One way to address the declining TV ratings

pf9

On 10/20/2017 at 12:40 AM, Iamcanadian said:

The NFL needs to get off the Fox Network, I will not watch a game on Fox who warps their news to favour Trump.

The NFL has been on Fox forever. Fox also pretty much has the best coverage of NFL games. The NFL is not going to leave Fox. 

This has been mentioned already, but I wish coverage and media throughout the week discussed more football. I hate that player news - whether political, personal, or other - completely outshines actual football relevant stories. I also hate 98% of the analysts that work on most of these stations (ESPN, NFLN especially) because I feel like I’m watching 5 guys hangout on a Friday night with pizza and booze.  

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Mossburg said:

How do these compare to previous years (especially before the crazy peak of a couple seasons ago)? I'd still have guessed these numbers to be true if I was asked true or false despite the declines.

No idea, but I'd say the relative change is more relevant than any absolute change, especially when it comes to describing the preferences of a group.

They'll be streaming next year IIRC.. Just hope the quality is just as good as the free ones.

Or have options like to watch games on Youtube on mobile with split screen. Let you pick 2-3 games each time zone.

at like 5$ a month.. Supreme and crytal clear HD.

I agree with the idea of expanding the playoffs. It should be the top 2 teams in each division playing a division championship game which would make the first round of the playoffs ridiculously entertaining with 8 division rivals battling for the division title on what is now wildcard weekend but that won't fix the ratings.

Some things that could help with the ratings:

1) Doubleheaders on both channels every Sunday (more options for fans)

2) Not limiting Sunday Ticket to DirectTV, make it more widely available, couple this with a la carte purchases for games so if someone doesn't like the free options they could 'rent' another game that week

3) Simplify the rulebook so that the officiating (and rules in general) don't make the game unwatchable. I actually think this is the biggest factor. Its why I rarely watch games that don't involve Seattle. The game is simply unwatchable at times. 

19 minutes ago, youngosu said:

I agree with the idea of expanding the playoffs. It should be the top 2 teams in each division playing a division championship game which would make the first round of the playoffs ridiculously entertaining with 8 division rivals battling for the division title on what is now wildcard weekend but that won't fix the ratings.

Some things that could help with the ratings:

1) Doubleheaders on both channels every Sunday (more options for fans)

2) Not limiting Sunday Ticket to DirectTV, make it more widely available, couple this with a la carte purchases for games so if someone doesn't like the free options they could 'rent' another game that week

3) Simplify the rulebook so that the officiating (and rules in general) don't make the game unwatchable. I actually think this is the biggest factor. Its why I rarely watch games that don't involve Seattle. The game is simply unwatchable at times. 

All terrible ideas.. 

3 minutes ago, El ramster said:

All terrible ideas.. 

While with that great logic you've convinced me. 

That said, don't know how anyone with a working brain who has actually watched a recent NFL game could think simplifying the rulebook is a terrible idea but to each their own. Maybe watching officials is why you watch football. Its possible I guess. 

The same guy that is the OP of this thread started another one this week claiming that the lack of expanded playoffs is why the Browns are terrible (if they'd made it as a 7th seed in 2007 they'd have gone onwards and upwards from there apparently O.o )

He's obsessed with playoff expansion

Convert all television broadcasts to skycam view for the 2018 season. It’s the best viewing angle in ALL OF SPORT.

Skycam takes the whole viewing experience to another level. It’s better than the onboard cam in Motorsport.

The great thing is, it’s almost tailor made for football. The design of others sports means they’re hamstrung & can’t implement an angle like this. 

Ideas are easy to come up with. Solutions harder. Most things you could do to expand avenues to view the game would run into various hurdles from the government and networks. The NFL also seems fine selling exclusive rights to its product whether it's to Madden or to DirecTV.

The league is also just putting out an inferior product to what it was even a decade ago. Some people refuse to see this. The rule changes have done nothing to increase player safety. Head injuries and all other kinds of injuries are just as common as ever. They've increased flags with nothing to show for it. And I don't even think it buys them anything in a courtroom. So why do they keep on that same course without even the slightest honest evaluation? Most people here don't want to hear that, though. They just buy the whole they had no choice argument without a second thought.

Frankly, the NFL losing revenue is probably better for the fans who actually keep it alive. I don't care about the NFL's viewership. I don't care about its revenue streams unless they benefit me as a consumer. The NFL's misguided attempts to appeal to various demographics to grow the game have hit their peak and they're now in decline. They'll stay there until they fix the underlying issues with the product.

Archived