The Trade Up Mock Draft

WindyCity

Just now, WindyCity said:

I would not trade to 4 for Mac Jones. Lance I could understand, but not Jones.

The Bears didn't even bother to attend Lance's Pro Day.  Either they have no interest or it's another famous Pace feint.

If Jones falls Pace best have a plan for jumping NE because he's just the kind of QB Belicheat would jump on.  Maybe that's where having a pre-draft deal with Dallas comes into play.  I like Jones despite his lack of starting experience and his playing at 'Bama.  He seems to me to a kid you can invest in and make a good NFL QB out of.

But he's still not gonna arise and be the savior of the 2021 season and shouldn't be expected to or we may end up with Mitch Trubisky v2.0.  There are just enough similarities to make it a concern.

50 minutes ago, soulman said:

The Bears didn't even bother to attend Lance's Pro Day.  Either they have no interest or it's another famous Pace feint.

If Jones falls Pace best have a plan for jumping NE because he's just the kind of QB Belicheat would jump on.  Maybe that's where having a pre-draft deal with Dallas comes into play.  I like Jones despite his lack of starting experience and his playing at 'Bama.  He seems to me to a kid you can invest in and make a good NFL QB out of.

But he's still not gonna arise and be the savior of the 2021 season and shouldn't be expected to or we may end up with Mitch Trubisky v2.0.  There are just enough similarities to make it a concern.

They were all at his first pro day.

I agree that Lance may be to big a risk for the Bears as they currently sit.

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Taking a QB in round 1 isn’t about the current year anyway. It’s about the 10+ years that follow. If we take a QB in round 1 at 4 or 20 or somewhere in between anything we get from them in 2021 is going to be gravy. And also FWIW if Lance’s 2019 was in 2020 instead nobody would question taking him at 3 or 4. It’s not like he regressed in 2020. Anyone taking Lance is banking that he can be 70% or more of what we saw from him in 2019 as a pro, because his 2019 tape is ridiculous. 

17 hours ago, WindyCity said:

But not the second.  So.....two possibilities.

1) They saw enough the first time to see him as a guy they would draft.

2) They saw just the opposite.

I'd agree with you that Lance is that kinda guy who could burn you.  In addition I just don't see him as a good fit for Nagy.

He may be that guy who slides much farther than expected because of the risk involved.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Taking a QB in round 1 isn’t about the current year anyway. It’s about the 10+ years that follow. If we take a QB in round 1 at 4 or 20 or somewhere in between anything we get from them in 2021 is going to be gravy. And also FWIW if Lance’s 2019 was in 2020 instead nobody would question taking him at 3 or 4. It’s not like he regressed in 2020. Anyone taking Lance is banking that he can be 70% or more of what we saw from him in 2019 as a pro, because his 2019 tape is ridiculous. 

So.....do you see him as potentially being this years Pat Mahomes?

9 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

But you don’t have pick 4.   You have to buy it and it will cost you several future blue chip players.  

Picking a QB at your own draft slot is a whole different ball game.

QB is most important, but a great QB on a crappy team is still usually a crappy team.

Not saying you should never do it.  Just saying it isn’t without great risk and cost.

Worth considering that both Rams and Philly survived a big move without a huge payoff in the player and even each went to SB with Philly winning it.

But Bears are not in same situation as Philly and LA.  They are coming off a big player trade and do not have a young inexpensive roster any longer.   They need draft picks in addition to a QB to retool team.   

They could go Rams route and keep signing blue chip vets and say screw draft we’ll take proven commodities.   Rams have deeper pockets though and are willing to circumvent salary cap for less profit.   Bears aren’t going to do that long term.  

Had Titans and Cleveland drafted better they could have turned those moves into mini dynasties.  

19 hours ago, soulman said:

What if SF takes Fields?  Are you then trading up to #4 overall for Mac Jones?  Recent rumors have SF now more focused on Fields?

Rumors right now are all over the place.  Riddick says the Jones thing is real, but could be Lance all along.  Collin Cowherd has totally flipped his position and thinks its Jones, and Shannon Sharpe, who is very close with the Shanahans thinks its Jones.  There is no way in hell I would take Jones at #3, but I'm not a NFL GM/HC so maybe they see something I dont, or they are really locked in on getting their guy.  Nonetheless the feeling I get is that it is Jones, usually the first things you here this time of year are most correct.  If Fields is at 4, I make the trade.  If not, I dont.  I move on to targeting Lance.  Carolina or Dallas makes the most sense as a potential partner.  I 100% would not trade up for Jones.  I would not take Jones at 20.  I would not take Jones in the first round at all, and I pity the team that does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

So.....do you see him as potentially being this years Pat Mahomes?

More like this years Josh Allen which both Fields and Lance compare to.  Ridiculous physical skills but need to be refined (Lance moreso than Fields) and probably arent going to return immediate dividends.  But 2 years from now could easily be talked about as elite QBs alongside Mahomes and Allen.  Everything I hear about Lance I like.  Chip on his shoulder from no power 5 schools offering for QB.  Is really football smart. Been studying pro tape since he got to college. Small town kid (much like Allen) with a good set of values.  Is obsessed with being the best.  I am somewhat secretly hoping we miss Fields and get Lance.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I would not take Jones at 20.  I would not take Jones in the first round at all, and I pity the team that does.

Yeah, I've been getting caught up with the Jones hype but the more I watch him the less I'm impressed, just like before he started flying up the draft boards. I still prefer Trask to him, and neither would be the pick I'd take at 20. I'd take a swing at them if I was in the 30-32 range but that is just because I want the 5th year option.

With Jones I see Kirk Cousins, with Trask I see Chad Pennington in Big Ben's body.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Yeah, I've been getting caught up with the Jones hype but the more I watch him the less I'm impressed, just like before he started flying up the draft boards. I still prefer Trask to him, and neither would be the pick I'd take at 20. I'd take a swing at them if I was in the 30-32 range but that is just because I want the 5th year option.

With Jones I see Kirk Cousins, with Trask I see Chad Pennington in Big Ben's body.

The 5th year option is now fully guaranteed and the value is a stones throw away from the franchise tag.  And you have to make the decision before the start of the 4th year.  Honestly, that juice isnt worth the squeeze imo.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Rumors right now are all over the place.  Riddick says the Jones thing is real, but could be Lance all along.  Collin Cowherd has totally flipped his position and thinks its Jones, and Shannon Sharpe, who is very close with the Shanahans thinks its Jones.  There is no way in hell I would take Jones at #3, but I'm not a NFL GM/HC so maybe they see something I dont, or they are really locked in on getting their guy.  Nonetheless the feeling I get is that it is Jones, usually the first things you here this time of year are most correct.  If Fields is at 4, I make the trade.  If not, I dont.  I move on to targeting Lance.  Carolina or Dallas makes the most sense as a potential partner.  I 100% would not trade up for Jones.  I would not take Jones at 20.  I would not take Jones in the first round at all, and I pity the team that does.

If the 49ers take Jones that would be such a gift for the Bears. 2 High Upside QBS falling to 4 and beyond.

50 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

FWIW news broke this week that Fields deals with epilepsy.  Although this doesn't appear to have ever prevented him from performing well and some feel it may be an adolescent condition he's outgrown it still adds a wild card concern about him for some teams.

But you're right.  SF holds the key to what happens in the QB sweepstakes.