49ers Re-Sign Trent Williams to a 6 Year 138M Deal

J-ALL-DAY

I know it is posted in the other thread but this one definitely deserves its own. 

Really interested in seeing the numbers for this one and if there are any voidable years. 

All in all, glad we got the best LT back for the rest of his career. 

• Like 1

That's alot of damn money. That's starting QB money if we're being honest. I mean I get it. Definitely soldifies the blindside for at leaat the next three years. Can't really be mad at that. But yeah... that's alot of money lol.

I don't think this rules out OT@12 either. Could see a scenario where me move McG in a draft day trade and pick someone like Slater or Darrishaw to play RT as a succession plan to take over for Trent eventually.

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

That's alot of damn money. That's starting QB money if we're being honest. I mean I get it. Definitely soldifies the blindside for at leaat the next three years. Can't really be mad at that. But yeah... that's alot of money lol.

I don't think this rules out OT@12 either. Could see a scenario where me move McG in a draft day trade and pick someone like Slater or Darrishaw to play RT as a succession plan to take over for Trent eventually.

The good part is we go to the draft without a desperate need. Not saying we can’t use another corner or edge rusher or OL, but you can pretty much go with the highest rated player. 

Definitely wouldn't surprise me if we go OL first round. Think it will be edge or CB though, always thought that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The good part is we go to the draft without a desperate need. Not saying we can’t use another corner or edge rusher or OL, but you can pretty much go with the highest rated player. 

Definitely wouldn't surprise me if we go OL first round. Think it will be edge or CB though, always thought that. 

It definitely SHOULD NOT be edge in the first. That's just not wise for this edge class. I'd rather go edge on Day 3 personally.

• Like 2

Just now, 757-NINER said:

It definitely SHOULD NOT be edge in the first. That's just not wise for this edge class. I'd rather go edge on Day 3 personally.

I hear you, but I'm higher on the edge class than most. But may be better to trade down some to grab one. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm all for picking Slater if he's there at 12. 

Unless the FO is ready to fork up picks to move up for Fields/Lance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Really interested in seeing the numbers for this one and if there are any voidable years. 

All in all, glad we got the best LT back for the rest of his career. 

Don't think voidable years make sense in a 6 year deal since signing bonus spreads over max 5 years.

Guys, on twitter yesterday, I made a suggestion of 6/140.... my suggestion involved super inflated latter years just to make the deal look bigger. But I'm shocked just how spot on I was. I'm sure if you break down Erik Bahktiari's little brother's deal, it doesn't end up paying 23m a year at the end of the deal, and neither will Trent's contract. The fluff is in there, I'm sure. It's a status thing. He has to have the biggest deal on the market. But if the team's offer was 4 years 80-ish million, I still think that's what we'll nearly end up paying. Maybe a 4/80 is designed to eventually pay the player a little less than that, and Trent's team has enforced that Trent will be getting closer to or above 80m over 4 years, but I'd be surprised if he played the sixth year of this deal in its current form. 

33 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Don't think voidable years make sense in a 6 year deal since signing bonus spreads over max 5 years.

Got it, thought maybe the last year or two years could have been voidable.

But spreading out the signing bonus five years means his cap hit for year one should be less than 8M? I think that's what most projected his cap hit to be. 

46 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

THe sixth year makes sense if it's only meant to put Trent's APY above Bakhtiari's 23. What if he actually agreed to 5/100, then they add a sixth year for 38, and bam! You got the highest APY for a LT in league history...

It's probably not exactly that, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Got it, thought maybe the last year or two years could have been voidable.

But spreading out the signing bonus five years means his cap hit for year one should be less than 8M? I think that's what most projected his cap hit to be. 

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

THe sixth year makes sense if it's only meant to put Trent's APY above Bakhtiari's 23. What if he actually agreed to 5/100, then they add a sixth year for 38, and bam! You got the highest APY for a LT in league history...

It's probably not exactly that, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some of that.

Think its actually more like a 3/60 or 4/80 deal when you see the actual numbers. Those last few years are probably mostly fluff but doesn't automatically make them void years. He can say he is the highest paid OL now where in actuality he probably won't be.