The Trade Up Mock Draft

WindyCity

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 20, 52, 1[2022] and 1[2023] to the Atlanta Falcons for 1[4] and a 5th round pick.

1[1] Jacksonville Jaguars: QB Trevor Lawrence [Clemson]
1[2] NY Jets: QB Zach Wilson [BYU]

1[3] San Francisco 49ers [Mia]: QB Mac Jones [Alabama]

1[4] QB Justin Fields [Ohio St] 6'3" 230lbs.

Justin Fields is a super exciting prospect. He combines incredible athletic tools, really good accuracy, and a ton of big game and big moment experience. He is as physically gifted a QB in this class and gives the Bears a QB prospect with a sky high ceiling and that could be an elite player at the position. The Bears trade a boatload to get him, a fortune, but really what option do they have? Try and find gold with a much lesser prospect in round 2 or 3? Continue to roll out mediocre QBs with no upside? Continue to have everything in place except a QB that can execute at a high level? The Bears are desperate for a QB and if Fields misses we are heading to a nuclear rebuild anyway.

article-696x392-5f3b6bf011be204e25b6cb92477e9950.jpg

3[83] WR Amari Rodgers [Clemson] 5'9" 212lbs.

The Bears appear to be done with Anthony Miller and he has never really become a consistent contributor, but it leads them in need of a slot WR that can generate big plays an YAC, something the offense has been missing. Rodgers has good speed and is built like a RB and runs like it once he has the ball. He is the type of player that can thrive and produce with short passes, jet sweeps, and even snaps at RB. Rodgers has experience lining up all over the offense and can give the Bears a versatile and dynamic player who can maximize the 4--50 targets he is likely to get.

Amari-Rodgers.jpg

5. CB Camryn Bynum [Cal] 6' 200lbs.

The Bears need options at CB and Bynum is a solid player that should come in and compete. He has good, not great physical tools, and he comes from a well coached defense. He has the size the Bears could use competiing on the outside and developing behind Trufant. Ideally, they would add a CB higher than this to compete, but the focus needs to be on getting the offense to un-suck and that comes at the expense of the defense.

GettyImages-842659620-e1599444231117.jpg?w=560&h=316&crop=1

5. OT Dan Moore Texas A&M] 6'6" 309lbs.

The Bears need to add developmental OT talent and ensure that they are never running out of OLmen. One of the issues during the Mitch tenure is that the OL was never good, they were not terrible outside of a stretch in 2019, but they were never good. The Bears need to start developing players that could be an upgrade from Leno and Ifedi at OT. Moore has the height, length and feet to be a starting NFL OT. He gets some time to develop with Castillo and can compete when ready. With limited premium picks in future years finding a cheap replacement for Ifedi or Leno would allow money to be diverted to areas where picks cannot be spent.

usatsi_11240769.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade WR Anthony Miller to the Baltimore Ravens for a 5th round pick.

5. TE Kenny Yeboah [Ole Miss] 6'4" 245lbs.

The Bears current U TE is a horrendously over paid geriatric who cannot run at all anymore. The fact that Graham is still on the roster is a shock, but it also gives the Bears a year to develop a young and cheap player in the U spot. Yeboah has some rough edges, but he has the physical tools and receiving ability to develop into a U TE. With very little depth and the team playing more 12 personnel, this pick is about making sure you do not need to alter the offense if Graham is injured or needs to be put on a snap count. Yeboah can block, he started his career at Temple where you pretty much have to, but I would not call it his greatest strength.

092620_florida_FB_4532.jpg?strip=all&lossy=1&resize=696%2C452&ssl=1

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade QB Nick Foles to the Denver Broncos for a conditional 5th round pick in 2022.
6. WR Marlon Williams [UCF] 6' 222lbs.

The Bears need a WR 5 that has a skill set they do not have and that can play special teams. Williams is built like a RB playing WR and he is really powerful and physical after the catch. On offense he can bring a bruising style that the Bears do not really have. He also has the size and temperament to be a special teams contributor in the WR core which the Bears do not have.

6WEXK57CVZGKJCFNRBR5OHAHPM.jpg

6. NT Naquan Jones [Michigan St] 6'4" 328lbs.

The Bears are spending too much on the DL and they need a cheap NT that can eat some snaps and take some of the beating off of Eddie Goldman. He does not need to rush the passer, he does not need to play a ton, he just needs to be big and hard to move. Jones is that. He likely is never going to be an adequate NFL pass rusher, but the Bears simply need him to be John Jenkins.

http://cdn.chatsports.com/thumbnails/4299-15937-original.jpeg

6. C Jimmy Morrisey [Pitt] 6'3" 300lbs.

The Bears have a lot of Cs on the roster that are better at OG and they need to ensure that an injury to Musitpher doesn't cause a massive line shift. Morrisey is a lunch pale type of pivot with good size and movement skills. He is a solid pass protector and based on his experience should hopefully be able to make the active roster. He had a really impressive 3 cone time, which is a good test when it comes to playing C in a zone heavy scheme. With this expensive new QB the Bears can simply not go to the street or the PR to start guys in front of him. 

3389383_web1_gtr-morrisseyKO-112520.jpg

6. ILB Justin Hilliard [Ohio St] 6'1" 233lbs.

The Bears need to get some backup ILB options that are not named Iggy or Woods, they are both terrible. Hilliard can run, he is a reliable tackler, and while he was over shadowed at Ohio St by other LBs he should be able to play special teams and some day take a crack at defense. Christian Jones becomes the primary backup, but the Bears need more options with Trevathan staring over the cliff.

8740331.jpg

Depth Chart 

QB: Dalton, Fields
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Williams, Pierce
WR: Robinson, Mooney, Rodgers, Goodwin, Ridley, Williams
TE: Kmet, Graham, Yeboah, Holtz
LT: Leno, Moore
LG: Whitehair
😄 Mustipher, Morrisey
RG: Daniels, Bars
RT: Ifedi, Wilkerson

RE: Nichols, Edwards
NT: Goldman, Jones
LE: Hicks, Blackson
OLB: Attouchu, Quinn, Gipson
ILB: Smith, Hilliard, Iggy
ILB: Trevathan, Jones
OLB: Mack, Vaughters
CB: Johnson, Trufant, Bynum, Vildor, Shelley
FS: Jackson, DHC
SS: Gipson, Bush

K: Santo
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales

Edited by WindyCity

I have a feeling SF wants Fields and leaked a bunch of lies to make people think they wanted Mac.

Why?  I don’t know.   I think they they think they are playing 4d chess or some BS.

If that’s true they probably pissed off Schefter though as they used him to spread a lie.  That may come back to bite them somehow.

I actually am intrigued by Mac now that I have seen him more.   He throws a really nice ball.   I think he just isn’t what teams want anymore.   

Fields is just too good an athlete to pass on at 3.   Not buying Mac at 3.  

If Mac was exact same dude and 2 inches taller with 6 pack abs he is likely in conversation for #2.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I have a feeling SF wants Fields and leaked a bunch of lies to make people think they wanted Mac.

Why?  I don’t know.   I think they they think they are playing 4d chess or some BS.

If that’s true they probably pissed off Schefter though as they used him to spread a lie.  That may come back to bite them somehow.

I actually am intrigued by Mac now that I have seen him more.   He throws a really nice ball.   I think he just isn’t what teams want anymore.   

Fields is just too good an athlete to pass on at 3.   Not buying Mac at 3.  

If Mac was exact same dude and 2 inches taller with 6 pack abs he is likely in conversation for #2.

I think the most likely scenario for the Bears is Mac slides out of the top 10 and they go get him at a reduced rate.

50 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

These are the spots I would like to move for each QB

Fields-4

Lance-8

Mac-10-12

To me that reflects risk and upside of each.

7    Detroit Lions                        
8    Carolina Panthers                        
9    Denver Broncos    

10    Dallas Cowboys                      

11    New York Giants                        
1    12    Philadelphia Eagles                        
1    13    Los Angeles Chargers                        
1    14    Minnesota Vikings                        
1    15    New England Patriots                        
1    16    Arizona Cardinals                        
1    17    Las Vegas Raiders                        
1    18    Miami Dolphins                        
1    19    Washington Football Team                        
1    20    Chicago Bears

Bears are still competing with 8 teams in front of them that may take a QB.    And Steelers and Saints behind.

Dolphins may be sneaky in taking a QB at 6 too.   People are sleeping on them.   They might be gambling.  They may not really love Tua as he did not look good last year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Dolphins may be sneaky in taking a QB at 6 too.   People are sleeping on them.   They might be gambling.  They may not really love Tua as he did not look good last year. 

OOooo!   What if real reason SF is being silent on their draft pick at 3 is because of a deal with Miami?

They promised not to devulge their pick to anyone, but told Miami the pick as part of trade deal.

So Miami knows they like a dif QB than one SF likes and are gambling he will be there at 6 because Atl and Cin are not likely to take QBs if they stand pat.

If SF tells everyone their choice teams will start weighing whether they want to move to 4 or 5 knowing the first 3 picks for certain.  They may talk themselves into it given a long time.   Whereas in 10 or 20 minutes on draft day they may not.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

7    Detroit Lions                        
8    Carolina Panthers                        
9    Denver Broncos    

10    Dallas Cowboys                      

11    New York Giants                        
1    12    Philadelphia Eagles                        
1    13    Los Angeles Chargers                        
1    14    Minnesota Vikings                        
1    15    New England Patriots                        
1    16    Arizona Cardinals                        
1    17    Las Vegas Raiders                        
1    18    Miami Dolphins                        
1    19    Washington Football Team                        
1    20    Chicago Bears

Bears are still competing with 8 teams in front of them that may take a QB.    And Steelers and Saints behind.

You’re grossly over estimating how many teams are going to be QB hunting.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

OOooo!   What if real reason SF is being silent on their draft pick at 3 is because of a deal with Miami?

They promised not to devulge their pick to anyone, but told Miami the pick as part of trade deal.

So Miami knows they like a dif QB than one SF likes and are gambling he will be there at 6 because Atl and Cin are not likely to take QBs if they stand pat.

If SF tells everyone their choice teams will start weighing whether they want to move to 4 or 5 knowing the first 3 picks for certain.  They may talk themselves into it given a long time.   Whereas in 10 or 20 minutes on draft day they may not.

Miami isn’t taking a QB. If they do... I will gladly take Tua off their hands at a discount.

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

You’re grossly over estimating how many teams are going to be QB hunting.

I don’t think they all are.  Just listing possibilities that could surprise.

I think Denver and Washington are teams to watch. 

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1