The Car Thread

Dome

On 13/01/2020 at 5:46 AM, JTagg7754 said:

Thanks for responding

Edit: guess I didn't say that here, only to my wife when discussing it lol. But yeah, that was my initial thought. Just glad it's not the fuel tank, or at least you think. That's relieving

Edit edit: Just did another round of looking here at the office and it seems it might be the bracket that's acting as support for this so seemingly nothing internal. Hoping it's as simple as replacing the bracket.

As stupid as it sounds, probably the first thing i'd do if i couldn't find a bracket or something of that sort rattling around under there (exhaust bracket seems like a possible cause)...would be to take a look in that spare tire and make sure something hasn't come loose and started rattling around in there.  Doubtful that's the issue, but never hurts to check the simplest things first.

13 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

For road trips, do you guys get a rental, or take your own car? 

Pros - not putting extra mileage on my car (in my case 800 KM total) over the course of 2 days, not having to drive that mileage over all the snow/salt on the roads so less wear and tear. 

Cons - I'm used to my own car and love it, have to return this rental. Rental will also cost $146 extra ($106 for car, $40 for insurance from my regular provider)

I ultimately chose the rental this time around and usually do for long road trips, shorter i take my own car (like 2 hours - 200 KM)

I'd take my own car.  Literally never would cross my mind to rent a car...to drive somewhere, when i have access to my own car.  What's the point of even owning a car, if you can't/don't want to drive it places?  Especially paying a bunch more for everything, only to get a crappier car with probably bad tires and minimally maintained, as well as thoroughly uninspiring to drive on the highway.

Though i think i come from a place where distances are pretty skewed.  200km isn't anything resembling a "road trip"...that's like, an afternoon day trip.  800km round trip is basically the nearest big city, or something where i might drive that in the morning...hike up and down, or ski up and down a small mountain...then return home within the day.

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

As stupid as it sounds, probably the first thing i'd do if i couldn't find a bracket or something of that sort rattling around under there (exhaust bracket seems like a possible cause)...would be to take a look in that spare tire and make sure something hasn't come loose and started rattling around in there.  Doubtful that's the issue, but never hurts to check the simplest things first.

I think it's a fuel tank strap that is rattling. I posted the same thing on a mechanic forum and that's what they suggested. Weird thing is, if I apply the brakes, the sound is very light if anything at all. I'm going to have them inspect those as well, on the rear. It could be just bc the vibrations are more contained when brake pressure is applied. Regardless, I'm hoping this is fixed early next week bc it's driving me nuts lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 4:22 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

My truck.

I don’t worry about mileage as I work from home so I don’t drive a ton to begin with.  

I have my truck just how I want it, emergency gear, good tires, I know it’s been well maintained, etc.  

Good point. I know my car has winter tires and all maintenance is done on time. Rental probably has all-season tires

On 1/17/2020 at 4:42 PM, JTagg7754 said:

Your insurance doesn't cover rentals?? I have never paid for extra insurance for rentals.

In your situation, I'd do the rental and have before. 

It doesn't, but its only an extra $40 per year. Rental company charges $25 per day so its a no brainer for me to take $40 per year, 2 days makes it worth it. 

On 1/18/2020 at 3:25 AM, Tugboat said:

I'd take my own car.  Literally never would cross my mind to rent a car...to drive somewhere, when i have access to my own car.  What's the point of even owning a car, if you can't/don't want to drive it places?  Especially paying a bunch more for everything, only to get a crappier car with probably bad tires and minimally maintained, as well as thoroughly uninspiring to drive on the highway.

Though i think i come from a place where distances are pretty skewed.  200km isn't anything resembling a "road trip"...that's like, an afternoon day trip.  800km round trip is basically the nearest big city, or something where i might drive that in the morning...hike up and down, or ski up and down a small mountain...then return home within the day.

Fair point. I live near a big city and round trip to work is 30 KM per day. I might drive to see friends in different parts of the region on the weekend and thats 30-45 KM one way, so 60-90 round trip. I have 11,000 KM in 9 months of ownership, didn't want to put an extra 1000 in 2 days esp in bad weather. But if i had to do the trip again i'd rather just use my own.

The rental i drove seemed to have a more powerful engine actually. My car has a 2.5L 4CYL (Mazda 3), i think my rental had a 3.6 L V6 (Buck Regal)

Edited by 49ersfan

On 18/01/2020 at 9:18 AM, JTagg7754 said:

I think it's a fuel tank strap that is rattling. I posted the same thing on a mechanic forum and that's what they suggested. Weird thing is, if I apply the brakes, the sound is very light if anything at all. I'm going to have them inspect those as well, on the rear. It could be just bc the vibrations are more contained when brake pressure is applied. Regardless, I'm hoping this is fixed early next week bc it's driving me nuts lol

If you think it's that, you could probably get under there with a wrench or two and fix your issue for free.  I've honestly never heard of that being a thing...but..again, really not a Mazda guy.  Maybe that's a thing that happens on Mazdas, i have no idea.

Should at least be able to climb under and yank on the "fuel tank strap" (lightly) they think is loose, and verify it.  If it's not loose to a bit of heavy petting...it's probably not the issue.

Just seems a bit weird, that they'd tell you what's wrong...and if it's as simple as tightening some bolts, wouldn't just do it.  Unless the actual bracket is broken.

Other thing that comes to mind if you've checked other things, is to check the springs aren't broken.  That can do a thing.  I've heard weird rear-end rattles from busted springs.

Edited by Tugboat

On 26/01/2020 at 9:45 PM, 49ersfan said:

Good point. I know my car has winter tires and all maintenance is done on time. Rental probably has all-season tires

It doesn't, but its only an extra $40 per year. Rental company charges $25 per day so its a no brainer for me to take $40 per year, 2 days makes it worth it. 

Fair point. I live near a big city and round trip to work is 30 KM per day. I might drive to see friends in different parts of the region on the weekend and thats 30-45 KM one way, so 60-90 round trip. I have 11,000 KM in 9 months of ownership, didn't want to put an extra 1000 in 2 days esp in bad weather. But if i had to do the trip again i'd rather just use my own.

The rental i drove seemed to have a more powerful engine actually. My car has a 2.5L 4CYL (Mazda 3), i think my rental had a 3.6 L V6 (Buck Regal)

I know i live in a kinda warped middle of nowhere reality.  I also know that i like to keep my cars kms down when i can, and have for years.  I just don't really trust rental cars mostly.

But it sounds like you got a nice Buick Cruiser to check off some miles.  Tbh...that probably was an upgrade for that kind of trip.  Just having some more room, a smoother ride, and some more highway passing ability.

18 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Moving to Texas in the Fall. Not sure if my truck, which doesn't have any problems and is in good shape, can tow the U-Haul Trailer I'm renting when it's fully packed.

Just make sure you check weights. Don't pull more than the truck says it can, and don't bother trying to drive fast along the way.

What kind of truck, and how big of a trailer?

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

If you think it's that, you could probably get under there with a wrench or two and fix your issue for free.  I've honestly never heard of that being a thing...but..again, really not a Mazda guy.  Maybe that's a thing that happens on Mazdas, i have no idea.

Should at least be able to climb under and yank on the "fuel tank strap" (lightly) they think is loose, and verify it.  If it's not loose to a bit of heavy petting...it's probably not the issue.

Just seems a bit weird, that they'd tell you what's wrong...and if it's as simple as tightening some bolts, wouldn't just do it.  Unless the actual bracket is broken.

Other thing that comes to mind if you've checked other things, is to check the springs aren't broken.  That can do a thing.  I've heard weird rear-end rattles from busted springs.

So it wound up being none of it. These dipshhhhs that installed my brakes apparently did a terrible job on the rear ones. The shop that did them, the owner, went through the car and checked em out and said everything was fine but nope. The guys in my town looked at it and said it was definitely a problem and sure enough, everything's good. Needless to say, I'm done w/ the other shop and wish I wasn't such a moron when it came to this stuff. The tank is still a problem and he feels it may be a baffle but that's a different road to go down. 

18 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Moving to Texas in the Fall. Not sure if my truck, which doesn't have any problems and is in good shape, can tow the U-Haul Trailer I'm renting when it's fully packed.

What @MrDrew said.  What is your truck?  What's it got for an engine, transmission, rear-end, payload, etc...and what sort of trailer are you planning on towing?  Lot of numbers to consider when towing.  Probably most importantly...does it have that lighting hookup wired in?   Can't say i've seen many trucks without at least that basic stuff wired in.  I don't think i've seen a truck without it, but idk...things are weird up here, so i don't want to presume anything.

But considering it's a 1-time sorta deal, and it's a UHaul trailer...i'm honestly not sure they rent anything that'd be concerning even if jam-packed, for any full-sized pickup, or even super concerning for a mid-sized truck.  Just load it smart.  Keep the heaviest stuff nearer to the trailer axles skewed slightly front so you get a nice balanced load as best you can, and take 'er easy.  If it's a load you're worried about...just don't be in a rush, and drive pro-actively with hills and stuff.  You'll probably make it just fine.

The brake thing is what i'd be most concerned about with UHaul stuff.  I don't think i've ever seen a UHaul trailer with a brake connector, so i imagine they're probably all just surge brake dudes for convenience and easy of use?  Be careful with it.  Don't expect it to be any good.  Don't expect to be able to lean on it to stop fast.  If it's like their vans, it's probably got garbo tires on it too.  But as long as one of them doesn't blow out...You'll probably come out the otherside alright.

49 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

Just make sure you check weights. Don't pull more than the truck says it can, and don't bother trying to drive fast along the way.

What kind of truck, and how big of a trailer?

I mean, if we're being honest...you can tow more than the truck is rated to pull.  Just like you said...don't bother trying to drive fast along the way.  The rated towing is just...a number.  But also, i believe America is trickier when it comes to pulling over-weight across State lines?  I don't actually know.

I don't know squat about the passenger GCVWR stuff in the US though, where so much as i understand...you can get in some real trouble if the numbers don't line up right.  But that's more for HD trucks and biggun' trailers, where they start to collide with commercial vehicles.  Real Duty Towing.  Guaranteed i'd have broken some bylaws in some state with GCVWR laws by now if i lived in the authoritarian states of America.

Pretty sure nobody concerned about a UHaul is going to be in that territory though.  I don't think they rent a trailer anywhere big enough, do they?

19 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

So it wound up being none of it. These dipshhhhs that installed my brakes apparently did a terrible job on the rear ones. The shop that did them, the owner, went through the car and checked em out and said everything was fine but nope. The guys in my town looked at it and said it was definitely a problem and sure enough, everything's good. Needless to say, I'm done w/ the other shop and wish I wasn't such a moron when it came to this stuff. The tank is still a problem and he feels it may be a baffle but that's a different road to go down. 

The heck was rattling in your rear brakes?  That's...concerning.

Glad you got it figured out though.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The heck was rattling in your rear brakes?  That's...concerning.

Glad you got it figured out though.

They installed them backwards or upside down. I can't remember which b/c I was too furious when he told me. He said he could put his hands on the brakes and physically move them back and forth. I do remember something about the way they installed them didn't allow for the extra pins that needed to be added to keep everything secure. This is supposed to be a high-end shop I took it to as well. The bill I received suggests it as well. Regardless, thanks b/c I'm glad it's figured out as well b/c it drove me nuts for a couple months.

6 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

They installed them backwards or upside down. I can't remember which b/c I was too furious when he told me. He said he could put his hands on the brakes and physically move them back and forth. I do remember something about the way they installed them didn't allow for the extra pins that needed to be added to keep everything secure. This is supposed to be a high-end shop I took it to as well. The bill I received suggests it as well. Regardless, thanks b/c I'm glad it's figured out as well b/c it drove me nuts for a couple months.

That is...absolutely alarming.  Mazda 3s have like, single piston rear brakes right?  Did they install the pads...inside-out or something?  Messed up.  How could you even mis-install something like that?

Wild that the only adverse effect of that, was some rattling tbh.

Installing brake pads the right way is like...dude, read the ******* label even, or google it at worst.  Crazy that anyone would charge you for that, while doing it wrong somehow.

I'm just shocked a rattling sound was the only issue in having them flipped.  I suppose Mazda 3 rear brake pads are pretty similar enough they work when installed incorrectly?  I don't know if that's impressive, or terrible.