Early draft talk...

whodatworm23

NFL announced that the 2018 NFL draft will be held at AT&T stadium (Jerry's ?) next year. With the Saints picking up the pace this season lately our outlook as Saints fans as far as the draft goes as changed dramatically over the last few weeks but I know many of us like to discuss possible future BLACK & GOLD prospects and how they might fit in with the current team.

I created this post to have those discussions... So feel free here to discuss current college players, possible draft slotting and team needs. I look foward to the discussions throughtout the rest of the regular NCAA & NFL regular season.

WHODAT

If we finish out the season as we are currently playing I feel pretty good about the draft this year. I am pretty happy with the overall talent and depth we have on this team and I feel like we could really sit there in the second half of the first round and go BPA or trade pick a la the Pats. Another good CB would be awesome, we still need some more athleticism and play-making ability at linebacker and depth on the D-Line never hurts. On offense, if there is a non-risky WR I'd be all for it. The WR play has been shaky (outside of MT) this year without Cooks and Snead.

38 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

Really need some athleticism at LB, still.

I'm happy with anything defense. We need to continue building it up. LB seems like our biggest weakneaa, but I wouldn't be again us taking another corner or a pass rusher. Hell, I wouldn't mind another DT either. I just really hope we continue to address the defense.

On 10/23/2017 at 9:24 PM, Jlowe22 said:

We need a QB if it makes sense, but I don't wanna waste a high pick on one we don't like.  If no top QB falls to us, just keep building up this young defense and roll with Brees until he succumbs to the undeath.

Im not sold on any of these QB's coming out and I feel Darnold will stay at USC unless the 49ers land the top pick. One position to keep an eye on is interior offensive lineman. Kelemete is going to ne a free agent and has played well so he could land a potential starting job elsewhere and Max Unger will be like 32 years old on the back end of a big contract. Keep a close eye on a guy like Ohio States Billy Price who would be a steal at the backend of round 1 and could play reserve guard while bidding his time to take over for Unger in a year.

36 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Im not sold on any of these QB's coming out and I feel Darnold will stay at USC unless the 49ers land the top pick. One position to keep an eye on is interior offensive lineman. Kelemete is going to ne a free agent and has played well so he could land a potential starting job elsewhere and Max Unger will be like 32 years old on the back end of a big contract. Keep a close eye on a guy like Ohio States Billy Price who would be a steal at the backend of round 1 and could play reserve guard while bidding his time to take over for Unger in a year.

O-line is never the sexy pick, but you just can't argue with building a solid O-line with the intent on having a new QB under center in the next couple years. 

I'm ok with more O-line, but is it too much to ask for a LB that has a vert over 3" and runs under a 5s forty to be in the mix somewhere too?!

7 minutes ago, SWATcha said:

O-line is never the sexy pick, but you just can't argue with building a solid O-line with the intent on having a new QB under center in the next couple years. 

I'm ok with more O-line, but is it too much to ask for a LB that has a vert over 3" and runs under a 5s forty to be in the mix somewhere too?!

Free agency... Lol

Or mid round of draft. I dont trust this team drafting LB's high.

4 hours ago, livinspree said:

After Stephone Anthony... I've lost all faith in the ability to draft a linebacker.  

I haven't lost all faith... Despite his injury Anzalone was a solid mid round pick and thats the Saints comfort zone with this position. Stick to FA signings and mid round selections because drafting any higher than that at this position isnt their speciality.

Part of the reason for that is by in large the Saints are a "traits" staff. They like big, fast, strong but the linebacker position in the NFL is all about smarts and instincts... 2 things S. Anthony lacked. 

13 hours ago, SWATcha said:

True... However I have to admit, the Saints might have a gem in OC Cameron Tom. A Baton Rouge native and former Southern Miss star, Tom was an undersized prospect that has bloosomed into a up and coming center prospect. The Saints actually promoted Tom to the active roster this week to keep the Redskins away. So there is a chance that the succession plan to Unger is already in place.

6 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

True... However I have to admit, the Saints might have a gem in OC Cameron Tom. A Baton Rouge native and former Southern Miss star, Tom was an undersized prospect that has bloosomed into a up and coming center prospect. The Saints actually promoted Tom to the active roster this week to keep the Redskins away. So there is a chance that the succession plan to Unger is already in place.

Also, Warford got hurt in the Packers game... we might see a lot of extra blockers this week 

12 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Also, Warford got hurt in the Packers game... we might see a lot of extra blockers this week 

Im comfortable with Kelemete for a short time but I hope Warford is back soon. Mike Thomas missed practice with a knee... Holding breaths!

9 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I haven't lost all faith... Despite his injury Anzalone was a solid mid round pick and thats the Saints comfort zone with this position. Stick to FA signings and mid round selections because drafting any higher than that at this position isnt their speciality.

Part of the reason for that is by in large the Saints are a "traits" staff. They like big, fast, strong but the linebacker position in the NFL is all about smarts and instincts... 2 things S. Anthony lacked. 

Agreed. If we applied this type of mindset then we wouldn't have drafted Lattimore this year at CB as history has shown we've struggled to draft quality CB's that lived up to their draft position: Patrick Robinson, Stanley Jean-Babtiste, etc. Basically if we have a talented LB fall into our laps early in the draft we should pull the trigger.

Archived