2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

2 minutes ago, kyle21121 said:

I don't buy into the Rockets as a for real contender. I'll need to see it to believe it. It pains me to say it but they are Raptors West and Toronto is Houston North. They are the same. I'll need to see something.

Its still too early to judge the Rockets.  Rockets are clearly better than the Raptors.  A healthy Rockets team has been very dangerous this season so far.  Raptors and Rockets isn't a good comparison.  Rockets 2 best players are better than the Raptors best player (derozan), and the Rockets role players are better than the Raptors.  Sure they have gone on a nice little streak but they stand no chance beating the Cavs or even the Celtics.  You and I both know this.

11 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Its still too early to judge the Rockets.  Rockets are clearly better than the Raptors.  A healthy Rockets team has been very dangerous this season so far.  Raptors and Rockets isn't a good comparison.  Rockets 2 best players are better than the Raptors best player (derozan), and the Rockets role players are better than the Raptors.  Sure they have gone on a nice little streak but they stand no chance beating the Cavs or even the Celtics.  You and I both know this.

Your take is fine. I'm entering my pessimistic mode but. I think you may be undervaluing the Raptors because you don't watch them enough and I very well could be undervaluing the rockets  but they are in the same position they are both clearly the second or third best team in their conference. The raptors chances of beating Cleveland are about the same as the rockets beating the warriors imo. Honestly I don't get the straight up Raptors aren't beating the Celtics opinion people have obviously if they played Boston could win that series but it's not a forgone conclusion and conversely if you have the same forgone conclusion that Houston would definitely beat San Antonio or OKC I don't think Hoston is clearly going to win either of those matchups. 

I'm not even saying anything about who is better player wise. Sure CP3 > Lowry and Harden > DD but those are the top 2 players on both teams and are elite regular season players but leave a lot to be desired in postseason play. CP3 and Harden have the same postseason success as DD and Lowry have. The West at the top is better than the East at the top but relative to competition they have about the same major results they are basically the same. 

5 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

He's admitting that his team under performs in the playoffs because of precedent, just like there is precedent in Houston. I do think they had a successful series vs the Spurs last year, but given they had them by the balls and squandered it, basically falls into what people are saying about not trusting them. He's also saying that because of this precedent he actually needs to SEE them break out of it in order for him to trust them. Yes, this applies to your Rockets as well, that's what fans of other teams on here think who don't even care about the Rockets. Regular season success has absolutely nothing to do with any of this, otherwise he'd be beating his chest about the Raptors having a great season like the some Rockets fans are.

3 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

He's admitting that his team under performs in the playoffs because of precedent, just like there is precedent in Houston. I do think they had a successful series vs the Spurs last year, but given they had them by the balls and squandered it, basically falls into what people are saying about not trusting them. He's also saying that because of this precedent he actually needs to SEE them break out of it in order for him to trust them. Yes, this applies to your Rockets as well, that's what fans of other teams on here think who don't even care about the Rockets. Regular season success has absolutely nothing to do with any of this, otherwise he'd be beating his chest about the Raptors having a great season like the some Rockets fans are.

Raptors are 1-0 vs Houston this season?

1 minute ago, kyle21121 said:

Raptors are 1-0 vs Houston this season?

Haha, I mean if you're talking to a dude who's using the regular season to make a case for contendership, then I'd say that's a pretty valid argument for why Raptors > Rockets in a 7 game series.

Just now, Mossburg said:

Haha, I mean if you're talking to a dude who's using the regular season to make a case for contendership, then I'd say that's a pretty valid argument for why Raptors > Rockets in a 7 game series.

so what if the rockets win in Toronto the 2nd meeting?

Both teams are gonna have great regular seasons. Both finishing 1-3 seeds in their respective conferences then both teams should be able to advance past round 1 unless something goes wrong catastrophically. Both teams could advance past round 2 if they don't play Cavs/Warriors in that round but it won't be a huge shock if they lost and had generally poor showings at times. Unless something changes conference finals participants against two dramatically better teams are where I see both teams ceilings this season. That's kind of my Raps/Rockets comp. I think it's fair even if I worded it badly in my previous post. 

1 hour ago, kyle21121 said:

I don't buy into the Rockets as a for real contender. I'll need to see it to believe it. It pains me to say it but they are Raptors West and Toronto is Houston North. They are the same. I'll need to see something.

At least the rockets went out and added a star this year and got a new coach last year to try and win. Toronto keeps rolling out the same crap. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Why do you always bring up Westrbrook when talking about Harden? Calm down, everyone here knows Harden is a great player. He just had a bad shooting night and ended the game with two bad or questionable fouls. It happens, no big deal.

Because him and Westbrook are always going to be linked and the debate on this page has been whonis better between the two. Plus it was Westbrook who got MVP over harden last year and Harden who bounced him from the playoffs 

Archived