Andre James signed to extension

oakdb36

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Smartest guys in the world if it works. If it doesn’t then they look like the Raiders. 

But for them to have this much faith in the guy means he showed out in partice now just have to see it on game day 

^Best way to put it. They better be right.

Edited by Jeremy408

13 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Cable has also been the only coach to show he can coach these guys up(TE coach as well but he left) His biggest fail and only fail with the Raiders has been Parker and hey can’t always hit a home run. 

Even if he looks like an All-Pro in practice and you have faith in Cable, why give him the extension now? When you can wait until the season is in progress, see how he looks in a full time starting role, and then make the decision. 

The Raiders weren't planning on James being a starter or the future at C until last week because Rodney Hudson asked to be let go. 

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah I don’t like this because it should have added years into his next 2 cheap years. But if he ends up playing well I won’t care.

From the practice squad to the 18th highest paid C in the league in a week. God bless his agent. 

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

So what happens if Martin beats him out at Center? We have an expensive back up lineman? Can't say Im in favor of it but I guess they are trying to get ahead of the market. 

this means that James is on a scholarship and will be the starter whether he wins or not. just like maliek collins last year, or Jason Witten at #2 TE

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He better be worth the hype or I’m gonna lose a lot of faith in this FO to develop players.

The timing just makes zero sense. We waited with Waller and signed him to a 3 yr/$27M deal after we saw how good he was in actual games. Was there really going to be a huge market for James? He literally was on our practice squad for a good chunk of the last two seasons and could've been pouched by any team in the league during that time. Even if he looks like an All-Pro the first 5-6 weeks we likely would've been able to sign him on a similar deal, he was only set to make $800k this year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The timing just makes zero sense. We waited with Waller and signed him to a 3 yr/$27M deal after we saw how good he was in actual games. Was there really going to be a huge market for James? He literally was on our practice squad for a good chunk of the last two seasons and could've been pouched by any team in the league during that time. Even if he looks like an All-Pro the first 5-6 weeks we likely would've been able to sign him on a similar deal, he was only set to make $800k this year. 

Maybe it’s some reverse psychology to make him play well? Lmao

Ok, I usually try and be optimistic, and I have been adamant about seeing the clear vision the front office has for the offense, but I am not a fan of this move. 

It clearly shows the staff is very high on James and believe he's our long term center, and to a point I can understand wanting to lock up a guy you believe in to a deal a little early to save some money over the bigger payday if the guy balls out, but I feel like that has to be a move reserved for guys that have at least played some in actual NFL games. If James had even played in 5 or 6 games last season and played great and looked dominant in practice I could see it more. 

But he hasn't played at all really. You can only put so much belief in practice settings. I sort of understand the logic, but with his salary being so low this year and him being a RFA next off season I think I would have let it play out and see how he does this season, give him the tender, and then work towards an extension. I get you believe the guy is going to justify it and you'll end up saving some cash, but I would not be banking on practice only and pay prematurely just to save some money when he needs an extension. I also don't love the idea of paying someone handsomely before they ever produce in a game setting because it has the potential to send the wrong message about competition and the best man earning the job. What if Martin as a long term NFL starter is actually the better player than the young, totally inexperienced young guy? Is Gruden actually going to admit his mistake and let Martin start? I have serious doubts. He won't want to look like a fool, and the team could end up paying the price and being worse because Gruden needs to give him the opportunity to prove he made a genius move signing James super early. 

Ultimately if he plays great this year Gruden and Mayock will get a ton of praise and be called geniuses, much like their finding of Waller, but if he plays poorly? This looks absolutely foolish. And they'll get justifiably killed. Just seems like an unnecessary risk to save some money MAYBE in a year or two. All that said, they better be right. James doesn't need to be Waller levels of good, but to trade Hudson and extend him before logging a start he needs to be at least in the top half of starting NFL centers. 

4 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Maybe it’s some reverse psychology to make him play well? Lmao

Or Gruden/Mayock trying to look like they had a plan and Hudson wasn't a big loss. If James is making $8M like suggested above and we're paying Hudson $13M in dead cap, we have $21M invested into the C position in 2021 with a guy who has played 100 snaps.