Steelers grant Steven Nelson permission to seek trade

JiffyJag

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

At least they have Ben coming back

There is this weird disillusionment around Steelers fans and the wider media that the Steelers are and will always be a top team

I view the Steelers as a team that generally does the right thing, but my honest opinion is that they are choosing a slow slide into mediocrity as opposed to making hard decisions to make a fix

If I'm younger Steeler, who is hitting FA next year anyway, I would also be interested in essentially hitting FA a year early by being traded and signing an extension somewhere with a better future

Just now, Tk3 said:

There is this weird disillusionment around Steelers fans and the wider media that the Steelers are and will always be a top team

I view the Steelers as a team that generally does the right thing, but my honest opinion is that they are choosing a slow slide into mediocrity as opposed to making hard decisions to make a fix

giphy.gif

Just now, Tk3 said:

If I'm younger Steeler, who is hitting FA next year anyway, I would also be interested in essentially hitting FA a year early by being traded and signing an extension somewhere with a better future

tenor.gif

I'm REALLY trying not to get my hopes up here at the potential changing of the guard...but it's beyond time with the law of averages for that pendulum to swing the other way.

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

Gotta be honest idk what Steeler fans you've been talking to but the ones I know, myself included, know that the Steelers last year played (at times) like a top team and were capable of being one but that a top team isn't who they are now. Pittsburgh has a history of being well managed and winning football games. The Browns have finally found a way to improve and the Steelers have hung onto Ben far too long. There is some serious soul searching that needs to be done in that FO because the gig is up.

Having said that, if the Steelers can find that future QB, the decline can be short lived. 

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

???

This is completely false, at least in regards to Steelers fans.

Most are overly critical of the team and act like the sky is falling even when it isnt.

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

I actually completely agree with this.

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

This isnt college football where most of the blue chip recruits pile into the same 5 or 6 teams.

Top players still sign with middling teams.   

You arent wrong that the Steelers are not in the best position right now, but they are pretty widely known as being a team that bounces back.   Even if we were a bottom 10 team, we would still be a more appealing destination than at least half the other teams in this league....at least in regards to players wanting to play for contenders. 

This team still has a fair amount of talent, especially on defense.   The offense needs work and need depth on defense, but every team needs work.  Its still a generally well run team....just not as well as it used to be.

31 minutes ago, 43M said:
3 hours ago, Tk3 said:

???

This is completely false, at least in regards to Steelers fans.

Most are overly critical of the team and act like the sky is falling even when it isnt.

I think most fan bases are about the same. I also believe what you say is true when it is Steelers fans talking amongst themselves, especially the diehards. The fans that argue with other fans are a bit different, as with all fan bases and those are the ones most people refer to or even associate as "that team's" fans. Also a lot of unknowledgable fans like to talk smack without even knowing what they are talking about but that doesn't happen much on this site. It isn't fair but it's the way it is. I imagine most Philadelphia fans are reasonable but the loud (obnoxious) ones give them their identity.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think most fan bases are about the same. I also believe what you say is true when it is Steelers fans talking amongst themselves, especially the diehards. The fans that argue with other fans are a bit different, as with all fan bases and those are the ones most people refer to or even associate as "that team's" fans. Also a lot of unknowledgable fans like to talk smack without even knowing what they are talking about but that doesn't happen much on this site. It isn't fair but it's the way it is. I imagine most Philadelphia fans are reasonable but the loud (obnoxious) ones give them their identity.

I think that's 100% true. There's some Browns, Bengals, and Ravens fans here on this site I do have a lot of respect for, yourself included. That can come to the table and put recency bias aside and have a productive discussion about each other's teams. Real fans can also admit when a team just isn't what it once was (such as Pittsburgh right now).

Then, as you said, you have the casual fans or the passionate but oblivious fans that make all the noise. Like you said, they, sadly, set the tone most of the time for fan bases.

• Like 1