2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

2 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Yeah that's obviously not what you were saying.  Your entire argument is that the regular season doesn't matter and the Cavaliers proved that in the post season last year.  Why would you be harping on the Celtics thinking they could win a regular season game if your entire point is that those games didn't matter and the Cavs showed it in the post season.

Even then, I don't recall anyone being very optimistic about those regular season games.

Except I never said I thought that. I said people thought so...try again 

3 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

Yes I saw the Cavaliers a lot last season.  This year they are noticeably worse.  Like so much worse it's laughable you are comparing them. The Cavaliers last year after the all star break knew where they stood, knew seeding didn't matter, and just packed it in for a couple months.  This year the CAVALIERS ARE CURRENTLY NOT IN THE PLAYOFFS AND NEED TO WIN TO EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.  Do you really not see the difference in why the Cavaliers packed it in last year IN THE SECOND HALF versus BEING OUT PLAYED THE FIRST QUARTER OF THE SEASON.

I'm not making it an analogy between teams.  I'm making an analogy of why it's stupid to have to be reactive to everything.  Brady could say he's retiring at the end of the season and you'd be there pounding your fist saying Brady has never retired before and until he signs off in the league office he's not retiring.

Yes, people thought the Bulls could win and they got exposed against a much better Heat team.  This years Cavs are not remotely close to that Heat team which featured prime Lebron, prime Wade and prime Bosh.  This years Cavs is not that team.  And this years Celtics is miles better than that Bulls team.  Rose was so hilariously overrated, I knew he would fall apart.  The narrative was the Bulls could win but I knew the Heat would crush them.  Narrative=/=correct.

Wade said the Pacers were the better team, and the Pacers just collectively choked.  I don't understand how you can try to even argue that series when DWAYNE WADE HIMSELF said that the Pacers were better and the Heat got lucky and had no business in the Finals.  DWAYNE FREAKING WADE SAID SO.  YOU ARE WRONG.

No.  You are the one who is clueless.  The Celtics are the better team and should be the favorites in a seven game series against the Cavaliers.  You are mistaking "POSSIBLE" with favorites.  It is POSSIBLE that Lebron has a historically good series and that's enough.  That does not make the Cavaliers FAVORITES.    That makes it POSSIBLE that Lebron can carry them to a win.

Lebron was in his prime and a massive favorite to win against the Mavericks but he lost.  Lebron is not this "hurr durr super trump card" that means Lebron's team always wins.  That's just the intellectually lazy journalism of ESPN that is speaking where they either say something purposefully outrageous to get clicks or they defer to playing everything safe.  "WELL UNTIL SOMEONE SHOWS THEY CAN BEAT LEBRON, IM GOING TO BURY MY HEAD IN THE SAND AND SAY LEBRON IS THE FAVORITE, REGARDLESS OF CONTEXT, TEAM, SITUATION, OR WHAT HAS BEEN IN FRONT OF ME".

The Cavaliers are a mediocre team with an all time talent barely keeping them afloat.   If Lebron wasn't on that team, they'd be in contention for the #1 pick.  That team is awful defensively at every position except whatever position Lebron fills that given night.   That team also has no shooting, mediocre rebounding and below average with turnovers/ball handling.   Outside of Lebron the team is old, slow, poorly constructed, and has chemistry issues.

Per NBA.com the Cavs defensive rating post all star break last season is worse than their current defense. So let's get that out of the way. The same defensuve problems they had last season is the same as this year. Funny how you say the Cavs packed in last year, yet this start is a true reflection what they are. Why can't they be packing it in now? 

And the Thunder aren't in the playoffs, really doesn't say much. 

The analogy is stupid. Simple as that.

You're not getting it, they don't have to be those teams. LeBron is playing at as high a level as he has since his 2013. As long as he is there, they have shown in the East that he is good enough to overcome whatever deficiencies they have. Funny your coach came out today and said you're not as good as your record indicates and there where your optimism that you can beat them mostly comes from. So why can you assume that the Cavs improve defensively but Celtics will improve offensively? Celtics have a great defense but an middling offense at best. Cavs a high scoring offense and horrific defense. So based on that, it's a pick em. One team has one of TE greatest players of all time. 

1 hour ago, MookieMonster said:

Yeah, people who are saying the Cavs are in regular season "coasting mode" aren't watching the games. They look generally BAD outside of Lebron. Depth is crap, defense is crap.

Lebron will carry them to playoffs, but they wont make noise barring a trade for a legit player.

The depth is not bad. The defense sure but the depth is one of the few bright spots this year. 

8 minutes ago, jfinley88 said:

whats up w/ jae crowder? 

He’s just not that good and he’s playing out of position. Lue keep putting him at the 4 but he’s too small to guard most bigs and he’s too slow to guard most guards. He gets blown by all the time. And he keeps jacking up contests shots which he never hits. I don’t know what his issue is. And he makes Shumps handles look like prime iverson. 

Archived