Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Serious question:

My mom is unable to get vaccinated as she has/had cancer and it is an issue in conjunction with her treatment. She was informed today that she may have to get it or risk quitting her job. What's the legal justification in this medical instance?

She was misinformed. She can opt for weekly testing and mask wearing instead of the vaccine.

Edited by incognito_man

19 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Serious question:

My mom is unable to get vaccinated as she has/had cancer and it is an issue in conjunction with her treatment. She was informed today that she may have to get it or risk quitting her job. What's the legal justification in this medical instance?

There are medical exceptions. I can't imagine this wouldn't qualify.

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

Then her 3rd option is not to be employed pending the courts.

🤷‍♂️

Kind of figured

Unpopular take:

I'm against government mandates (shocking for some of you I'm sure) for a lot of reasons. This is one of them.

• Like 2

Just now, MWil23 said:

Kind of figured

Unpopular take:

I'm against government mandates (shocking for some of you I'm sure) for a lot of reasons. This is one of them.

It's unpopular for good reason. I can't understand why someone with co-morbidities like your mother wouldn't want to protect herself from death as much as possible.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

It's unpopular for good reason.

If I had a legitimate medical reason for not getting vaccinated (she does), then I wouldn't wear a mask or subject myself to weekly PCR tests either (having had 3 of them) for the rest of my life. There's not an "end game" for people like her. This is the last I'll say on this particular issue.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

If I had a legitimate medical reason for not getting vaccinated (she does), then I wouldn't wear a mask or subject myself to weekly PCR tests either (having had 3 of them) for the rest of my life. There's not an "end game" for people like her. This is the last I'll say on this particular issue.

Ok.

You don't see an end-game precisely because of people who think like you which is resulting in a prolonged pandemic.

It's unfortunate that you are not aware of this.

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Serious question:

What is their justification?  I have no idea.  I imagine it will be one of the traditional employer arguments, though (safety of others, etc.).

There may be an ADA claim to be made against that.

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

She will not do that. I forgot to say that part.

Then I doubt the ADA claim I posited would be successful, as this would be their offered accommodation that is legally recognized as a compromise, being rejected.

Still, may be able to get a dispensation of sorts.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SwAg said:

Then I doubt the ADA claim I posited would be successful, as this would be their offered accommodation that is legally recognized as a compromise, being rejected.

Still, may be able to get a dispensation of sorts.

Thanks, just curious and trying to help her process options of all sorts. I know she's got an appointment with her oncologist, but being an expert in social studies and government vs. the interpretation of law and these things would be WAY different. 

15 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

People like me who are fully vaccinated, whose immediate family (those eligible) are fully vaccinated, and who is getting their booster in under two weeks. Yep, people like me are responsible for this. Clown answer.

You're right. I admit I wasn't aware you disagreed with her. I assumed incorrectly and I apologize.

I'll update it to: "people who think like her". 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I guess the end game is enough people around her gets vaccinated that there’s herd immunity, and she no longer needs to wear a mask and weekly testing. Same thing for anything else pre Covid ie. children who can’t safely get vaccinated for measles. That’s all I can think of.