Brandon Scherff hit with franchise tag again

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Fair point.  I personally didn't see that on the field.

Nevertheless, whatever his status is, I can't pay him >20% more then the currently highest guard in a year of a shrinking cap.  I saw only a marginal difference with Schweitzer in there yet we are going to pay him 3 times as much.  

What would happen if the trend continues and he is only healthy a 1/4 of the time?  How can we pay this much for such a consistent trend.  

I am glad we are trying to keep one of our own, but I don't see that he wants to be here or he would have agreed to a contract. 

Oh I agree with you. I would not pay a guard $18M a year but this is the corner they painted themselves in too. The whole silliness of Rivera’s approach last year of “I need to see it” hurt this team. Scherff could’ve been locked up last year at probably $14M a year but we botched it being stupid.

But they’re also at a point where they haven’t really paid anyone lately. We signed Ioannidis and Rouillier. We allowed Cousins, Williams, Dunbar, Preston Smith, Garçon, Jackson, Crowder etc. to walk. They’re currently haggling over what to pay Darby because they don’t want to pay him too much either but give me a break. At some damn point you have to pay talent. These things shouldn’t even get this far but it keeps happening.  

• Like 1

I'm fine with the move. His biggest question marks are his age and injury history. This was really the first year he's played at an elite level in a while. Nelson, Joel Bitonio, Elgton Jenkins and maybe Wyatt Teller. That's top 5. Any others better? Scherff had 2 penalties this year compared to last year's 9 penalties in 2 more games this year. He clearly stepped up his game

Edited by taylor made
  • Like 1

Scherff on a long term deal will not be $18 mil per year. Not sure why people are saying this. Say we sign him to Zach Martin’s deal. This is what that looked like:

• 6 years, $84 million 

• $20 million signing bonus

• $14 million avg per year

• $40 million guaranteed 

• $32 million guaranteed at signing 

2018: $6 million cap hit

2019: $14 million cap hit

2020: $7 million cap hit (restructure)

2021: $17 million cap hit

2022: $17.9 million 

2023: $15.5 million 

2024: $16 million 

Since Scherff is 29, and not 27 like when Martin signed his I’m sure they’re at an impasse over years & length of the contract. I doubt it’s over actual cost of Scherff’s salary as they paid $15 million last year and at least for right now are prepared to pay him $18 million.

I would think Washington wants to do a 4 or 5 year deal to spread out the signing bonus/guarantees and those cap hits and Scherff’s team probably wants to do a shorter deal - like a 3 year deal - in hopes he can get one more bite of the apple before he retires with a big extension and 3rd contract should his play remain at least good over the next 3 years.

If guess over the impasse is true this seems similar to the disagreements between the Cowboys & Dak over the length of his contract. They eventually came to an agreement. Dan Graziano said the final year of the Dak contract is voidable which helps the Cowboys spread out the guarantees and lowers his cap hit.

I think Washington should do something like that with Scherff. Give him a 3 year deal if that’s what he wants, but make that 3rd year voidable to they can tuck some $ in there and then decide if they want to renegotiate to keep him in the 3rd year of cut him and save a bunch of cap space.

Edited by turtle28

On 3/9/2021 at 8:28 PM, turtle28 said:

Scherff on a long term deal will not be $18 mil per year. Not sure why people are saying this. Say we sign him to Zach Martin’s deal. This is what that looked like:

• 6 years, $84 million 

• $20 million signing bonus

• $14 million avg per year

• $40 million guaranteed 

• $32 million guaranteed at signing 

2018: $6 million cap hit

2019: $14 million cap hit

2020: $7 million cap hit (restructure)

2021: $17 million cap hit

2022: $17.9 million 

2023: $15.5 million 

2024: $16 million 

Since Scherff is 29, and not 27 like when Martin signed his I’m sure they’re at an impasse over years & length of the contract. I doubt it’s over actual cost of Scherff’s salary as they paid $15 million last year and at least for right now are prepared to pay him $18 million.

I would think Washington wants to do a 4 or 5 year deal to spread out the signing bonus/guarantees and those cap hits and Scherff’s team probably wants to do a shorter deal - like a 3 year deal - in hopes he can get one more bite of the apple before he retires with a big extension and 3rd contract should his play remain at least good over the next 3 years.

If guess over the impasse is true this seems similar to the disagreements between the Cowboys & Dak over the length of his contract. They eventually came to an agreement. Dan Graziano said the final year of the Dak contract is voidable which helps the Cowboys spread out the guarantees and lowers his cap hit.

I think Washington should do something like that with Scherff. Give him a 3 year deal if that’s what he wants, but make that 3rd year voidable to they can tuck some $ in there and then decide if they want to renegotiate to keep him in the 3rd year of cut him and save a bunch of cap space.

I’m not saying it won’t happen, but what incentive does Scherff to sign an LTD right now? He’s got $18M coming his way this year and then can sign an LTD next year on the free market. Why would he sign here now?

Franchise was the wrong decision. Guards are plentiful right now. 

6 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

I’m not saying it won’t happen, but what incentive does Scherff to sign an LTD right now? He’s got $18M coming his way this year and then can sign an LTD next year on the free market. Why would he sign here now?

Well obviously if he signs a long term deal he can get more guaranteed $. Right now he has $18 million guaranteed. If he signs a long term deal - even if it’s just a 3 year deal - that guaranteed money nearly doubles and he’ll get most of it at signing. So, he could get about $25 million at signing.

A long term deal is the best move to make for the team because they have him locked up and they can spread the guarantees over the life of the contract and hopefully they can still get it done. Sure there are other guards available, but there’s not any other 4 time Pro Bowl guards & an All-Pro guards available for us to sign that I know of except Scherff.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Could not agree more. Stupid decision . 

11 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Agree.

From Scherff's point of view, negotiating a long term contract next year would be much more lucrative.  It is likely to be a more normal post covid season and the new TV contracts will kick in.  And he gets to do so after he signed a tag not based on the current season lower tag numbers but 120% of last years tag number.  Scherff and his agent are owning our front office during this negotiation.  The only way we can reassert our leverage is rescind the tag after the draft and hope he is inclined to negotiate for real (if we don't replace him in the draft).  If not we roll with Schweitzer.

19 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Could not agree more. Stupid decision.

He’d sign long term here bc we can give him near the contract he wants and we can give him guarantees in his contract there would be twice as much or more than the $18 million on a franchise tag. Last time I checked $30-40 million guaranteed in a long term deal is more than $18 million when he could have a serious injury at any time. 

He’s the only 4 time pro bowler/All-Pro I see on the market.

Edited by turtle28

Im not as upset as most about this move, I agree with Turtle. Don’t create another need on this team by losing Scherff. I think this is a good year for the tag. And his injury concerns and inconsistency in pass protection at times, makes the tag even smarter. Let’s see if he can re produce what he did last season before locking him up. We have plenty of cap to afford his franchise tag.

• Like 1

I'm still hoping it is indeed the NON- exclusive tag . If we get some bites-trade him . There have been some very nice tag and trade deals done in the past . Lot of good guards in F A. He should be racing to the table to sign this thing ( I guess on March 17th / new league year ) before they come to their senses !

Edited by RSkinGM

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I'm still hoping it is indeed the NON- exclusive tag . If we get some bites-trade him . There have been some very nice tag and trade deals done in the past . Lot of good guards in F A. He should be racing to the table to sign this thing ( I guess on March 17th / new league year ) before they come to their senses !

In this year where the cap shrank I don’t know if team will want to take on his $18 mil cap hit. 

Maybe this is a shot in the dark but it just hit my head. Perhaps we can package Scherff w/ Payne or Allen & 2 first round picks for DeShaun Watson.

Now that’s something I’d do. Then, we can trade a 5th for Trai Turner to replace Scherff.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 10:20 PM, A TRAIN 89 said:

The same incentive Jordan Reed had. He’s always hurt. 

41 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Well, there goes any thought of rescinding the tag. The options are now down to three...

1. Sign him to a long-term deal with AAV around $15M

2. Trade him (for less than we would like)

3. Keep him one more year at an exorbitant rate

Those are in order of desirability for me. But the bottom one is WAY lower than the first two, which are close to interchangeable. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1