Andre James signed to extension

oakdb36

23 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I know it's an oft-overused cliché, but he genuinely couldn't be worse than James.

Yeah because my thinking is he actually played center in college. Because it seems like Andre James’ issue is that he’s new to the basic center things. I can’t imagine Morrissey having ball snapping issues

he’s also like 25 pounds heavier

Edited by Jeremy408

On 3/22/2021 at 2:35 PM, Turnobili said:

my question is, let's say he does play good and plays at about average starter level (about as good as we can hope for)... we'd be able to lock him in with a 2nd round tender. i dont think another team would give up a 2nd round pick for him. we just unnecessarily gave him a raise for 2021, paying him basically what a 2nd round tender would have been in 2022 (while committing to that about a year early)... all for the grand prize of having him theoretically cost controlled in 2023

He probably won't be in the league in 2023. This extension made no sense. 

33 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

He probably won't be in the league in 2023. This extension made no sense. 

A key component of the extension is that we could move on from them after this year so I doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. My thing is they just have to have enough humility to bench him after the bye week if he doesn’t get any better, Play the more experienced guy to get us through the year, draft someone and then have them battle Morrissey for the job next year

Edited by Jeremy408

On 9/27/2021 at 1:16 PM, Mr Raider said:

You know it's bad when the scouting report on your starting center goes something like...

PROS

Is a healthy body. 

Probably a nice guy. 

CONS

Can't pass block

Can't run block

Can't reliably get the shotgun snap to the QB with any degree of regularity. 

Is small even for the position. Yet has considerably less functional athleticism for centers around the league.

Is somehow both overpaid on an extension and yet woefully inexperienced. 

Nothing to say he's exceptional at calling out blocking assignments. 

Haha, great post............sadly 😂

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

A key component of the extension is that we could move on from them after this year so I doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. My thing is they just have to have enough humility to bench him after the bye week if he doesn’t get any better, Play the more experienced guy to get us through the year, draft someone and then have them battle Morrissey for the job next year

Quite, and a key thing is that his play is not an isolated thing, his play directly impacts our most crucial player and puts him at risk so it's not like a RB struggling to see the holes or fumbling, if his snaps are awry then we're putting Carr at the mercy of onrushing DTs and DEs and directly increasing the chance of injury for Carr if, say, one of those 300lb behemoths falls on his ribs whilst trying to corrall an errant snap.

It's ok to persevere at times with a young, inexperienced guy but now is not the time I feel and I wouldn't take the chance with how it could drastically impact the team should something happen to the QB.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I know it's not looking good for him but he's probably the only 1 that can do all the right calls at the line. 

The Raiders have been blitzed a lot and making team pay for it.

I think that's more on Carr though and his reading of the blitzes. We've had our guards missing blitz pick ups a few times and maybe that's the same issue, maybe unrelated but who knows. Carr has always been underrated when he's getting pressured by a blitz. I would think a more experienced vet like Martin should be better in that regard than James.

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Quite, and a key thing is that his play is not an isolated thing, his play directly impacts our most crucial player and puts him at risk so it's not like a RB struggling to see the holes or fumbling, if his snaps are awry then we're putting Carr at the mercy of onrushing DTs and DEs and directly increasing the chance of injury for Carr if, say, one of those 300lb behemoths falls on his ribs whilst trying to corrall an errant snap.

It's ok to persevere at times with a young, inexperienced guy but now is not the time I feel and I wouldn't take the chance with how it could drastically impact the team should something happen to the QB.

I was talking about in terms of the money(that’s what I thought The conversation was about). 

if we’re talking about strictly his play, the thing that actually stands out to me is his lack of ability to move anyone in the run game due to his lack of play strength. this is key because I felt that  A key reason why you move on from Rodney Hudson is because you think that this guy may be better at run blocking. Unfortunately as it stands right now, they look like they’re about the same and run blocking TBH.

I don’t think his Pass blocking it’s as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I’ve actually seen his pass protection stand out positively among the oline a few times. 

I feel like eventually the snap thing won’t be a problem after a while(not that it’s OK that is a problem now LOL)

Edited by Jeremy408

On 9/27/2021 at 5:46 AM, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

His replacement (homer, I know):  

Meh he had some wins n losses vs iowa st. Doesn’t have that squat I like looks like a guard playing center. It was only one game but I was 50/50 on him. Will watch more tho