Who Dey Gameday? Bengals @ Steelers Week 7 GDT

43M

2 minutes ago, steelcurtain29 said:

Looked to me like he tried to call timeout immediately and was getting ignored...

He attempts to call at 00:07. Refs don't whistle the play dead until 00:03 despite the fact that there is no forward momentum at 00:07.

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont hate the idea of a run in that situation....but the execution and how the Bengals defense was lined up....terrible playcall and stupid of Ben not to change it at the line.  

With that little time on the clock, it doesn't make sense.  

Just now, grubs10 said:

I meant before the stupid run play.

I think that the problem there is Bell has to go in motion before you can audible for a few reasons:

There might not be a set call with the formation the way it was.  Bell in motion can tell you man V zone (which it was man).  Then you have to wait for him to get set.  Unless there's a kill that switches it from a run to a pass with one word it's a tough audible.

2 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

If the Bengals defense was lined up differently, with our time out, it couldve made sense by catching them off guard.....but ultimately, it wasnt necessary.  We were at the 5 yard line.   Unless they were planning on trying to run it from possibly the one yard line on 3rd down (which they wouldnt have done), youre right....it didnt make sense.     But again, if the Bengals were lined up differently, I wouldnt have completely hated it.  

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think that the problem there is Bell has to go in motion before you can audible for a few reasons:

There might not be a set call with the formation the way it was.  Bell in motion can tell you man V zone (which it was man).  Then you have to wait for him to get set.  Unless there's a kill that switches it from a run to a pass with one word it's a tough audible.

Fair enough.  But then my problem is why run a play in that situation that has no other options to adjust to the defense.  We have a veteran QB let him read the defense and give him multiple options

10 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

It made perfect sense. You have the best HB in the NFL. They're playing the pass. A draw is a good play if Bell goes down. Even with Bell refusing to go down the reality is the refs screwed Tomlin on that one. Bell was down with no forward momentum at 00:07. They let him lay there for 4 more seconds before whistling it dead effectively giving no chance at a shot at the endzone which they would've had with 7 seconds on the clock.

2 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Sorry but 7 in the box showing man isn't playing the pass.

They had 8 in the box bro... We're 15 minutes removed from the play but I am sure the LoS was crowded. Wait. Now you got me confused bro. 7 in the box in that situation is certainly playing the pass. The Bengals were certainly concerned about a shotgun pass on that respective snap more than they were a run.

Archived