Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

11 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

pre-delta variant, there was not a single documented case of covid transmission anywhere in the world from casual outdoor interaction (ie walking past someone, etc). 

That's possibly b/c this would literally be impossible to pinpoint.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

But, knowing that that's a possibility, shouldn't we take those precautions now, at least until we're sure? (Part in bold: surely we know that it's impossible to document every transmission. Relying on only what's document is somewhat foolish, in my opinion.)

I mean a large part of the reason we are in this mess is because we knew about Covid 3 months before the world shut down and didnt nothing about it thinking it was going to go away. So, we should do a little bit better job this time around so that we are never back in that siutation.

17 minutes ago, Xenos said:

No one cares if you drink yourself to death. It would be sad but it only affects you. But as soon as you get behind the wheel of a car, it’s illegal because….?

As for your opening comments, the end goal was always to get enough of the population vaccinated and get out of the pandemic that way. Everything else, like lockdowns/social distancing/wearing masks, was only a short term measure until we get the vaccine and use it to reach herd immunity. We unfortunately are returning to indoor masking because not enough people are getting vaccinated. Even indoor masking is a minor inconvenience to me, I would hate to go back even further because of other people’s bad decisions.

The first paragraph really isn't true at all.

"A new report from the Surgeon General says the country spends $442 billion a year in dealing with drug and alcohol abuse."

Yes, that includes drug abuse so it's not the entire amount, but it's still billions in taxpayer dollars. In addition, alcohol leads to the commission of numerous crimes, not just injury and death related to impaired driving.

I just have a hard time understanding why people that believe others should be forced to do things they don't want to do to protect others would refuse to wear masks inside and outside, as doing so could protect someone else.

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean a large part of the reason we are in this mess is because we knew about Covid 3 months before the world shut down and didnt nothing about it thinking it was going to go away. So, we should do a little bit better job this time around so that we are never back in that siutation.

I couldn't agree more. If we're going to force people to vaccinate, let's force every single person to take every single precaution possible. And, if you're someone that believes in forcing people to vaccinate (I'm not), you should be the first to wear a mask, inside and outside, at all times.

46 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I couldn't agree more. If we're going to force people to vaccinate, let's force every single person to take every single precaution possible. And, if you're someone that believes in forcing people to vaccinate (I'm not), you should be the first to wear a mask, inside and outside, at all times.

I’m fine with wearing a mask indoors right now as well as outside if need be. But if you think about it, the reason we have to wear masks again is because of the unvaccinated. So if people all get vaccinated like they should then there would really be no need for masks again unless you’re in the presence of someone who can’t get vaccinated for medical reasons.

Edit: if you did something right but Timmy did something wrong, is it fair to punish both the same way?

Edited by Xenos

5 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I’m fine with wearing a mask indoors right now as well as outside if need be. But if you think about it, the reason we have to wear masks again is because of the unvaccinated. So if people all get vaccinated like they should then there would really be no need for masks again unless you’re in the presence of someone who can’t get vaccinated for medical reasons.

Edit: if you did something right but Timmy did something wrong, is it fair to punish both the same way?

The part in bold is not true: the vaccinated are also transmitting COVID. The CDC director confirmed this just days ago.

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

The part in bold is not true: the vaccinated are also transmitting COVID. The CDC director confirmed this just days ago.

Except that the CDC director also said the vaccinated are also less likely to be infected. Can’t transmit if you don’t get infected.

Edit: I also told another poster this already but the highest rising cases are in the states with the lowest vaccination rate for a reason.

Edited by Xenos

This answers a question I’ve been wanting to know.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-08-06/cdc-covid-19-reinfections-among-unvaccinated-twice-as-likely-than-among-vaccinated%3fcontext=amp

Those who have recovered from COVID-19 who have not been vaccinated might have more than double the chance of reinfection than those who have been inoculated, according to a new study published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Just now, Xenos said:

Except that the CDC director also said the vaccinated are also less likely to be infected. Can’t transmit if you don’t get infected.

Right. Less likely to be infected. Still getting infected, and still spreading the infection, which makes your "the reason we have to wear masks again is because of the unvaccinated" statement 100% false.

Being a person that's driven by a passion of protecting high-risk members of a population, you would want to mask both inside and outside, as you - a vaccinated person - could still be carrying and transmitting the virus to others.

2 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Right. Less likely to be infected. Still getting infected, and still spreading the infection, which makes your "the reason we have to wear masks again is because of the unvaccinated" statement 100% false.

Being a person that's driven by a passion of protecting high-risk members of a population, you would want to mask both inside and outside, as you - a vaccinated person - could still be carrying and transmitting the virus to others.

You’re getting lost in weird backwards logic now. If you do not understand that it’s the unvaccinated fault, then I can’t help you anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

You’re getting lost in weird backwards logic now. If you do not understand that it’s the unvaccinated fault, then I can’t help you anymore. 

Well, no... if anything, I'm getting lost in the words of the CDC director as she clarifies the way this pandemic is evolving.

We, as a people, need to be able to have these conversations without stubbornly assessing blame to one group of people. We do that way too often: divide first, then demonize second. It doesn't help anything.

I do not blame the unvaccinated for having reservations about injecting something into their bodies, especially when those individuals do not appear to be at risk and when the substance has only been approved for emergency use up until this point. That's a very reasonable perspective. I, personally, did not want my elderly parents to be at risk, so I opted for the vaccine. I bet the families of the (very few) people that have died from the vaccine would have a unique perspective on this conversation.

Right now, vaccinated persons are getting and transmitting COVID to others. That is a fact supported by the director of the CDC. That's something that, as well-intentioned members of these communities, we need to be able to understand and allow to modify our approach, not outwardly reject and accuse others of "needing help" for being willing to consider.

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Well, no... if anything, I'm getting lost in the words of the CDC director as she clarifies the way this pandemic is evolving.

We, as a people, need to be able to have these conversations without stubbornly assessing blame to one group of people. We do that way too often: divide first, then demonize second. It doesn't help anything.

I do not blame the unvaccinated for having reservations about injecting something into their bodies, especially when those individuals do not appear to be at risk and when the substance has only been approved for emergency use up until this point. That's a very reasonable perspective. I, personally, did not want my elderly parents to be at risk, so I opted for the vaccine. I bet the families of the (very few) people that have died from the vaccine would have a unique perspective on this conversation.

Right now, vaccinated persons are getting and transmitting COVID to others. That is a fact supported by the director of the CDC. That's something that, as well-intentioned members of these communities, we need to be able to understand and allow to modify our approach, not outwardly reject and accuse others of "needing help" for being willing to consider.

The bolded part is not a reasonable perspective at all, and I’m including the fact that you stupidly included the comments about the families of the people who died from the vaccine. 3 deaths versus over 600K. This is leaving out the people who had to hospitalized and survived, or have long term affects.

5 minutes ago, Xenos said:

The bolded part is not a reasonable perspective at all, and I’m including the fact that you stupidly included the comments about the families of the people who died from the vaccine. 3 deaths versus over 600K. This is leaving out the people who had to hospitalized and survived, or have long term affects.

Just because you personally disagree with something doesn't make it unreasonable. I was reluctant to get vaccinated because I had concerns about potential side effects. I decided that it was worth it regardless. I wouldn't blame nor judge someone for opting to wait.

Stupidly? It isn't about the number of deaths here... that clearly wasn't my point. If my wife had died after getting the vaccine, I would have wished she'd never have gotten it. That also is not unreasonable.

12 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

On second thought, this might not produce productive conversation and only the opposite. 

It's still the cringiest attempt to get people vaccinated that will exist. It's the bottom. It can't get worse

It’s aimed at 12-17 year olds, who by definition watch extremely cringey things for whatever reason.