCastro has made $57 million in his career.

Alan Faneca made $56 million in his career.

Zach Martin has made $52 million in 7 seasons.

Also, if the salary cap is going to explode bc of new TV deals next year that opens up more $ to re-sign Scherff now & get ahead of next year when there’s a lot more cap space will be available.

Read my post more closely.  I was responding to your post about guaranteed.  I said:

• Like 1

Since we went so deep into our oline budget with Scherff maybe we should save some money elsewhere with a cheaper RT.  What do you guys think about trading Moses for a 2nd round pick?  Super tradeable contract, good time to trade him and get high compensation.

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

Since we went so deep into our oline budget with Scherff maybe we should save some money elsewhere with a cheaper RT.  What do you guys think about trading Moses for a 2nd round pick?  Super tradeable contract, good time to trade him and get high compensation.

If Nuk Hopkins only got a second round pick and David Johnson, no way does Moses get that kind of return.  A 4-5 might be about all we can expect if a trade happens. 

• Like 1

Brandon Scherff will be playing his age 29 season, and will be 30 in December.  He has a well-documented injury history that we've discussed in many threads about him.  I can easily see this being a cheaper way to get one more year out of him and then moving on, rather than trying to figure out an extension.  Most OL drop off when they hit 30, and for good reason.  Being in the trenches every game is a huge grind.  Not only that, the workouts and caloric consumption they have to do is insane.  I just lost a lot of weight- I weighed more than an NFL lineman did, and let me tell you..........it is much easier to move around and live life without that weight.  While they are highly talented and trained athletes, there is a cost to the weight they are carrying.  

If that is the case, I actually think it's a smart business decision.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, offbyone said:

He's not worth a 2nd rounder. He's 30 years old. Maybe a 3rd

• Like 1

9 hours ago, offbyone said:

Not a fan & I doubt we’d get a 2nd for a 30 year old RT. Moses is coming off a career year bc he lost weight and stayed healthy. Lucas had a good year - even great - at LT, we kept our center who had a great year. No reason to make changes in our OL unless we find a better option for LG and if a LT falls to us in round 1 like Slater or Darisaw.

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Brandon Scherff will be playing his age 29 season, and will be 30 in December.  He has a well-documented injury history that we've discussed in many threads about him.  I can easily see this being a cheaper way to get one more year out of him and then moving on, rather than trying to figure out an extension.  Most OL drop off when they hit 30, and for good reason.  Being in the trenches every game is a huge grind.  Not only that, the workouts and caloric consumption they have to do is insane.  I just lost a lot of weight- I weighed more than an NFL lineman did, and let me tell you..........it is much easier to move around and live life without that weight.  While they are highly talented and trained athletes, there is a cost to the weight they are carrying.  

That makes sense. I’d rather him on a LTD so he finishes his career here but, it does make sense business wise to have him on the tag this year - take the 3rd round comp next year - it’s just $18 mil instead of $30 mil or more guaranteed.

Congrats on losing the weight man! I know that’s hard and takes a lot of discipline that’s awesome!

I have cousin who recently lost a lot of weight too. She lost like 200 pounds, she was really big ever since high school she put on a ton of weight, now she’s 50 though and weighs the same as she did as a senior in HS.

If we got offered something from the Bengals like a 2nd for Scherrf then O woulddo that in a heart beat. They are probably going to pick Sewell in the 1st so having a line of Sewell at LT, Scherrf at RG, and Jonah Williams at RT could surely help to protect their investment in Burrow. That seems to be their top priority

From there I would sign Trai Turner to a cheaper deal like 4 year 40 mill or along those lines. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

If we got offered something from the Bengals like a 2nd for Scherrf then O woulddo that in a heart beat. They are probably going to pick Sewell in the 1st so having a line of Sewell at LT, Scherrf at RG, and Jonah Williams at RT could surely help to protect their investment in Burrow. That seems to be their top priority

From there I would sign Trai Turner to a cheaper deal like 4 year 40 mill or along those lines. 

Not a bad idea or a 2 and change he was a all pro we can sell that. He’s trended in the right direction each year with health so you can almost sell that too. Turner worries me injury wise too but your right he is compareable. I’d prefer to keep Brandon because paying your own is the right thing but over paying is a mistake. Also they know his true physical shape and have the best insight moving forward. If they think he’s breaking down then def try to get the assets. That second could be Whyatt Davis a very similar player. Younger without the injuries as well. It’s a gamble but we need to make the smart choice not the at heart choice because we need to prepare to be ready for Terry and the guys coming up that for sure no question earned what they will command

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

I like it! Send in the card brother!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I kind of thought that was last year.  This year, the smart business decision would be to take the 18M and invest it into a player who will be with us for more than a year.  If you are going to move on, don't do it after dropping all your cap space on him for one year.  Take that money and get another player and get a young talented guard in the draft who will be here for years to come. 

I am curious if there is ever a case where the double tag made sense for a team long term for any player?  

16 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I kind of thought that was last year.  This year, the smart business decision would be to take the 18M and invest it into a player who will be with us for more than a year.  If you are going to move on, don't do it after dropping all your cap space on him for one year.  Take that money and get another player and get a young talented guard in the draft who will be here for years to come. 

I am curious if there is ever a case where the double tag made sense for a team long term for any player?  

Not sure, I don’t remember a QB playing on the tag until Kirk & then Dak did. Before that teams franchised and traded their QBs or signed them long term. Same w/ other positions. It would be extremely rare if not a first for an OL to play two years straight on a franchise tag.

Edited by turtle28