2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

10 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Stats haven't been updated to include Kyrie's monster shooting night but...

22.5 PPG, 46/38/89 shooting splits,  5 APG, 1.6 SPG along with upper tier defense on the team with the best record.

I imagine after last night it's going to creep towards 23.5, 48, 40, 90 and by the end of the season he'll be close to the 50/40/90 area.

Not to mention some insane clutch numbers, the narrative of new team, Hayward out for season, the streak.

Second take:  Kyrie is a good candidate for MVP.

No, stats are updated and he is averaging the line you put up in the second sentence.

Kyrie approaching Dirk status in the clutch.

For all my Kyrie hate I’ve known/realized how good of a pure scorer/clutch scorer he was but felt he was criminally overrated. Can’t say anything anymore after last night.

3rd best pure shooting performance I’ve ever seen after Klay’s 60 and Dirk’s 48 against OKC in the 2011 playoffs.

Just now, Pastor Dillon said:

its sarcasm, i hope.

2 rebounds per game was worth more than 1 assist and 8 more wins. 

thats why westbrook won the MVP. 

If it was 7 rebounds vs 5 it wouldn't be a big deal. But his 2 extra rebounds had more historic significance. Not saying who I think should be MVP or if that's fair, just saying that's why those 2 rebounds mattered more.

55 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

If you want to make a case for how Kyrie is a generational defensive talent that is the main reason why a team is now giving up like 10 points less a game than last year, I'll listen to your case for MVP.

Definitely deserves to be mentioned, but still a tough sell given how someone else is clearly mostly responsible for that record.

So were going to hold great coaching against Kyrie in an argument for MVP?

That makes absolutely no sense.

3 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

So were going to hold great coaching against Kyrie in an argument for MVP?

That makes absolutely no sense.

If the reason why your team is the best in the league is the best defense to which your contributions are mild, while you're having a typical season for your standards, added with great clutch play (which should put him in the discussion combined with great team success), I fail to see a strong case for MVP. If he was putting up Curry MVP numbers, which seems to me like what some people are acting like, then you'd have a great case.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

Irving would be a candidate just like Derrick Rose was back in 2011.  If Boston wins 60+ and Irving maintains his numbers, he'll end up top 3.  Whether he wins or not would depend on the rest of the league.

Actually a really good comparison. Irving and Rose are/were the icing on the cake on teams that relied on defense and rebounding (Chicago being more dominant in the latter IIRC).

3 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:
19 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Irving would be a candidate just like Derrick Rose was back in 2011.  If Boston wins 60+ and Irving maintains his numbers, he'll end up top 3.  Whether he wins or not would depend on the rest of the league.

14 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Actually a really good comparison. Irving and Rose are/were the icing on the cake on teams that relied on defense and rebounding (Chicago being more dominant in the latter IIRC).

Except Irving is better than Rose ever was on both offense and defense.

His individual numbers don't compare to other candidates and his candidacy is based mostly on surprising team record.  That's exactly like Rose.

Archived