If the Packers struggle without Rodgers, is it an indictment on Ted Thompson?

RoellPreston88

24 minutes ago, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

"The guy we built our entire offense around and the best player in the NFL is out for the year. Should we blame the GM if his backup doesn't fit into that role without a hiccup?" 

O.o

This is exactly how I feel when I read posts like the OP. Or when other team’s fans say we won with our backup but they went from a sub par QB to another sub par QB. It’s not quite the same drop off as losing one of the best. 

29 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

No way we were winning in 2011. That was about as good as passing attacks get but we had zero run game and couldnt stop the run either.

2014 though..... damn you Bostick... damn you.

We would have made it to the Super Bowl in 2011 if we got past the Giants. SF wasn't beating us in GB with Alex Smith. Now, beating NE in the Super Bowl would have been tough, but at least we would have gotten to the show. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

We would have made it to the Super Bowl in 2011 if we got past the Giants. SF wasn't beating us in GB with Alex Smith. Now, beating NE in the Super Bowl would have been tough, but at least we would have gotten to the show. 

Yeah, but we got smoked by the Giants.. in every aspect.

2 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I've never seen that play. Or the two point. And I never want to.

Seriously? LOL

Lucky you. In my dying days even if I have the misfortune of being strucken with Alzheimers... Brandon Bostick will be a name I will remember forever. 

3 hours ago, RoellPreston88 said:

Is Rodgers' injury an indictment on Ted Thompson? 

Quarterback play has covered up the talent deficiencies on the rest of the team for many years....many, many years.  But a HOF QB means a playoff appearance every single year, regardless of these deficiencies. Now, he could not have seen this coming. But perhaps if Ted had gone and fixed the defense in any year between 2011-2013, 2015 and 2016, perhaps we would have won the Super Bowl one of those years. We certainly had the offense to do it. Instead, we only made the NFCCG once. No one is asking for a Top 5 defense. With this offense, all we needed with a Top 15 defense. But it can't even be average. It's actually terrible. 

This team was a 10-12 win team with Rodgers, because of all the deficiencies he covers up. Without Rodgers? Realistically I can't see another win on the schedule. But if you think that heads will roll because of this, you're wrong. An injured Rodgers is simply a free pass for them. In fact, the only way that any of their jobs would ever be in jeopardy is if the Packers missed the playoffs consecutive years WITH a healthy Rodgers. Of course, that's just not gonna happen, so its rinse and repeat until Rodgers retires... If there's any downside to not having a real owner, it's this.

This injury shows why fans wanted Ted to go all in every year, because we won't be with the best QB maybe ever, forever. And now we are about to see how good (or in my opinion bad) this team really is.

The bolded isn't even true

1 hour ago, packerrfan74 said:

Seriously? LOL

Lucky you. In my dying days even if I have the misfortune of being strucken with Alzheimers... Brandon Bostick will be a name I will remember forever. 

Long story short I'm at a golf course and every time I go to smoke they turn the ball over. Every time. So it becomes this game where they go this is crucial go outside. So I missed both. Then I refused to watch ESPN for weeks. I've seen it start to play and I look away

It's amazing I've never done it on accident so far. But yeah totally true. I was in my car before the TD ball hit the hands to win the game it felt like. But someone had pulled my keys lol. Which was good.

4 hours ago, RoellPreston88 said:

This injury shows why fans wanted Ted to go all in every year, because we won't be with the best QB maybe ever, forever. And now we are about to see how good (or in my opinion bad) this team really is.

And going all-in "every year" is when the Packers are in salary cap hell and contenders for only part of Rodgers' career rather than most of it.  Are you willing to slightly increase your chances of winning knowing full well that there will be seasons where you won't be real contenders?

6 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Drew Brees is first ballot.

And our fans used to want their coach.

The Packers are tied for the second longest playoff streak at 8 straight seasons since the playoffs expanded to 12 teams in 1990.

By my count there are 9 QBs currently enshrined in Canton who played during that time. Not counting the ones recently retired and still active.

Packers under TT and Rodgers have had more success getting to the playoffs then all of them besides Manning's 9 straight. 

40 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And going all-in "every year" is when the Packers are in salary cap hell and contenders for only part of Rodgers' career rather than most of it.  Are you willing to slightly increase your chances of winning knowing full well that there will be seasons where you won't be real contenders?

I see this rebuttal often, but the Patriots seem to tinker and add new FAs and fresh faces every year, they don't appear to be in cap hell.

32 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

The Packers are tied for the second longest playoff streak at 8 straight seasons since the playoffs expanded to 12 teams in 1990.

By my count there are 9 QBs currently enshrined in Canton who played during that time. Not counting the ones recently retired and still active.

Packers under TT and Rodgers have had more success getting to the playoffs then all of them besides Manning's 9 straight. 

If the goal is making the playoffs for the most consecutive seasons it cannot possibly be disputed that the Packers under Ted Thompson have been as successful as any team in the NFL including the Colts with Manning and the Pats with Brady (NE has also been to the playoffs the last 8 seasons).

Of course, under this standard, the Cincinnati Bengals and coach Marvin Lewis have also been a highly successful franchise given their 6 appearances in 7 years (including 5 in a row) between 2009 and 2015.

6 minutes ago, RoellPreston88 said:

I see this rebuttal often, but the Patriots seem to tinker and add new FAs and fresh faces every year, they don't appear to be in cap hell.

And I hear this same comment everytime someone tries to counter that comment.  Why are the New England Patriots (the model franchise in the NFL) the rebuttal?  How many teams have tried to replicate New England's success and fail miserably?  Too many to count.

EDIT: Packers fans would have lost their minds if the Packers traded players of the same caliber as Jaime Collins or any of the other vets they've traded over the years.

11 minutes ago, RoellPreston88 said:

Patriots also went like 10 years between Brady's 3rd and 4th Super Bowl. Sure they went to 2 within that time frame but still.

Plus New England had a favorable schedule year in and year out. Outside of the early Jets Rex Ryan years when has any division rival changed them... really? The New England model is a funny thing to reference if you look at everything.

They also have had 2 major cheating scandals as well.

Archived