The Car Thread

Dome

There are so, so many options out there, but if you aren't looking for a "luxury" vehicle i would recommend the new Jeep Cherokee. My parents got rid of their Durango for the Jeep, and it is a sweet ride. They got the fully loaded package and i am jealous of it. Took it on a trip to Ohio, loved the new fangled adaptive cruise control and it gets solid MPG for the big ol' tank it is.

My favorite SUV ever was the early 2000's Ford Excursions. 9 MPG, sure, but they could tow anything and had more interior space than a cargo plane

16 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The X3 seems like a real solid vehicle that just catches a lot of strays because it's not an X5.  Because it's less prestigious and...slightly less spacious.  The X1 used to be the ******* gem of the whole range.  But then they turned it into a Mini Cooper instead of a secret squirrel (previous gen) 3 Series AWD Wagon with extra ground clearance.  So now it's a FWD platform that is taller but less useful.

The X3 hasn't fallen to that fate yet.

I love the X3, it's just the visibility from it compared to an X5 or even something like an Audi Q5 is kind of lacking. And I guess when I say I love the X3, I do mean that but I also love the X5, just more than the X3 lol

16 hours ago, Tugboat said:

As for your conversion to a single Electronic Car...a lot of that really does depend on where you live and what you do with the vehicle.

I'll be the last person on earth to adopt one and honestly i hate them because they're ******* stupid.  They're all the space consuming road necessitating drawbacks of a normal car, but heavier and more expensive.  But without the one actual "range" attribute that makes cars worthwhile in my world.  Not to mention the lacking infrastructure.

But if you just live in certain enclaves of dense urban development with extensive EV charging stations...it'll probably be fine.  But also why not just like ride the train or something?  And if there isn't a train, there should be a train.  And i will never back down on this.

This is the reality of Electric Cars.  They're great at doing the exact thing that electric trains are exponentially better at doing.

They're not great at doing the things that combustion engine cars are good at doing, based on the infrastructure that exists.  Fueling stations vs Charging stations.  If you have to venture at all off the "beaten path" it's going to become a challenge.

Seattle area?  You're probably fine if you never stretch outside of that.  You could even run up into parts of Canada and be fine for the most part.  But for a lot of people it's simply not feasible.  But 400 miles is ambitious for most Teslers is the real world.  Especially if you've got a lot of people or luggage or whatever with you or hit traffic that isn't optimum.  Likely charging stations along the way becomes key.

If you think you can make those few road trips work, awesome.  

Personally, like 90% of my mileage is just driving trips that would require multiple full charges on a Tesla.  With only two real charging spots along the way.  Which are always busy now.  And it'd make it completely impossible to drive up any further. Lack of premium 91+ fuel probably makes it irrelevant to my specific case, but at least i know i could run my car on lower grade gas up there if i needed to for some reason.

But your situation really does sound like something that an EV would actually make a ton of sense for.  I just wouldn't go anywhere near Tesla because that company is ****ty snake oil run by a guy who has a history of over promising, under-delivering, and most of the things that Tesla cars were advertised to do...are worse than just other normal cheaper EVs from more established car companies.

So on this front with the EV, we test drove a Model Y Long Range and a Ford "Mustang" Mach E yesterday and we are now 100% not doing EV. First of all, both cars were SO HEAVY and stiff to drive that any "horsepower" just felt like it was completely necessary to move the cars.

But the Tesla was a nightmare to drive. Took us like 5 minutes to figure out how to swipe the keycard to get in, then another 5 minutes to figure out how to adjust the mirrors and go through all of the software menus to find basic car functionality things. Don't even get me started on how to figure out cruise control or anything like that. I've heard people say Tesla is a software company trying to make cars, but I didn't realize how true that was until I drove one yesterday. I'm sure it would be fine if you invested the time to go through the learning curve and just like take it somewhere where there's no traffic and you can learn everything, but my goodness.

Lastly, BLIND SPOTS EVERYWHERE. Holy mother of God. The entire thing is just relying on the screen instead of relying on your own eyes, and that's really where I drew the line with Tesla.

So yeah now we're deciding between an Audi Q5e or the BMW X5 45e (since we can't afford a 50e which is really the one I want).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, adamq said:

There are so, so many options out there, but if you aren't looking for a "luxury" vehicle i would recommend the new Jeep Cherokee. My parents got rid of their Durango for the Jeep, and it is a sweet ride. They got the fully loaded package and i am jealous of it. Took it on a trip to Ohio, loved the new fangled adaptive cruise control and it gets solid MPG for the big ol' tank it is.

My favorite SUV ever was the early 2000's Ford Excursions. 9 MPG, sure, but they could tow anything and had more interior space than a cargo plane

Jeep reliability is just downright awful though. My family has had jeeps forever and there's always something wrong with them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Jeep reliability is just downright awful though. My family has had jeeps forever and there's always something wrong with them.

I have definitely seen that on a couple Wranglers, but we abused them.. in mud and on rocks 😂

39 minutes ago, adamq said:

I have definitely seen that on a couple Wranglers, but we abused them.. in mud and on rocks 😂

We've never had Wranglers, always Cherokee/Grand Cherokees and the amount of transmission/engine/random functional stuff that has crapped out is just insane.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 12:19 AM, Tugboat said:

But if you just live in certain enclaves of dense urban development with extensive EV charging stations...it'll probably be fine.  But also why not just like ride the train or something?  And if there isn't a train, there should be a train.  And i will never back down on this.

I admit that I’ve come to this conclusion too.  While I do live in a rural area, I think it’s horrible that, with the exception of a few cities around the world, the public transportation system is lacking.  Even for moderate sized cities like the one I work in with a population of 50,000, the buses only run by some stops twice a day.  That’s not really helpful for anyone, and is basically forcing you to get some kind of car. 

I experienced the DC metro when I was dating someone two years ago, and I was floored at how much of the city wasn’t actually covered.  Almost all of NE DC isn’t really connected, and I still wonder why that’s the case.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah.  Chrysler / FCA tend to land at the bottom of pretty much every sort of "reliability survey".  Jeep tends to be a big part of dragging that down.  They also have a long history of putting bum transmissions and key components and things into their vehicles.  They seem to habitually "underbuild" things.  Especially models outside the Wrangler that usually gets at least a somewhat more "serious" approach because they know the audience very well might be using them for actual SUV things off road.

I was just browsing through another one of those surveys this morning.  And sure enough, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge all cluster right around the bottom.

Though interestingly, they also noted that EVs tend to be measurably less "reliable" than their gasoline engine comparables.  Though it kind of looks like Tesla and their absolutely garbage tier sloppy build quality, haphazard ad hoc component sourcing/switching, and stupid expensive and time consuming repairs may have significantly influenced that as well.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 10:18 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And right on cue lol

It's basically just a meme at this point.

Why.  Do they not put proper components in their vehicles?

Edit:

the upper control arm ball joint and steering knuckle may separate and cause the wheel to fall outward, which could result in losing control of the vehicle and increasing the risk of a crash.

Well no ****.  That does indeed sound like it would "increase the risk of a crash".  lmao.  My steering wheel no longer connected to the wheel bone.  Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 5:23 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is what I've heard as well which is a shame b/c I love their design.

I've had a Toyota, Mazda, and Honda. All 3 were extremely reliable but the Mazda was hands down the most fun to drive. This is why I went w/ a CX 50 for my most recent car. I absolutely love it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

This is what I've heard as well which is a shame b/c I love their design.

I've had a Toyota, Mazda, and Honda. All 3 were extremely reliable but the Mazda was hands down the most fun to drive. This is why I went w/ a CX 50 for my most recent car. I absolutely love it.

car and driver has it at a 9.5/10 so I'd say you did alright :)

Not enough HP for me. I'm becoming somewhat of a HP snob now that I've driven a BMW X5 M and currently an m440i xDrive. I can't do anything under 300HP now even though I don't track anything I just love having it for accelerating.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Not enough HP for me. I'm becoming somewhat of a HP snob now that I've driven a BMW X5 M and currently an m440i xDrive. I can't do anything under 300HP now even though I don't track anything I just love having it for accelerating.

The Mazdas in the higher trims with the 250hp turbo definitely has some kick and I love driving it, but yeah probably not quite comparable to something like a BMW that is more geared for performance. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yeah, did a ton of research to figure out what I wanted but I knew I would lean Mazda. The scores had to be terrible for me not to go that route lol. 

I'm too cheap to ever get a BMW or any kind of luxury car. The second a bug splatters on it I'd be pissed lol. They're gorgeous vehicles and I would enjoy driving them but just can't get myself to ever pull that trigger.

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah, did a ton of research to figure out what I wanted but I knew I would lean Mazda. The scores had to be terrible for me not to go that route lol. 

I'm too cheap to ever get a BMW or any kind of luxury car. The second a bug splatters on it I'd be pissed lol. They're gorgeous vehicles and I would enjoy driving them but just can't get myself to ever pull that trigger.

I thought the same thing before I realized that buying a slightly used 4Runner and a slightly used BMW cost literally the same lol

The new prices for BMW are actually insanity and I would never do that in a million years.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I thought the same thing before I realized that buying a slightly used 4Runner and a slightly used BMW cost literally the same lol

The new prices for BMW are actually insanity and I would never do that in a million years.

This is interesting. How many years old was the 4Runner vs the BMW? I would think the gap would be 3-4 but could be wrong. Never even thought about shopping for the Beemer