Andre James signed to extension

oakdb36

Color me intrigued by what the Raiders must see. 

However this whole thing seems contradictory. If they had done this soon after hudson was released we all would have been saying, well, ok then I get it. But to say this is a sign about how much they believe in him.... Then why did they go out and sign Nick Martin? I haven't checked average salaries, but I wonder what's normal for a backup center to get and how many teams have dedicated backup centers.

• Like 1

Just now, NickButera said:

Color me intrigued by what the Raiders must see. 

However this whole thing seems contradictory. If they had done this soon after hudson was released we all would have been saying, well, ok then I get it. But to say this is a sign about how much they believe in him.... Then why did they go out and sign Nick Martin? I haven't checked average salaries, but I wonder what's normal for a backup center to get and how many teams have dedicated backup centers.

That's the sad part we're probably going to be paying James/Hudson a combined $21M while Nick Martin starts at C. 

16 hours ago, Turnobili said:

my problem is that even if James was good, we could have locked him in with a 2nd round tender for 2022. is it really so important to lock him up for 2023 before we've seen him play at anything more than mediocre?

I said the same thing in another thread.  This is a moronic move unless..

1) it’s really a 3yr extension meaning ‘22, ‘23, ‘24 and he’s going to get paid: 3.6M (approx 2nd round tender next year), 4.0M, 4.9M .... but even then why are we guaranteeing 1/2 the deal now? 
2) he’s a top 10 C in the NFL immediately.... and even then why are you extending a 2nd year UDFA after 118 snaps and then 0 when you still Have him under control For 2 years at .85M and 3.6M.  Are we so afraid that after 4,6,8,16 weeks the guys going to show out so we’ll he’ll command top 5-8 center money (12.5-10M)....

because the only way it’s worth is if he’d absolutely positively without any uncertainty gonna cost us 12M in ‘23. If you can get a guy for 8 vs 12 it’s worth it. 

But I highly doubt that !!  Stupid move (unless the numbers are very misleading)

• 2 weeks later...

So the actual contract extension was released:

‘21: was 850k // now 2.5m

’22: was rfa-2nd Rd tender would This year was 3.384m so will prolly be 3.6M next year // 1.9m salary +1.5M roster bonus + 100k (workout bonus, maybe?) = 3.5M

’23: was UFA // now 3.4m salary and 100k workout bonus?= 3.5m 

So we basically added only 3.5M and 1.65m (2.5M-.85m) to his deal.  

if we would have signed him next year for 5.15m in 2023 no one would care.  I was pissed because it was initially said to be 3y, 12.5M.

53 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

So the actual contract extension was released:

‘21: was 850k // now 2.5m

’22: was rfa-2nd Rd tender would This year was 3.384m so will prolly be 3.6M next year // 1.9m salary +1.5M roster bonus + 100k (workout bonus, maybe?) = 3.5M

’23: was UFA // now 3.4m salary and 100k workout bonus?= 3.5m 

So we basically added only 3.5M and 1.65m (2.5M-.85m) to his deal.  

if we would have signed him next year for 5.15m in 2023 no one would care.  I was pissed because it was initially said to be 3y, 12.5M.

So another words, he didn’t  really get paid anything

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

I guess there are incentives to get to the reported 12.5M. The base value listed on overthecap is far from that.

yeah probably something like start all games + make pro-bowl, maybe team makes playoffs, stuff like that.

On 3/22/2021 at 2:56 PM, big_palooka said:

Who cares? There was zero reason to extend him. None. It's bad business no matter the contract. You control him for 2 years. Let him earn it first.

I’ve said the same thing.  He’s a UDFA that played in “3” games... 75,40,1 snaps two years ago and 0 snaps last year.... and he has all of this year before becoming a RFA.  He was under control for 2 years when we extended him.  It’s really a mind boggling thing to do.

it’s horrible business for so many reasons.... also because it sets a bad example for other players.... do we give every M.Bryant “White Tiger” practice performer a new deal?  What about Javin White?  Give him 3y, 10M?  Ridiculous!

I could have stomached the extension was structured so that his ‘21 salary stayed 850k and next year he got the minimum salary and a day 3 of the league year Roster Bonus, which functioned like a Option Bonus to activate the extension, and the two amounts totaled the 3.6M a 2nd round tender would have cost.  Plus a modest 3-4M unon-guarenteed ‘23 salary..... but that’s not the case at all.

while the extension is no where near the reported 3y, 12M extension (remember he was on books already for 850k and a 2nd round tender would have cost 3.6M.... so the new/“added year” would have been At a rate of 7.55M... but spread over all 3 years)..... but I still don’t like it.  In essence the we gave him a 1.65M raise this year .... before he’s done anything on the field, tendered him at the 2nd round grade, and gave him a 1 year actual extension for 3.5M. 

Fundamentally this extension can’t ever, no matter how it plays out make sense. If he’s as good as the team thinks why didn’t you extend him longer than 1 year?  If he’s not that good and Martin starts (which is a real possibility at some point in the season... I think they give James the job initially out of pressure) then you just paid a backup UDFA 1.65m extra to do nothing.

• Like 2

As you wrote, we added 1.6 this year and 3.5 in year 3. With probably an easy way out before year 3 if he doesnt pan out. 

I think it's an ok deal, we get him 1 year extra for  backup/fringe starter money in year 3.  Even Feliciano who really was a backup/fringe starter for us got 4 mio a year from the Bills 2-3 years ago. And imo i would be surprised if the FO doesnt believe he at least will turn into a Feliciano for us.

8 minutes ago, Roninho said:

As you wrote, we added 1.6 this year and 3.5 in year 3. With probably an easy way out before year 3 if he doesnt pan out. 

I think it's an ok deal, we get him 1 year extra for  backup/fringe starter money in year 3.  Even Feliciano who really was a backup/fringe starter for us got 4 mio a year from the Bills 2-3 years ago. And imo i would be surprised if the FO doesnt believe he at least will turn into a Feliciano for us.

That is very true.  Paying 5.whatever million for an extra year isn’t a big deal at all.  Basically we paid 1.65M for an insurance policy that looks him up for the first year of his UFA.  

but what I think upsets most people is the lack of need to do so.  We had 2 years left of contract and RFA.... we could have gotten the Same deal 6-10 games into the season, pushed the cost on the cap into next year, and actually seen this UDFA in game action.  He might not even beat out Martin, Martin is a very old starter.  Although i think he’ll start even if he doesn’t actually win the job thru better play.

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

That is very true.  Paying 5.whatever million for an extra year isn’t a big deal at all.  Basically we paid 1.65M for an insurance policy that looks him up for the first year of his UFA.  

but what I think upsets most people is the lack of need to do so.  We had 2 years left of contract and RFA.... we could have gotten the Same deal 6-10 games into the season, pushed the cost on the cap into next year, and actually seen this UDFA in game action.  He might not even beat out Martin, Martin is a very old starter.  Although i think he’ll start even if he doesn’t actually win the job thru better play.

Yeah i understand. Lets hope he pans out tgen we got a good deal in the end