Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

4 hours ago, Xenos said:

It’s because Moderna used a higher concentration of the drug which is why there were more side effects compared to Pfizer. But the higher concentration probably also led to antibody protection lasting longer in the body.

Probably just taking longer for antibodies to wane. It's bound to happen, unfortunately. Fortunately our memory cells are savage as f...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Wow. I didn't expect Pfizer to drop that much.

#TeamModerna

So - if I'm reading this correctly - as a member of #TeamPfizer, I could get a Moderna booster?

Very nice, hopefully I'll be able to request that when booster efforts begin.

• Like 1

Paywalled:

They worry the Johnson & Johnson shot isn’t enough. A new study offers answers — and questions.

A trial out of South Africa has caught the attention of people, particularly infectious-disease experts, with regard to the effectiveness of Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine against the delta variant.

The Sisonke trial looked at the effectiveness of the single-dose shot in South Africa’s front-line health-care workers.

Linda Gail-Bekker, one of the researchers for the trial, said the vaccine was found to be to be up to 95 percent effective in preventing delta variant-caused death and up to 71 percent effective in averting hospitalizations.

The results, which have not been peer reviewed or published in a scientific journal, show that the vaccine is not only safe but also effective in fighting the delta variant, she said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/10/johnson-johnson-covid-vaccine-worry/?utm_campaign=wp_for_you&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_personalizedforyou&utm_content=readinghistory_Health__position2

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

So - if I'm reading this correctly - as a member of #TeamPfizer, I could get a Moderna booster?

Very nice, hopefully I'll be able to request that when booster efforts begin.

The issue obviously is should we be worrying about boosters when there are so many people that need to be vaccinated, especially outside our country? That’s my ethical dilemma. I want to be selfish and have the boosters for my family and me. But is it the right thing when variants could arise from poorer countries that need the vaccine? This is why I spend time complaining instead of leading. Call me a Monday Morning QB when it comes to vaccine decisions 😅

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

CDC is recommending again that pregnant women or those trying to get pregnant to get vaccinated.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/08/11/1026555595/pregnant-cdc-urges-covid-vaccination-icus-fill-unvaccinated-delta

The low vaccination rate in this group is striking, doctors note. As of July 31, only 23% of those who are pregnant had received at least one dose of vaccine against the coronavirus, according to CDC statistics.

"CDC recommends that pregnant people should be vaccinated against COVID-19, based on new evidence about the safety and effectiveness of the COVID-19 vaccines," the agency said in updated guidance that echoes the urgent recommendation of leading medical societies. "COVID-19 vaccination is recommended for all people 12 years and older, including people who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or trying to get pregnant now or might become pregnant in the future."

27 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Is there any info on Delta deaths seems like they mainly talk about hospitalizations?

I’m not sure if this is the best source or breakdown but this is what I could find. Essentially it’s less clear because there’s a bunch of different variables.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/covid-delta-variant-death-rates-what-we-know-so-far-1618350%3famp=1

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

hypothetically speaking, if ya'all had a loved one (well-educated) that was vaccine hesitant and is now taking Ivermectin after a potential exposure - how would you approach it? Is it harmless (beyond being an illegitimate reason for not getting vaccinated)?

lol isn't the most frequent use for that heartworms in dogs?

https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB00602

It's a substrate for 3A4 and that's about it, so you're not gonna run into any crazy DDIs or anything. 

29 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

lol isn't the most frequent use for that heartworms in dogs?

https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB00602

It's a substrate for 3A4 and that's about it, so you're not gonna run into any crazy DDIs or anything. 

It's for a horse, actually. It's a situation where this person (hypothetically) and their significant other both have post-grad degrees, one in a tangential field, so I'm concerned it's a "little bit of knowledge is dangerous" situations and I don't want them (hypothetically) killing themselves ha

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's for a horse, actually. It's a situation where this person (hypothetically) and their significant other both have post-grad degrees, one in a tangential field, so I'm concerned it's a "little bit of knowledge is dangerous" situations and I don't want them (hypothetically) killing themselves ha

Damn. This is the complete opposite of Idiocracy.

test guy GIF

Edited by Xenos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

That'd be quite a way to go out. Well here's a list of DDIs you could throw their way:

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/ivermectin-index.html

• Like 2

6 hours ago, incognito_man said:

hypothetically speaking, if ya'all had a loved one (well-educated) that was vaccine hesitant and is now taking Ivermectin after a potential exposure - how would you approach it? Is it harmless (beyond being an illegitimate reason for not getting vaccinated)?

So from what I've read, Ivermectin (I'm assuming in smaller doses than a horse gets) has helped in pre and post covid situations, but the trials were small. I know they were going to try it in some bigger ones but honestly haven't heard about any. So while it's obviously not the same as a vaccine, there is a chance it could be alright (sorry that's not really an answer). Bret Weinstein has talked about it more in-depth than I could if you want to check that out.

Honestly if it works, great. I know we all want everyone to get vaccinated but if there is another solution and the combination of the two protects everyone, that's not a bad thing. I just don't know that there is enough evidence to support it being another solution yet. 

On 8/10/2021 at 4:59 PM, Xenos said:

Despite the title, I actually think this article fairly captures the emotional complexity of having to wear mask indoors again. The anger for example. Why should we wear a mask and be responsible if the unvaccinated can’t hold up their end of the bargain?

https://news.yahoo.com/why-experts-say-even-vaccinated-people-need-to-mask-up-during-a-delta-surge-090023572.html

"If you dont trust the medical field to prevent you from getting it, why do you trust them to cure you from it--why are you running to the hospital"

Oh hell yeah this is getting good

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, Xenos said:

#TeamModerna SQUAAAAD. The second dose was miserable as hell and it took me out for 24 hours but man it feels good to be here now

t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

• Like 2