If the Packers struggle without Rodgers, is it an indictment on Ted Thompson?

RoellPreston88

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

My gosh there are still people defending McMillian?

That's defending him?  Saying anything positive about any player is defending him?  You might want to adjust your opinion of what "defending" means.

4 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Benjamin is set to make $8.5 million next season on his 5th year option, or needs to be extended.  Jordy Nelson has a cap hit of $12.5 million (2.3 if you get rid of him), and Cobb has a cap hit of 12.7 million (3.2 if you get rid of him) AND they'll want to re-sign Davante Adams.  That is a lot of money for WRs.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/kelvin-benjamin-14437/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/jordy-nelson-4999/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/randall-cobb-7783/

And we would be trying this when Rodgers is out for the season?

You can never have too many good players. I would  be letting Cobb go too. Wondering if he is worth that amount in trade in the first place. 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's defending him?  Saying anything positive about any player is defending him?  You might want to adjust your opinion of what "defending" means.

Well thanks for letting me know what others meant by their posts. Good to know no one on this board is defending McMillian's play or the decision to draft him.

As far as "saying anything positive" about McMillian, which apparently is not defending him, the guy was a complete bust. He was given every opportunity to start at safety in 2013 (his second year) and was so God awful he was cut halfway through the season.

He then never played in the NFL again. I guess I'm just not as up on all of McMillian's POSITIVES during his time in Green Bay as some others.

If we are going to go on about Jerron McMillian's "positive" contribution to the Packers, perhaps we should also acknowledge all of Khyri Thornton and Jerrel Worthy POSITIVES. After all, while they completely washed out in GB just like McMllian, they have at least found homes elsewhere in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Well thanks for letting me know what others meant by their posts. Good to know no one on this board is defending McMillian's play or the decision to draft him.

As far as "saying anything positive" about McMillian, which apparently is not defending him, the guy was a complete bust. He was given every opportunity to start at safety in 2013 (his second year) and was so God awful he was cut halfway through the season.

He then never played in the NFL again. I guess I'm just not as up on all of McMillian's POSITIVES during his time in Green Bay as some others.

If we are going to go on about Jerron McMillian's "positive" contribution to the Packers, perhaps we should also acknowledge all of Khyri Thornton and Jerrel Worthy POSITIVES. After all, while they completely washed out in GB just like McMllian, they have at least found homes elsewhere in the NFL.

So you're allowed to make inferences from what others mean, but I can't?  That makes total sense.

You're literally making a big deal out of nothing.  Someone said something along the lines of him being a decent ST player, and you made the claim that someone was defending him.  It's like you want to be that guy who calls everyone out.  You want to know why Thornton and Worthy have stuck around?  I'll give you a hint, it's got nothing to do with their level of play.

I liked the Jerron McMillian pick.  He was a good athlete and they took a chance at a need position in the fourth round.  It didn't work out, and he was worse than MD.  It happens.  Just like the Seahawks have tried to fix their OL and failed.  And their TE as well, they traded for superstar Jimmy Graham and he fell completely off the map.

5 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I liked the Jerron McMillian pick.  He was a good athlete and they took a chance at a need position in the fourth round.  It didn't work out, and he was worse than MD.  It happens.  Just like the Seahawks have tried to fix their OL and failed.  And their TE as well, they traded for superstar Jimmy Graham and he fell completely off the map.

Very much this.  The Packers gambled and took an athletic, small school S and it didn't work out.  At the end of the day, the pick didn't set the franchise back, and if McMillian went to a bigger school we're probably talking about a player who went in the first 64 picks.  No harm, no foul.

19 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

He was let go during the middle of his second season in favor of the horrible M.D. Jennings because he was historically bad. 

And McMillian was let go just 6 months after Ted Thompson gave him his personal vote of confidence by declaring "I'm confident in those young men (in reference to McMillian & Jennings)" when explaining why he ignored the safety position in the 2013 draft. He was that awful.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165055/article/green-bay-packers-ignore-safeties-in-2013-nfl-draft  

The decision to select McMillian in the 4th round in 2012 was a mistake. The decision to count on him to play significant snaps at safety in 2013 was an even bigger mistake.

"A personnel director for an NFL team said Jack Cosgrove, the longtime coach of the Black Bears, told him that Trevor Coston, Maine's other senior safety, was as good as McMillian. Coston signed as a free agent with Chicago and was cut, then went to camp with Detroit this year and was cut again.

Nolan Nawrocki, the hard-working, plugged-in draft analyst for Pro Football Weekly, ranked McMillian in a three-way tie for 27th place among safeties and graded him as a priority free agent.

In the month leading up to the draft, I asked 20 personnel men with national orientation to rank their favorite safeties on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis. The class of 2011 safeties was regarded as the worst in two decades, and the '12 batch was weak as well.

The votes were all over the landscape, and 19 different safeties gained at least one vote.

Nobody even mentioned McMillian".

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-jerron-mcmillian-was-wrong-pick-from-beginning-b99157863z1-234923911.html/

Who's "defending" McMillian? Lol

20 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

He was let go during the middle of his second season in favor of the horrible M.D. Jennings because he was historically bad. 

And McMillian was let go just 6 months after Ted Thompson gave him his personal vote of confidence by declaring "I'm confident in those young men (in reference to McMillian & Jennings)" when explaining why he ignored the safety position in the 2013 draft. He was that awful.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165055/article/green-bay-packers-ignore-safeties-in-2013-nfl-draft  

The decision to select McMillian in the 4th round in 2012 was a mistake. The decision to count on him to play significant snaps at safety in 2013 was an even bigger mistake.

"A personnel director for an NFL team said Jack Cosgrove, the longtime coach of the Black Bears, told him that Trevor Coston, Maine's other senior safety, was as good as McMillian. Coston signed as a free agent with Chicago and was cut, then went to camp with Detroit this year and was cut again.

Nolan Nawrocki, the hard-working, plugged-in draft analyst for Pro Football Weekly, ranked McMillian in a three-way tie for 27th place among safeties and graded him as a priority free agent.

In the month leading up to the draft, I asked 20 personnel men with national orientation to rank their favorite safeties on a 1-2-3-4-5 basis. The class of 2011 safeties was regarded as the worst in two decades, and the '12 batch was weak as well.

The votes were all over the landscape, and 19 different safeties gained at least one vote.

Nobody even mentioned McMillian".

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-jerron-mcmillian-was-wrong-pick-from-beginning-b99157863z1-234923911.html/

Nobody defended him. Someone said Collins was this great athlete you HAD to stick with and they were saying he was a high end athlete too, and he was.

25 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Who's "defending" McMillian? Lol

Apparently, I got it wrong.

There was a discussion among some posters that some Packer fans have not properly acknowledged all of the "POSITIVES" McMillian brought to the Packers during his time in Green Bay and I somehow misinterpreted it as those posters defending McMillian.

22 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Admittedly my memory is incredibly hazy, but IIRC he got beaten badly for most of his first three years.  Maybe it was just being tough critics, but it really wasn't until Year 4 that the Packers knew they had something in him.  Paired with a strong 2009 and 2010 season and the future was incredibly bright on him.  The point I was trying to illustrate was that if you yank a player to early, and they go on to have a good career elsewhere then you hear that the player didn't get an opportunity to play in Green Bay, and if they play too long than they held onto the player for far too long.  It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It's a situational thing. The Packers had the luxury of waiting on Collins, as they were rebuilding during his early career. They were well past that when it came time for MDJ and JM. 

Secondly, Collins showed a lot of flashes immediately. So it would make sense to wait and see if he could become more consistent and learn to catch. 

I never saw anything to warrant such faith from MDJ (should've been credited a win for the Fail Mary though) or JM. 

So given that they were inferior players from day 1, and the Packers couldn't afford to wait, the right decision would've been to move on quickly. 

It's rare that players who flash nothing at all will eventually become something. How many examples of that are there?

Imagine if we drafted Harrison Smith...

2 hours ago, th87 said:

It's a situational thing. The Packers had the luxury of waiting on Collins, as they were rebuilding during his early career. They were well past that when it came time for MDJ and JM. 

Secondly, Collins showed a lot of flashes immediately. So it would make sense to wait and see if he could become more consistent and learn to catch. 

I never saw anything to warrant such faith from MDJ (should've been credited a win for the Fail Mary though) or JM. 

So given that they were inferior players from day 1, and the Packers couldn't afford to wait, the right decision would've been to move on quickly. 

It's rare that players who flash nothing at all will eventually become something. How many examples of that are there?

Imagine if we drafted Harrison Smith...

My issue is that every team starts guys that at times. You just don't pay attention to every team or care enough to notice.

10 minutes ago, RoellPreston88 said:

A response like this usually happens when a man has no arguments left. 

You're a fool if you think what you said means what you think it does. He didn't get any extra money that he wouldn't have if he was just signed once. 

You're talking like we gave him twice him the money because we got signed and cut twice.

Is that what you think happened?

Trust me, I can review rebut any of your arguments. That doesn't mean they don't make me laugh sometimes.

Archived