The Car Thread

Dome

53 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I've always hated the way they do reliability.  Basically equating it flat, if it's a transmission or a window switch or software reset that needs fixing.  Doesn't really mean much...

It's warranty repairs. A lot of it is minor, but it's the total averages that they use to come up with it. If one brand has 1 warranty repair every 5 cars, and the other has 4 repairs per car, it makes sense that one could be considered more reliable. I do get that a window switch is a totally different thing than a transmission though, but it still means a trip to have something fixed.

If you were really to dissect the bottom 5, and separate drivetrain issues from electronics/accessories, 2 of them would definitely still be on there, and probably on both lists.

14 minutes ago, MrDrew said:

It's warranty repairs. A lot of it is minor, but it's the total averages that they use to come up with it. If one brand has 1 warranty repair every 5 cars, and the other has 4 repairs per car, it makes sense that one could be considered more reliable. I do get that a window switch is a totally different thing than a transmission though, but it still means a trip to have something fixed.

If you were really to dissect the bottom 5, and separate drivetrain issues from electronics/accessories, 2 of them would definitely still be on there, and probably on both lists.

It doesn't make sense though.  Because not all warranty repairs are equal.

I'm a lot more annoyed if i have to get a window motor replaced under warranty...than i am if i'm an ignorant 2 year lessee and the thing starts bleeding oil or something.  Doesn't mean that the latter is actually a more "reliable" car.  It's all about reporting and how minor electrical glitches play vs serious mechanical issues.  And i don't think that balances them correctly.  Mechanical issues over the LONG term, are how i really evaluate reliability.  What's still going strong in 10 years?

0-60 mph in under 2.9 seconds

500+ mile range

140,000+ lb. towing capacity

100+ sqft storage capacity

16" ground clearance with adaptive air suspension

Full rolled-SST shell with armored glass

Self driving

$76,900 (and starting at $39,900 for the base model)

Un. Freaking. Believable. 

11 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

0-60 mph in under 2.9 seconds

500+ mile range

140,000+ lb. towing capacity

100+ sqft storage capacity

16" ground clearance with adaptive air suspension

Full rolled-SST shell with armored glass

Self driving

$76,900 (and starting at $39,900 for the base model)

Un. Freaking. Believable. 

This is 100% snake oil.

How far can you tow 14,000 lbs?  Their SUVs have demonstrated extremely poor towing range at anything near "max" towing.  They just suck down power and become far less efficient at those sort of high-demand scenarios.  It's not surprising an electric truck that weighs probably twice what an F-150 does, will win a "tug-o-war" based on electric instant torque and sheer weight which gives better traction.  Ya'll never done a tug-o-war against some beefy folks?  But i guarantee it didn't win that on the aggressive off-road tires it rolled onto the stage with to look cool.  Those have zero on-road traction.  Probably not even against an F-150 with 4WD engaged.  Not to mention...at the end of the day, it's a pretty much completely irrelevant test of what actually makes a truck good at towing.

Can you have windows that don't shatter?  Seems important, in a stressed shell design where the windows are critical structural elements.  You think that's cheap to replace?

You can get air suspension in Rams from years ago, and it's not really an advantage.  A lot of them even have a neato little valve under the passenger seat you can use to inflate stuff or whatever you feel like doing with it.

Steel is ******* heavy, and so is having a million batteries in your truck.  I honestly wanted to know a curb weight for this truck...more than anything, and they definitely don't want to say how many tons it weighs, so they're hiding it.  There's a reason the other truck makers have gone away from steel to aluminum and carbon composites to reduce weight massively.

Can you get it with an interior that actually has...anything in it, other that a giant iPad?  There's minimalism in interior design for a car...and then there's literally just not bothering, at all.  And sticking an ipad to the middle with some faux marble plastic around it, and calling it good.

Can you buy one without Elon's junk shoved up your bumhole?

There's a very serious place for a quality electric truck for a lot of people (and city municipal departments) who need a vehicle that can efficiently just hum out a handful of miles and home again.  But this ain't it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

There's a very serious place for a quality electric truck for a lot of people (and city municipal departments) who need a vehicle that can efficiently just hum out a handful of miles and home again.  But this ain't it.

I don't think Elon cares at all if they sell a single one of these. It was designed to go to Mars. That is why it is made out the same SST panels as the SpaceX Starship.

Tesla is just a R&D and beta test channel for SpaceX. They let people have fun with the cars so they can work out the design bugs, but the real mission is to develop the technology for Mars habitation. 

4 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I don't think Elon cares at all if they sell a single one of these. It was designed to go to Mars. That is why it is made out the same SST panels as the SpaceX Starship.

Tesla is just a R&D and beta test channel for SpaceX. They let people have fun with the cars so they can work out the design bugs, but the real mission is to develop the technology for Mars habitation. 

Maybe.  Or it's biding time until Elon can divest himself of the whole car thing and just sell batteries to someone to line his own pockets.  Either way, it's basically paying a fortune to get the "good version" of a vehicle, for the privilege of effectively "beta testing" it for him.  Which is kinda gross imo.

• 3 weeks later...

Wife and I bought a 2019 Kia Forte after her last car was totalled in an accident at the beginning of the month.

Really happy with the deal we got, though I'll admit I'm completely ignorant to the kind of deals that are out there. It was $4300 off original MSRP with Kia's 10-year warranty still in effect is if we'd bought it new, only 5,200 miles and the lone previous owner was the dealership we bought it from. We had planned on just buying new, but this saved us a good chunk of change.

It's a Kia, but whatever. She drives misbehaving children around for work all day and those little ****s don't deserve anything nicer. They're lucky it's not a Police Auction Crown Vic. 

Edited by Dome

33 minutes ago, Dome said:

Wife and I bought a 2019 Kia Forte after her last car was totalled in an accident at the beginning of the month.

Really happy with the deal we got, though I'll admit I'm completely ignorant to the kind of deals that are out there. It was $4300 off original MSRP with Kia's 10-year warranty still in effect is if we'd bought it new, only 5,200 miles and the lone previous owner was the dealership we bought it from. We had planned on just buying new, but this saved us a good chunk of change.

It's a Kia, but whatever. She drives misbehaving children around for work all day and those little ****s don't deserve anything nicer. They're lucky it's not a Police Auction Crown Vic. 

I have a 2007 Kia (2nd car now) and have driven it for 11 years now and very little issues

• Like 1

Just now, Malfatron said:

I have a 2007 Kia (2nd car now) and have driven it for 11 years now and very little issues

She had an 09 and drove it for 6 with just a bad window regulator to fix outside regular maintenance.

i was mostly saying they’re not fancy lol they get the job done though