Falcons release RB Ito Smith

TheKillerNacho

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2021/4/15/22385994/falcons-release-rb-ito-smith-surprise-move-nfl-free-agency-2021

A fourth-round pick in 2018, Ito Smith looked promising as a rookie but was rarely utilized. Still quite a surprise as he had one more year on his rookie deal.... the timing is also interesting since they signed Cordarelle Patterson earlier today, but announced him as a RB.

29 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

I liked Ito and don't quite get this move. Any team with a good Oline and a big RB1 could use Smith as a good shifty RB2 change of pace.

Tbh it feels like there is something going on behind the scenes instead of a pure production/cost release.

I think it just guarantees the Falcons will draft a RB in rounds 2-4, with the plan for Davis and the rookie to split carries. Patterson will likely be used as a gadget player out of the backfield. There just won't be a spot for a player like Smith who isn't a huge special teams contributor. Just my two cents. I liked Ito as well, but he's replaceable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swoosh said:

I think it just guarantees the Falcons will draft a RB in rounds 2-4, with the plan for Davis and the rookie to split carries. Patterson will likely be used as a gadget player out of the backfield. There just won't be a spot for a player like Smith who isn't a huge special teams contributor. Just my two cents. I liked Ito as well, but he's replaceable. 

Good point on the Special Teams, he doesn't add anything in that regard. Still would have rather kept him over signing Patterson. But we'll see.

I sorta liked the Judge a little sad to see him go honestly i thought he played well for us.  Hopefully this means we target a good RB in round 2 or 3.   Give me Harris, Williams Ettiene, Carter, or Sermon  probably in that order and i'll think we will be ok  :D  If we end up with Williams you might see your boy streaking down main street im super high on that guy maybe even over Harris at this point it's very close.