Chris Grier & the Multitrade of Madness

Tetsujin

Grier is looking even better after this leak.  Apparently the Jets weren't sure about Zach Wilson's shoulder and turned down the 49ers offer of a 1st round pick for Darnold.  Now I'm sure the Jets would have gotten back on the phone with the 49ers once they had clearance on Wilsons' shoulder, but of course old Chris beat them to the punch.

Report: Jets turned down a first-round draft pick for Sam Darnold (msn.com)

Apparently there's a possibility we trade down from 6th.

Think it all comes down to what happens with pick #4. If its a QB that goes 4, we stay at 6 and pick one of Chase/Pitts. If Atlanta goes Pitts, Miami probably trades down with a team who wants a QB and grabs Waddle/Smith.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Emerica said:

Think it all comes down to what happens with pick #4. If its a QB that goes 4, we stay at 6 and pick one of Chase/Pitts. If Atlanta goes Pitts, Miami probably trades down with a team who wants a QB and grabs Waddle/Smith.

I saw that tweet as well.  It makes all the sense in the world, assuming they have at least somewhat similar grades on the 3 WRs.  Pitts goes at 4.  Sewell goes at 5.  Smith/Chase/Waddle all there.  Makes sense to trade back as far as 9 with Denver to get more picks and still get one of the WRs.  

3 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

Chase, Waddle, and Smith are so different, it’s hard to believe we wouldn’t have a strong preference.

I could definitely see a scenario where they have a clear preference, but that it isn't strong enough to forego a couple extra 2nd round picks (just hypothetically speaking) to move down a few spots.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 8:56 PM, Emerica said:

I firmly believe it comes down to picks 4 and 5, although 4 is the bigger mystery right now IMO.  I believe that we stay at pick 6 unless; Pitts and Chase are drafted with picks 4 and 5.  If either of those players are available come pick 6 then that player is the pick, with Chase being the preference.  If Atlanta trades out of pick 4 or drafts a QB at 4 then we stay firm at pick 6.  I firmly believe the Bengals pick Chase at pick 5 over Sewell, who is falling on many draft boards.

Additionally, I love how Greir is playing it again for this draft.  One week out from draft day we have multiple media sources reporting opposing draft rumors.  One report claims we are looking to move up while another reports we are looking to trade back AGAIN, yet some reports claim we are targeting a specific prospect in round 1 while other reports are making the same claim with a different prospect.  We are all over the place LMAO.  I love it.

Edited by Swampbilly
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

I firmly believe it comes down to picks 4 and 5, although 4 is the bigger mystery right now IMO.  I believe that we stay at pick 6 unless; Pitts and Chase are drafted with picks 4 and 5.  If either of those players are available come pick 6 then that player is the pick, with Chase being the preference.  If Atlanta trades out of pick 4 or drafts a QB at 4 then we stay firm at pick 6.  I firmly believe the Bengals pick Chase at pick 5 over Sewell, who is falling on many draft boards.

Additionally, I love how Greir is playing it again for this draft.  One week out from draft day we have multiple media sources reporting opposing draft rumors.  One report claims we are looking to move up while another reports we are looking to trade back AGAIN, yet some reports claim we are targeting a specific prospect in round 1 while other reports are making the same claim with a different prospect.  We are all over the place LMAO.  I love it.

I agree with this assessment.  We likely will try to trade down again if Chase and Pitts are both gone.  The problem of course is that we cannot trade down two spots since the Panthers have acquired a QB through a different means.  So if the target is either DSmith or Waddle, another trade down becomes risky.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Exactly my sentiments.

I don't remember where I saw this but I remember a reporter mentioning that since Grier+Flores have been at the lead, there hasn't been another organization in the league that has had more smokescreens/confusing reports than the Dolphins and that they really don't know what to believe anymore when sources come with info about Miami.  Everyone is always guessing with the Dolphins and I think that's how they want it.

I mean just last year, everyone thought they were tanking for Tua, then everyone thought they were all in on Herbert, then we were going to trade up to grab Burrow and all of sudden rumors a day or two before the draft were that we were going to draft an OL. 

• Like 1

I don't think Grier and Flores are done making moves in Rounds 1 and 2.  A couple trades to keep in the back of your mind.....

X. Howard and a 2021 3rd for AZ #16 and a 4th.  Arizona is in "win now" mode and X is proven.  The last couple years, rookie CB's have struggled in year 1 and they may not have the luxury of waiting for one to come up to speed.

Dolphins #18 and #36 for Denver #9.  Miami could potentially walk away with Pitts and Parsons and Denver picks up a much needed top 36 prospect.  Win-Win for both clubs IMO.

Denver trades up to #6 for #9 and #40.  If Pitts and Chase are both gone, Waddle/Smith/Parsons are great consolation at #9 and #40 gives you flexibility to use that pick on RB/C/S.  This only works if Lance/Fields falls to #6.  If Grier could fleece DEN for 2022 1st instead of 2021 2nd..... even better.  That will be another Top 15 pick next year.

Baltimore trades #31 to Miami for Preston Williams and #36.  Baltimore gets a young talented cheap WR.  Miami moves up for RB they like for 5th year option.  Miami will need to cut/trade at least 3 WR before camp closes in August.  They have 9 signed right now.  I love Williams upside but someone (Grant, Bowden, Perry, Wilson, Hollins) has to go.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 7:37 AM, Swampbilly said:

I am definitely going to reserve Judgment until the entire draft is done. I get that they needed to put themselves in position in case Chase or Pitts fell to 6 to avoid a bidding war. Though, If they end up drafting Waddle or Smith at 6, I can't say that I will be thrilled. One of the 2 was likely going to be available at 12.

Just please don't draft Jaelen Phillips at 18 the injuries are just too concerning to draft that early in my opinion. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

Just please don't draft Jaelen Phillips at 18 the injuries are just too concerning to draft that early in my opinion. 

I thought Phillips looked great for the U last season, but I have to agree with you on drafting him at 18.  His head injuries terrify me as a 1st round prospect, much like Landon Dickerson's lower body injuries........Both have the measurables and production to be worthy 1st round selections but their injury history suggests they will have availability issues.

1 hour ago, Tetsujin said:

Chase/Pitts and Paye would be my ideal first round.

I would be happy with that.  It wouldn't be my ideal as I would prefer  Chase and Teven Jenkins / Christian Darrisaw.  Although I think Paye has great explosion off the edge and certainly fills a top need.

13 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I thought Phillips looked great for the U last season, but I have to agree with you on drafting him at 18.  His head injuries terrify me as a 1st round prospect, much like Landon Dickerson's lower body injuries........Both have the measurables and production to be worthy 1st round selections but their injury history suggests they will have availability issues.

Yea it’s absolutely the concussion issues for me with Phillips, as a player, talent wise I have no concerns. Longevity/availability is what concerns me. 

• Like 1