Was Brandon Scherff Worth the #5 Overall Pick?

MKnight82

I'm fine with the pick.  Obviously, we can play revisionist history and say he's a guard, but he was drafted to be the right tackle, and eventually take over for Trent Williams.  However, Morgan Moses somehow got a fire lit under him, and he's ended up being pretty damn good on the right side, which allowed the Redskins to shift Scherff inside.  

25 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'm fine with the pick.  Obviously, we can play revisionist history and say he's a guard, but he was drafted to be the right tackle, and eventually take over for Trent Williams.  However, Morgan Moses somehow got a fire lit under him, and he's ended up being pretty damn good on the right side, which allowed the Redskins to shift Scherff inside.  

What allowed the Redskins to kick Scherff inside was how poorly Scherff was in practice when lined up at RT. He's a tremendous guard though. 

1 hour ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

Well, baring injury this dude can end up in the HOF.  So yea we all have to eat crow and say it was more than worth it..  

No, not really.

Guard has minimal effect on a game. Offensive linemen work as a team, exclusively. There is no individual effort.

That's why it's dumb to spend a top pick outside of LT. They will have no impact of the other linemen stink. You're far better off finding a franchise LT and constantly drafting good offensive linemen in the later rounds. 

Every other portion has a much more obvious and quantifiable impact on the game. Case in point, we're all lamenting over the loss of Allen. If we had taken Williams at number 5 and Ali Marpet in the third round, would there be any drop off on the offensive line? Doubtful. But our defense is greatly impacted, as we would have another impact player in defense and virtually the same performance on the Oline.

You never, EVER, take a guard at number 5 overall.

3 hours ago, Slateman said:

No, not really.

Guard has minimal effect on a game. Offensive linemen work as a team, exclusively. There is no individual effort.

That's why it's dumb to spend a top pick outside of LT. They will have no impact of the other linemen stink. You're far better off finding a franchise LT and constantly drafting good offensive linemen in the later rounds. 

Every other portion has a much more obvious and quantifiable impact on the game. Case in point, we're all lamenting over the loss of Allen. If we had taken Williams at number 5 and Ali Marpet in the third round, would there be any drop off on the offensive line? Doubtful. But our defense is greatly impacted, as we would have another impact player in defense and virtually the same performance on the Oline.

You never, EVER, take a guard at number 5 overall.

For that matter, so do DL. The ability of Allen to take on double teams has freed up the other lineman and LBs to get home. As for OL not having any impact on other OL, I completely disagree with this. The presence of Scherff has helped Moses become a better RT. Its not a coincidence that he started playing like a legit RT when paired with Scherff on the right. 

As for a dropoff on the OL, I think there would definitely be one. IMHO, Moses would not be the player he is without Scherff to his left. 

Again, I know you disagree and that's cool. I just think you're wrong if you're assuming that only the OL work as a team and not the DL. 

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

For that matter, so do DL. The ability of Allen to take on double teams has freed up the other lineman and LBs to get home. As for OL not having any impact on other OL, I completely disagree with this. The presence of Scherff has helped Moses become a better RT. Its not a coincidence that he started playing like a legit RT when paired with Scherff on the right. 

As for a dropoff on the OL, I think there would definitely be one. IMHO, Moses would not be the player he is without Scherff to his left. 

Again, I know you disagree and that's cool. I just think you're wrong if you're assuming that only the OL work as a team and not the DL. 

Everything works as a team. Secondary too, pass rush w/ pass coverage, wrs & qb, RB & OL, lbs w/ safeties in coverage.

Dudes a animal!!! He’s a redskin!!!!! He’s our best OLineman!!! The guy is a monster and is a elite football player!!! Hate the pick or love the pick but we have a lot of clean pockets for Kirk and this guy is just a beast when he gets his hands on guys!!!

14 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Except defensive linemen's input is far more individually based. One dominant defensive lineman can bring the rest of the line up. The same is not true for offensive linemen. As good as Trent Williams is, he doesn't make everyone else better. Every other position attacks their opponent, scheming for weaknesses. The offensive line can't do that.

And if Scherff is really making Moses better, than why did we just pay Moses top 3 money? If Scherff is this amazing lineman, we should be giving him that money, and rotating out RTs. And, frankly, we should be getting a lot play from the center position.

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

Except defensive linemen's input is far more individually based. One dominant defensive lineman can bring the rest of the line up. The same is not true for offensive linemen. As good as Trent Williams is, he doesn't make everyone else better. Every other position attacks their opponent, scheming for weaknesses. The offensive line can't do that.

And if Scherff is really making Moses better, than why did we just pay Moses top 3 money? If Scherff is this amazing lineman, we should be giving him that money, and rotating out RTs. And, frankly, we should be getting a lot play from the center position.

It’s the combination that’s making Moses a better player. If you’re a good player or even average or below like Lauvao, when you’re playing next to a pro bowler on the OL or on the DL it makes you better as well. 

Just because Scherff has helped Moses be better doesn’t mean Moses isn’t work his contract, he clearly is.

A good example is how Allen made Ioannidis better on the DL because Allen took on two blockers every play.

22 hours ago, Jlash said:

I think the better question is why is his last name pronounced "Sheriff" when there's no 'I' in it?

That's a good question. I wondered that too. Maybe it's like the "Favre" thing where there's no good answer other than "it's his name he can pronounce it how he wants"?

Archived