Andre James signed to extension

oakdb36

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Or Gruden/Mayock trying to look like they had a plan and Hudson wasn't a big loss. If James is making $8M like suggested above and we're paying Hudson $13M in dead cap, we have $21M invested into the C position in 2021 with a guy who has played 100 snaps. 

Yeah I'm joking. It's honestly idiotic to give him the $ right now. Hopefully he earns it, but this seems pretty damn optimistic unless he comes in and lights the room on fire.

13 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah I'm joking. It's honestly idiotic to give him the $ right now. Hopefully he earns it, but this seems pretty damn optimistic unless he comes in and lights the room on fire.

my question is, let's say he does play good and plays at about average starter level (about as good as we can hope for)... we'd be able to lock him in with a 2nd round tender. i dont think another team would give up a 2nd round pick for him. we just unnecessarily gave him a raise for 2021, paying him basically what a 2nd round tender would have been in 2022 (while committing to that about a year early)... all for the grand prize of having him theoretically cost controlled in 2023

Edited by Turnobili

Just now, Turnobili said:

my question is, let's say he does play good and plays at about average starter level (about as good as we can hope for)... we'd be able to lock him in with a 2nd round tender. i dont think another team would give up a 2nd round pick for him

Yeah agree. I guess this spreads out the hit, but i'd rather just pay him IF he plays well.

1 minute ago, Turnobili said:

my question is, let's say he does play good and plays at about average starter level (about as good as we can hope for)... we'd be able to lock him in with a 2nd round tender. i dont think another team would give up a 2nd round pick for him. we just unnecessarily gave him a raise for 2021, paying him basically what a 2nd round tender would have been in 2022 (while committing to that about a year early)... all for the grand prize of having him theoretically cost controlled in 2023

Any team in the league could've signed him off of our practice squad during the last two years.

Just now, Turnobili said:

that too. i've been pretty vocal since the Hudson trade that I don't think James is a good player at all.

If he's really making $8M next season he'll be the 13th highest paid C in the league in 2021. And we'll have $21M allocated to the C position with Hudson's $13M in dead cap. Aaron Donald has a $22.5M cap hit, Chris Jones has a $20M cap hit, and Jalen Ramsey has a $20M cap hit in 2021. Great work by Grudock. 

6 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

It's 6M guaranteed so we'll have to wait for the contract breakdown.

This team man. They can't operate like a normal franchise can they. No way to justify this move. Breaking off a backup practice squad player because "you like him" before he's actually earned anything. 

When do they every look smart with these moves? Even if he's a breakout player (which hopefully he is) there is no smart business sense in making this move before he's seasoned in the league. 

Feels like a Gruden ego move. Instead of letting James prove himself on the field, had to pay him post trading off Hudson/Jackson for "reasons" 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He wasn't getting an extension or seen as the long term solution at C until literally 5 days ago, lol. 

Oh i agree. Just think it works both ways if we say our fo cant judge a guy who only played 100 snaps, how can we at the same time say he isnt going to work out.