2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News:

The “Grit n Grind” Grizzlies had become a brand in Memphis, and Fizdale’s objective was to blow it up.

“He wanted his own locker room,” a Grizzlies source told the Daily News. “And he basically convinced management to get rid of Zach (Randolph), to get rid of Tony Allen.”

Trying to morph the Grizzlies was always going to strain a relationship with Gasol, and the toxicity reached a pivotal moment when, according to a source, Fizdale confronted the team about its lack of desire following a defeat. The coach went around the locker room asking each player if he believed he could win a championship. If they lacked belief, they didn’t belong on the Grizzlies.

The younger players went along. Gasol, however, answered, “No.” Then when asked for an explanation, Gasol replied, “We don’t have the right leader.”

Fizdale had a solid comeback, but it couldn’t have helped his future with Gasol.

“I get it, you want Gregg Popovich, and I want LeBron James,” the coach told his star player, according to a source.

Ken Berger of Bleacher Report:

According to a person familiar with the situation, a key source of the unrest was that Fizdale diminished Gasol’s Euroleague accomplishments.

“He literally said to Marc Gasol, ‘I know what real championships are, not that fake stuff in Europe,'” the person said. “‘That Euro championship stuff doesn’t cut it.'”

Frank Isola of the New York Daily News:

According to a source close to the situation, some of their problems started when Fizdale dismissed Gasol’s success on the international stage. He also reminded Gasol that he, Fizdale, won two championships and that Gasol had zero. The general feeling among the Grizzlies was that Fizdale’s two championships as an assistant coach in Miami were because of LeBron James.

Lmaoooo. Fizdale is the GOAT for this. First he tells Gasol his Euro league accomplishments mean nothing, and then he acts like he was the HC of the Heat when they won their two tiles LOL. 

Fizdale>>>Gasol 

29 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lmaoooo. Fizdale is the GOAT for this. First he tells Gasol his Euro league accomplishments mean nothing, and then he acts like he was the HC of the Heat when they won their two tiles LOL. 

Fizdale>>>Gasol 

Haha.  I love Fizdale.

10 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

I guess that is cool? Sounds more arrogant than anything. And kinda a POS

SMH, Gasol tried to be slick and Fizdale clapped back. The part about two real rings is hilarious and shows he has little shame claiming those as he was the HC, but Gasol is tripping for holding grudges on Fizdale not bringing Z-Bo or Allen back. 

And then the Grizzlies end up with J.B. Bickerstaff which is even more hilarious. 

Fizdale should have tried to get the Bucks job over the Knicks job if possible though. 

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

SMH, Gasol tried to be slick and Fizdale clapped back. The part about two real rings is hilarious and shows he has little shame claiming those as he was the HC, but Gasol is tripping for holding grudges on Fizdale not bringing Z-Bo or Allen back. 

And then the Grizzlies end up with J.B. Bickerstaff which is even more hilarious. 

Fizdale should have tried to get the Bucks job over the Knicks job if possible though. 

That's great if they were in a rap battle but I don't think his job is to get in bickering matches with his players. Kinda seems detrimental to the actual job he is suppose to do. If your players won't play for you (or just your best player) it doesn't matter if you are a good coach or not. 

If he did the same with Kristaps he'll probably be back at ESPN in no time.

Of course, but again Gasol was in his feelings for the team not re-signing Z-Bo/Allen and then it didn't help he got benched a day or two before Fizdale got fired. So what should have Fizdale said when Gasol told him we don't have the right guy leading the team? You're right, I think the team should fire me and go in another direction? 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Messina is Pop's second in command and he's getting passed up left and right. Starting to think he's never getting a NBA HC gig. 

Bud is still available too. Would be strange if he didn't get a job this off season. 

2 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Bud is still available too. Would be strange if he didn't get a job this off season. 

I think I read yesterday he was the favorite for the Bucks HC gig. Then I read Monty Williams is one of the favorites as well so I'm not sure now lol.

Any other coaching jobs that will open up? Possibly the Raptors? 

I had no interest in Fiz in Denver based on how his stint with his star player in Memphis went, tbh. But I do think he is a good coach and an awesome dude. 

I'll take Bud next offseason tho 

10 minutes ago, champ11 said:

I had no interest in Fiz in Denver based on how his stint with his star player in Memphis went, tbh. But I do think he is a good coach and an awesome dude. 

I'll take Bud next offseason tho 

Denver? Since when have you guys had a coaching vacancy? 

Archived