Chiefs trade for OT Orlando Brown

kingseanjohn

6 hours ago, samsel23 said:

2019 is not bad,  but it’s far from an outstanding class.  

2.24 WR Mecole Hardman Georgia - This is the controversial pick. We will see which way it falls this year
2.31 DB Juan Thornhill Virginia - Great pick
3.21 DL Khalen Saunders Western Illinois - OK pick
6.29 DB Rashad Fenton South Carolina - Excellent pick, but no better
6.42 RB Darwin Thompson Utah State - OK pick
7.02 OL Nick Allegretti Illinois - Excellent pick, might be outstanding

I can accept not outstanding, though that could change..

However, you have to factor in the draft capital available. There are no picks in the top 50 it is still an impact class. Every player up there has had impact in the playoffs. Hardman's play needs to step up for it to be outstanding. 

5 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I hope not. Let's see, that's a 2021 #31, #94 traded for 1year rental?

Look closer. Add the gives and takes and it comes out #45.

Against that, we have a young, proven player with a mission and the likelihood of a compensatory 3rd round pick. 

J

• Like 1

That's it. We're paying a second round pick for a season of a potentially elite player, with some additional possibilities. 

If you add up all the remaining picks, we could offer for the Raven's original first round pick, #27. Realistically, Day #1 is out of the question. This raises a new set of questions

• What is the new top draft priority?
  • How much additional draft capital do we want to throw at the OL?
  • Where should we be fishing on Day #3?
  • Who is the team planning to move up the depth chart where we lost bodies?

J

Edited by onejayhawk

3 hours ago, Chiefer said:

The Super Bowl

Such a short sighted goal lol

The Super Bowl is always realistic with Mahomes.   Continually ignoring the draft and trading away our top draft asset is not a great way to build for continuous success.    Veach has made 1 first round pick in all the years we've had him,  is that not crazy to anyone else.    If it weren't for the roster he inherited from the previous regime,  he would be struggling mightily.     Yes it was the right move to get rid of Dorsey,   but why can't we act like this is an issue.     Yes we're winning..   no the sky isn't falling...   but I can definitely question that the majority of Veach guys that contribute to this team are well paid to be here via trade and FA.    Unless Reid is getting to a point where he thinks retirement is an option,  I don't see the need to continually throw all our eggs in one basket..   if he is,  than yes I am all for getting Reid out the door in style in these coming years.        

None of this is to say I don't like what Brown brings to the table,   he improves our team.    But you saw what happened when we kept all our picks last year,  it was one of the better rookie classes we've had in some time.    Get 2-3 years of that.. and you have a full roster instead of amazing starters and crap depth (which is why we lost the SB)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

2.24 WR Mecole Hardman Georgia - This is the controversial pick. We will see which way it falls this year
2.31 DB Juan Thornhill Virginia - Great pick
3.21 DL Khalen Saunders Western Illinois - OK pick
6.29 DB Rashad Fenton South Carolina - Excellent pick, but no better
6.42 RB Darwin Thompson Utah State - OK pick
7.02 OL Nick Allegretti Illinois - Excellent pick, might be outstanding

Not gonna quote all that.   But Khalen Saunders as an Ok pick is stretching it.   3rd round pick and he was inactive a ton in year 2 (some of that was coming back from injury I'll admit).  

Fenton and Allegretti are solid for 6th rounders.   Solid depth,   Excellent is also probably stretching it a bit.

I agree with the rest.   It will mostly fall on Hardman, I'll agree, since we did trade multiple picks to go up and snag him.

Been reading some over at the Ravens site. 2 points:

1 - There is some talk of Brown having a weight/eating issue. Anyone else want to confirm this?

2 - Trade talk seems to be evenly split: some for the trade ("we get draft capital", "Brown didn't want to be here anyway so we took the best deal possible" and "I hope this blows up KC's CAP situation), some against the trade ("how do we beat KC in January now?"),

22 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

1 - There is some talk of Brown having a weight/eating issue. Anyone else want to confirm this?

2 - Trade talk seems to be evenly split: some for the trade ("we get draft capital", "Brown didn't want to be here anyway so we took the best deal possible" and "I hope this blows up KC's CAP situation), some against the trade ("how do we beat KC in January now?"),

The performance at the Combine is proof enough. Brown is the sort of player that will let himself go soft if allowed. Fortunately, he's in a contract year, which is a ton of motivation. 

J

44 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Not having legitimate Left OT and Right OT starters (Fisher's achilles was last) is part of it. Both were out injured.

And not addressing those areas via draft earlier because we traded away picks, in those years also,  could be attributed to that.      Niang opted out so that didn't help,  but that point still stands.   Same could be said for Kelce this year.

Edited by samsel23

2 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

All this smoke and come playoff time lamar's gonna be throwing the ball to kiddies in the stands cuz he's not a QB like that

3 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Lol, Brown had the worst combine performance probably all-time. Doesnt seem to have slowed him down too much 

3 hours ago, samsel23 said:

The Super Bowl is always realistic with Mahomes.   Continually ignoring the draft and trading away our top draft asset is not a great way to build for continuous success.    Veach has made 1 first round pick in all the years we've had him,  is that not crazy to anyone else.    If it weren't for the roster he inherited from the previous regime,  he would be struggling mightily.     Yes it was the right move to get rid of Dorsey,   but why can't we act like this is an issue.     Yes we're winning..   no the sky isn't falling...   but I can definitely question that the majority of Veach guys that contribute to this team are well paid to be here via trade and FA.    Unless Reid is getting to a point where he thinks retirement is an option,  I don't see the need to continually throw all our eggs in one basket..   if he is,  than yes I am all for getting Reid out the door in style in these coming years.        

None of this is to say I don't like what Brown brings to the table,   he improves our team.    But you saw what happened when we kept all our picks last year,  it was one of the better rookie classes we've had in some time.    Get 2-3 years of that.. and you have a full roster instead of amazing starters and crap depth (which is why we lost the SB)

I mean hes only traded away a first round pick one time. And he got a 2nd round pick out of it. No reason to leave fate to the wind and hope a needed player falls to us. We NEED a LT in the short term and we got the best one on the market imo. Good enough for me, worry about the future once we get to it, im living in the now.

Our draft class wasnt that great last year. Clyde was kinda disappointing and got hurt, Gay hardly played and got hurt, Niang was out. Sneed really saved this class, and the late round pocks were solid contributors. Veach really isn’t that great a drafter.

no matter your complaints you can’t prepare for Fisher and Schwartz and Osemele, and LDT and Niang to be out. Nobody can survive that war of attrition. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I mean hes only traded away a first round pick one time.

2018 Dorsey traded for Mahomes; Veach trades up for Breeland Speaks for his first pick.

2019 Veach traded for Clark. We gave up a 2019 1st and 2020 2nd, and swapped 2020 3rds.

2020 Veach picked CEH

2021 Veach traded for Brown. We gave up a 1st, 3rd, and 4th in 2021 and a 5th in 2022. We also got a 2021 2nd and 2022 6th.