2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

9 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

Yes or no, KD is the most dangerous player in crunch time in the NBA right now?

Sure he's dangerous when he isn't just chucking up three pointers. For one shot, I'd feel most comfortable with the ball in his hands. Would feel even more comfortable if he wasn't so three point happy. 

Overall, LeBron has been the best in crunch time this year along with Kyrie. 

Kobe Bryant's jersey retirement was so awesome.  I continue to appreciate him more and more as time goes on.  His tenacity, grit, fire, work ethic and personality were all cut from a different cloth than most other people.  He's one of the greatest to ever play the game and it was a joy and privilege to watch him play.

Before LeBron who will have just as long if not more longevity, Kobe had that title. Dude in year 17 was playing out of his mind while averaging 38.5 MPG. All this talk of LeBron's minutes, Kobe in years 16 and 17 was playing over 38 MPG. And he played in damn near all the back to backs unless he was injured. Rightfully or not, Kobe is a guy who fellow players rate a lot higher than the average basketball fan. 

Speaking of minutes, LeBron led the league in minutes last year 37.8. Just in 2007, the leader in minutes per game was Iverson at 42.5. In 1997, Anthony Mason led the league at 43.1 MPG, and Jordan at age 40 was playing 37 MPG. Times have definitely changed. Pretty soon the leader in MPG will be at 36.

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Before LeBron who will have just as long if not more longevity, Kobe had that title. Dude in year 17 was playing out of his mind while averaging 38.5 MPG. All this talk of LeBron's minutes, Kobe in years 16 and 17 was playing over 38 MPG. And he played in damn near all the back to backs unless he was injured. Rightfully or not, Kobe is a guy who fellow players rate a lot higher than the average basketball fan. 

Speaking of minutes, LeBron led the league in minutes last year 37.8. Just in 2007, the leader in minutes per game was Iverson at 42.5. In 1997, Anthony Mason led the league at 43.1 MPG, and Jordan at age 40 was playing 37 MPG. Times have definitely changed. Pretty soon the leader in MPG will be at 36.

Agreed.  I don't remember Kobe taking rest days.  He only didn't play when he was injured.  The game has definitely changed and has players, coaches and organizations mentalities about resting more throughout the long season.  Kobe was very fortunate to not have many significant injuries until very late in his career.  Speaking of LeBron, he's unreal.  The amount of beating he takes every game.  He's like an indestructible tank.  Hopefully he can continue his career avoiding injury.

Speaking of things that have changed.... Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant.  Guys who had hall-of-fame careers and some of the best to ever play the game and did it all with one organization. 

I remember there was this game where Kobe messed up something on his shooting hand/arm and people thought he was gonna be out for a while. He played in the next game, shot the ball with his left hand, shot like crap IIRC, but drilled a game sealing jumper with his left hand over someone, I think it was a game against the Celtics.

I think there are players who you have to watch play to truly appreciate them, often for their intangibles, Kobe was one of them (though it was obviously a double edged sword). AI was another, in my insanely biased opinion.

Yeah, he dislocated his finger and popped it back in the same game but his shot was trash for the next couple of games before he adjusted. His pain tolerance was second to none. His cult following makes it tough at times, but he's definitely a guy who will be respected more as time goes by. 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

His cult following makes it tough at times, but he's definitely a guy who will be respected more as time goes by. 

Yea, I was definitely more of a hater than appreciator throughout his career, entirely due to people being so annoying when exaggerating his greatness. That's died down a lot and it makes it much easier to appreciate him.

1 hour ago, Mossburg said:

I think there are players who you have to watch play to truly appreciate them, often for their intangibles, Kobe was one of them (though it was obviously a double edged sword). AI was another, in my insanely biased opinion.

Agreed.  From an NFL standpoint, I think of Ben Roethlisberger as that guy who has a lot of intangibles.  He took a beating and managed to still play when a lot of guys couldn't.  Same with Steve McNair, God rest his soul.  McNair was one of the best and most dependable QB's.  It was almost like he was Hercules or something - McNair took hits and suffered injures that would prevent mere mortals from playing.

Archived