NE S Patrick Chung retires

Broncofan

55 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Eh. He was a disappointment in his first stint in NE. Even Belichick has said so publicly, though he took the blame for misusing him. He didn't really catch-on until he returned to NE. That is a true statement.

He was a second round pick. Again, what unworldly expectations do you have of draft picks to consider him more of a bust than a hit? 

7 minutes ago, swoosh said:

He was a second round pick. Again, what unworldly expectations do you have of draft picks to consider him more of a bust than a hit? 

The expectation of second rounders is to that they develop into solid starters. Obviously, in the real world teams hit more than they miss. You can use whatever adjectives you'd like to describe his career, but he was an underwhelming starter until his second act in NE when Belichick found a niche for him.

1 minute ago, CKSteeler said:

The expectation of second rounders is to that they develop into solid starters. Obviously, in the real world teams hit more than they miss. You can use whatever adjectives you'd like to describe his career, but he was an underwhelming starter until his second act in NE when Belichick found a niche for him.

How much you willing to throw down on that? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

lol he was named to their All Decade team. I would say that's a great 2nd round pick.

3 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

lol he was named to their All Decade team. I would say that's a great 2nd round pick.

First, I find the notion of a team having their own "all-decade" roster strange. I don't think the Steelers do that, but your basically putting any guy who was there for as long as Chung was on the list. He started most of the decade so he wins by default.

I mean, this is an odd situation. It doesn't happen often where a guy is let go after his first contract with his original team because he was underperforming, but then brought back with more success. But that's what happened here, so as I said people can classify it however they want.

But here's Belichick on the situation:

"For a combination of reasons -- I'd say a big part of it [being] mistakes that I personally made -- it just didn't work out the way that we had hoped it would," Belichick said. "But we got it right the second time."

The Patriots thought enough of Chung to pick him in the second round of the 2009 draft. Deployed mainly as a free safety, he didn't produce as much as they had hoped, so they let him walk as a free agent. He signed a three-year, $10 million contract with the Eagles, reuniting with his coach at Oregon, Chip Kelly.

Chung struggled on the field, never seemed comfortable in the locker room and was cut after only one season. He was a major failure.

"We've been able to utilize him," Belichick said. "I wish we had been able to do that when we initially got him, but it didn't work out that way. Like I said, I think we finally got it right."

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4810947/safety-patrick-chung-one-of-best-mistakes-bill-belichick-ever-made

So, he developed into a player they were happy with, but that was not the story initially. And if Belichick didn't reconsider how he employed him in the first go around, he's likely out of the league after washing out with the Eagles.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

First, I find the notion of a team having their own "all-decade" roster strange. I don't think the Steelers do that, but your basically putting any guy who was there for as long as Chung was on the list. He started most of the decade so he wins by default.

Unless the Pats have different criteria it's a bit like a HoF for just a decade. Longevity will play a factor but if you were a bad player for a long time at a position you won't get chosen over a dude that lit the league on fire for a shorter time.

If a player is good enough not to warrant an upgrade from the team for a decade I'd say they firmly deserve the recognition.