Debate: Should Raiders draft the next Charles Woodson in Rounds 1 or 2?

Should the Raiders Draft a CB at 17, 48?

As the draft inches closer, I've spent my time looking at the trees in the forest, and not my favorite leaf as closely as I'd like. I'm all over the board with our recent moves in free agency, and with all the first round talent, I'd be okay with drafting a lot of different positions. With the offensive line movement being a concern I could see us grabbing a Darrisaw, Slater, or Sewell, provided the latter two fall. Moerig is an option if Mayock and Gruden are smitten with a FS...but another need is corner. Not as glaring as other places we lack talent, I could see us having a Surtain II or Horn, even Farley falling into our laps. We all know that our defense is a joke in an AFC West that gets more competitive this year. We have to address the secondary somewhere and corner seems to have a huge continental shelf for where good or even elite talent falls off, begging today's question: Do the Raiders go CB in one of the first two rounds? I'd personally like a later, sleeper option pick at corner (looking at you Tay Gowan) and us get a Slater, or Tevin Jenkins, who may be a reach at 17 but plays what us die-hard fans know as throwback, hard-nosed Raider football. I could see Gruden also being a bonehead even more than he already has in this second stint as our coach, and move up to 4 since Atlanta is entertaining the phone ringing in their front office now. I'm only sure that I'm excited to see what buzz and chaos we do end up causing in the first round. Please let me know your thoughts and comments on what we should do, what you'd do as the GM and check out more content of mine, Raiders and NFL at https://realisticraiderfan.blogspot.com/

As always, thanks for reading my takes!

JUST WIN BABY!!!

I remember when Woodson came out and these guys aren't even close. If it wasn't for 2 QB's and a pass rusher from Fl St I doubt he would have been there. However ifd he wasn't then Randy Moss may have been the direction Al goes @ 4 Though he could have easily traded up for Randy too, so...

I don't want a CB in the first two rounds but if those 3 you mentioned were picked I could see the appeal. Especially if it's BPA like Farley falling because of health issues. I would love one in the 3rd and been eyeing Gowan also. If we don't add a FA RT and or FS then those 3rds might be used to move up to have 2 picks in the 1st. I could see us trading down from 17 and then up into late 1st to get that 5th year rookie contract. 

Or

Just keep trading down and get some rookie depth to fill out this team over the next few years. @ 17 the 3 tackles you mentioned are the only ones worth 17 if gone then trade down and get the best one and a FS. load up on 2nd and 3rd rounders. Would also love LB Collins on a trade down. LB Collins, FS and RT in the top 50 picks and adding a DT 3rd/4th

18 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

OT in the first

CB in the second IMO. I really like Stokes in the 2nd if he’s there and develop him. I think it’s a more important position than Safety, and Arnette is better suited at Nickel. 

I more or less agree with this, but it depends on who is on the board. I'd take Devonta Smith for example if bad teams are scared he is too small. If we went like: 1. Devonta Smith (or similar clear BPA type availability) 2. Alex Leatherwood/Jackson Carman tier of OL 3. Eric Stokes/Kelvin Joseph tier of raw CB with great measurables for another Isiah Johnson type hopefully with less injuries and a restarted rookie deal 3. defensive tackle or FS depending on who is there, and maybe hit up the other position soon after. Safeties from Indiana and Missouri my brain is saying Jemar and Gillespie click as potentially as in range like 3-5 type. DTs like Marvin Wilson, Twyman (of the three I think Twyman is more or less "the wrong type" given our 1 year deals at DT), Jay Tufele and whatnot maybe even Daviyon Nixon if he's inconsistencies and possible learning disability (I forget what I read but maybe something minor, but might cause pause for some teams).

I'd be very happy.

Edited by Trojan

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I more or less agree with this, but it depends on who is on the board. I'd take Devonta Smith for example if bad teams are scared he is too small. If we went like: 1. Devonta Smith (or similar clear BPA type availability) 2. Alex Leatherwood/Jackson Carman tier of OL 3. Eric Stokes/Kelvin Joseph tier of raw CB with great measurables for another Isiah Johnson type hopefully with less injuries and a restarted rookie deal 3. defensive tackle

I'd be very happy.

Not big on Leatherwood and Carman. Both give up the edge way too easily which is my pet peeve of OT prospects. Really think we are going to have to address OT in the 1st if we want a starter. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Not big on Leatherwood and Carman. Both give up the edge way too easily which is my pet peeve of OT prospects. Really think we are going to have to address OT in the 1st if we want a starter. 

I view them more or less as try at RT, if it's not adequate they'd make great guards with great mass. LT: Kolton LG: Incognito/Simpson OC: Andre James? RG: Leatherwood or Carman RT: Good

If they hold the edge well in camp they flip with Good.

On 4/7/2021 at 9:27 AM, BayRaider said:

I like Leatherwood. I just think he needs to play right tackle