Let's Get the Mocking

SDotNova

We are three weeks away. Now that we clearly know what we are doing at QB, wanted to get my wish scenario out there.

Assumptions:

- We have no idea what Joe Douglas will do. Literally, this guy gives nothing away

- As a result of the above, this mock is what I want to happen

Let's start off with a pre-draft FA signing:

- Brian Hoyer QB: We met with him yesterday. I don't want Zach Wilson to be forced to start and I get the impression Morgan is not ready. Otherwise, why would we be meeting with Hoyer?

NFL Draft:

1 (2): Zach Wilson QB: Is there any doubt? I'm pumped to get him 

TRADE!!!: While I think this is possible in real life, remember this is what I want to happen. The NY Jets trade pick 23, 107, and 2022 Carolina 2nd to Philadelphia for Pick 12. Why? Our OL has been deprived for too many years. Becton was a start and we have some placeholders at the other spots. We trade up to secure a top OL prospect. To me, there's a drop-off from the top 3 or 4 OL prospects. There's a lot of second tier guys who can come and start, but I want another top tier guy. We go up and get our guy. The Eagles continue to accumulate assets as they get through this rough patch.

1 (12): Rashawn Slater OL: Can start for us a RG right away and can move out to RT in the future. Joe Douglas likes guys who can play multiple positions. Well, this guy can play all 5. Fixing the OL is an urgent matter in my mind. We cannot let Zach get killed behind a poor OL.

2 (34): Travis Etienne RB: I expect Harris to be RB1 and expect some teams to wait to address the RB. While we can certainly wait for RB ourselves, I think Etienne is worth the pick. A first round talent who drops because of how deep this RB class is. The Jets need at least two guys on offense that require the defense to game plan for. Right now, we have ZERO (I like Davis and Mims, but they are not there). Etienne is a difference maker. Teams have to account for him on the football field. He fits our running scheme very well and is a dynamic home run threat.

3 (66): Tommy Tremble TE: I expect us to run a lot of 2 TE sets. So, we are going to need someone to pair with Herndon. Tremble is an exciting prospect who can play all over the field. He's a great athlete and an amazing blocker. We continue the theme of getting weapons who can block. Davis/Mims/Herndon/Tremble can all run block at a high level. 

Quick Comment: As it stands, we now have an impact running game. Tremble allows us to run our offense the way I think we plan on running. Having a strong running game will make life easier for Zach Wilson. The only thing we are missing on offense is a #1 WR (i.e. another player on offense that keeps defense up at night).

3 (86): Paulson Adebo CB: Adebo fits what I think we will ask for from our outside corners. As a 3rd rounder, I can't expect him to start right away. But I do expect him to compete with Bless Austin for the 2nd outside corner position. Between Hall, Austin, and Adebo, I think we have 2 quality starters.

5 (146) Marco Wilson CB: He can play inside and outside. I would have him competing with Guidry for the slot corner role.

5 (154) Jamien Sherwood S: Hoping over time he develops into a 3rd safety who can play in the box and also be a hybrid OLB. 

6 (186) Monty Rice LB: Adding more guys that can hopefully find a niche in our LB unit. He could also develop into a core special teamer.

6 (226) Justin Hilliard LB: Another guy I hope can find a place in our LB unit and another guy who can develop into a core special teamer.

Summary:

It's unrealistic to expect us to fill every hole. But I think this draft makes some progress.

On offense, we have an identity. We have a running game that has to be accounted for. As a rookie, this will take some pressure off Zach Wilson. The missing piece on offense will be a WR1. What I would do for that position is be at the ready to strike when a top WR hits the trade market. Seemingly one guy like Diggs, Hopkins, Cooper get traded every year. I'd be ready to trade a 2022 1st and a 2022 5th to make a deal like that happen. Not sure it'll be this year, but I can't see the Bucs having Evans and Godwin long-term. I'll be willing to trade those assets for a guy like Chris Godwin. So, again not sure who it'll be, but this is where my mind would be when it comes to addressing the WR1 role.

On defense, we added guys to the LB and DB rooms. My hope is that between these guys, the guys we've signed, and the young guys we already had on the team, that we are able to develop into a descent coverage team. The key on defense will be to pair Carl Lawson with another high quality Edge. That'll be what I would do with one of the 2022 1st. Not sure who that guy could be, but there's always 3-4 guys that fit the bill.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

We are three weeks away. Now that we clearly know what we are doing at QB, wanted to get my wish scenario out there.

Assumptions:

- We have no idea what Joe Douglas will do. Literally, this guy gives nothing away

- Brian Hoyer QB: We met with him yesterday. I don't want Zach Wilson to be forced to start and I get the impression Morgan is not ready. Otherwise, why would we be meeting with Hoyer?

NFL Draft:

TRADE!!!: While I think this is possible in real life, remember this is what I want to happen. The NY Jets trade pick 23, 107, and 2022 Carolina 2nd to Philadelphia for Pick 12. Why? Our OL has been deprived for too many years. Becton was a start and we have some placeholders at the other spots. We trade up to secure a top OL prospect. To me, there's a drop-off from the top 3 or 4 OL prospects. There's a lot of second tier guys who can come and start, but I want another top tier guy. We go up and get our guy. The Eagles continue to accumulate assets as they get through this rough patch.

1 (12): Rashawn Slater OL: Can start for us a RG right away and can move out to RT in the future. Joe Douglas likes guys who can play multiple positions. Well, this guy can play all 5. Fixing the OL is an urgent matter in my mind. We cannot let Zach get killed behind a poor OL.

2 (34): Travis Etienne RB: I expect Harris to be RB1 and expect some teams to wait to address the RB. While we can certainly wait for RB ourselves, I think Etienne is worth the pick. A first round talent who drops because of how deep this RB class is. The Jets need at least two guys on offense that require the defense to game plan for. Right now, we have ZERO (I like Davis and Mims, but they are not there). Etienne is a difference maker. Teams have to account for him on the football field. He fits our running scheme very well and is a dynamic home run threat.

3 (66): Tommy Tremble TE: I expect us to run a lot of 2 TE sets. So, we are going to need someone to pair with Herndon. Tremble is an exciting prospect who can play all over the field. He's a great athlete and an amazing blocker. We continue the theme of getting weapons who can block. Davis/Mims/Herndon/Tremble can all run block at a high level. 

Quick Comment: As it stands, we now have an impact running game. Tremble allows us to run our offense the way I think we plan on running. Having a strong running game will make life easier for Zach Wilson. The only thing we are missing on offense is a #1 WR (i.e. another player on offense that keeps defense up at night).

3 (86): Paulson Adebo CB: Adebo fits what I think we will ask for from our outside corners. As a 3rd rounder, I can't expect him to start right away. But I do expect him to compete with Bless Austin for the 2nd outside corner position. Between Hall, Austin, and Adebo, I think we have 2 quality starters.

5 (146) Marco Wilson CB: He can play inside and outside. I would have him competing with Guidry for the slot corner role.

5 (154) Jamien Sherwood S: Hoping over time he develops into a 3rd safety who can play in the box and also be a hybrid OLB. 

6 (186) Monty Rice LB: Adding more guys that can hopefully find a niche in our LB unit. He could also develop into a core special teamer.

6 (226) Justin Hilliard LB: Another guy I hope can find a place in our LB unit and another guy who can develop into a core special teamer.

Summary:

It's unrealistic to expect us to fill every hole. But I think this draft makes some progress.

On offense, we have an identity. We have a running game that has to be accounted for. As a rookie, this will take some pressure off Zach Wilson. The missing piece on offense will be a WR1. What I would do for that position is be at the ready to strike when a top WR hits the trade market. Seemingly one guy like Diggs, Hopkins, Cooper get traded every year. I'd be ready to trade a 2022 1st and a 2022 5th to make a deal like that happen. Not sure it'll be this year, but I can't see the Bucs having Evans and Godwin long-term. I'll be willing to trade those assets for a guy like Chris Godwin. So, again not sure who it'll be, but this is where my mind would be when it comes to addressing the WR1 role.

On defense, we added guys to the LB and DB rooms. My hope is that between these guys, the guys we've signed, and the young guys we already had on the team, that we are able to develop into a descent coverage team. The key on defense will be to pair Carl Lawson with another high quality Edge. That'll be what I would do with one of the 2022 1st. Not sure who that guy could be, but there's always 3-4 guys that fit the bill.

I like it sign me up

I’ll admit when I read you had us signing Hoyer and wanted him to compete to start I didn’t hold out much hope for this mock lol. 

However I’d sign up for this draft. Love Wilson, Slater, Tremble and Adebo. I like Etienne but not sure I’m all for going running back that high but depends on who’s left on the board for me. 

Bit heavy triple dipping at the lb/s position. Not sure we’d need all three of Sherwood, Rice and Hilliard. Maybe take a shot at a speedy receiver or edge with one of those picks instead? 

To come out of it with 5 very likely starters though is a win.  

Edited by xenajets

12 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

If that's all we have to give up to grab Slater count me in.  Just don't think I'd go RB that high but won't complain.  

Would like a speedy WR too.

With future picks it’s hard to know what’s reasonable. The Steelers went from 20th to 10th for Devin Bush. They traded a future 3rd and the 52nd pick.

I think an early 4th and a future 2nd is in the ball park for going 23 to 12.

I don’t mind going WR in the mid rounds. The only reason why I hesitate on that is because I think what we really need there is a number 1 guy. Not sure I trust a rookie mid rounder over V Smith and J Smith. I did go over board at the LB position though. 

Edited by SDotNova

I want the Jets to come out with at the least 2 OL or were screwed. All indications is the Jets will draft a RB but at the earliest may be the 3rd or 4th round as they have not even spoken with either of the top 2 RB's. They may take a LB in the 4th to 5th round but they are looking at DT in the 3rd to 4th rounds. I'm good with 2 corners, a safety and TE though.

9 hours ago, xenajets said:

I’ll admit when I read you had us signing Hoyer and wanted him to compete to start I didn’t hold out much hope for this mock lol. 

However I’d sign up for this draft. Love Wilson, Slater, Tremble and Adebo. I like Etienne but not sure I’m all for going running back that high but depends on who’s left on the board for me. 

Bit heavy triple dipping at the lb/s position. Not sure we’d need all three of Sherwood, Rice and Hilliard. Maybe take a shot at a speedy receiver or edge with one of those picks instead? 

To come out of it with 5 very likely starters though is a win.  

Lol. Not sure why I felt inclined to throw in Hoyer. Kind of random when I look back at it.

I did kind of go over board on LB. A flyer on an edge or WR is probably better than triple dipping. I struggle a bit with those late round picks. I want a WR1 and a top edge. So once we’re past the first couple of rounds, I’m like let me just focus on other positions. 

13 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Assumptions:

NFL Draft:

Summary:

Very interesting, you sure covered our offensive needs. I would be very happy if this was our draft selections.

Like the offensive identity you created.  I think this puts Wilson in a great spot.  I do like the positions addressed but don't love the trade up even for a player as good as Slater as a position of need.  I also prefer Williams at RB but that's just personal preference.  I won't completely knock the trade up though because it seems like really good value.

Overall if this goes down in 3 weeks I think I'd be really happy.  Nicely done.

Oh and switch one of those late picks for a kicker.  We need one badly.

Edited by Rockice_8

• 3 weeks later...